Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

COG on his way then....

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We took a gamble on CMS after he didn't exactly set The Championship alight during Peterborough's solitary season at this level thinking that Murray would struggle even more to raise his skill and ability.

How did Murray do in 2011/12 again ? (apart from scoring at the Amex of course)

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Correct! :lolol: So we now have the goal against Leeds, the goal at Burnley and the cross at Forest. Three golden moments then.

I still maintain you could count the MotM displays on one hand in the 3.5 years he's been here. It's not very good for the most expensive acquisition in club history really, is it?

He scored the winner at Derby in our first season in the champ.

Sadly for me CMS will always be remembered not for the cross v Forest but for when we were down to 10 men at Selhurst following Dunks sending off on what seemed like the first min.

We managed to keep them to a 1-0 lead (scored by FFS from a corner just before half time) so we kicked off the second half. Somehow just after KO CMS was put thru. Just the keeper to beat. Racing away. Go on. Go on. Go ON. If we score we may just hang on for a draw here.

He missed. Badly. Just the keeper to beat.

Palace go down the other end. Murray does his usual fall over his feet to win a pen (he did it for us loads of times) . Takes pen. 2-0 down. End up losing 3-0

He could have gone down in Albion folklore. For years to come we would be singing about ten men at Selhurst and CMS the hero. But no :(

Also he fluffed that chance against Burnley when we were down to 9 men right at the death.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
CMS did NOTHING

forest.gif

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

He scored 8 goals in a side that had just flirted with relegation the year before so they were very much all about staying up.

Dougie the season after quite clearly then set the team up to play to his (considerable) strengths including Wilf slinging in crosses and falling over. A. Lot. FFS also discovered how to take penalties whilst in a Palace shirt because he certainly forgo how to in an Albion one.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
He scored the winner at Derby in our first season in the champ.

Sadly for me CMS will always be remembered not for the cross v Forest but for when we were down to 10 men at Selhurst following Dunks sending off on what seemed like the first min.

We managed to keep them to a 1-0 lead (scored by FFS from a corner just before half time) so we kicked off the second half. Somehow just after KO CMS was put thru. Just the keeper to beat. Racing away. Go on. Go on. Go ON. If we score we may just hang on for a draw here.

He missed. Badly. Just the keeper to beat.

Palace go down the other end. Murray does his usual fall over his feet to win a pen (he did it for us loads of times) . Takes pen. 2-0 down. End up losing 3-0

He could have gone down in Albion folklore. For years to come we would be singing about ten men at Selhurst and CMS the hero. But no :(

Also he fluffed that chance against Burnley when we were down to 9 men right at the death.

Strangely, I have a similar memory. Coventry away. New Years Eve and its 0-0. All of a sudden the ball breaks to CMS who has the keeper to beat and we can all go out on the lash. CMS though has other ideas. He doesn't work the keeper. He doesn't make the net ripple. He does, however, find row S of the Ricoh. 1 chance, 1 complete balls up. Despite Coventry resembling a Sunday league side they go on to win 2-0. Albion have Paynter and CMS up front so the 'nil' bit shouldn't come as a surprise.

What was a surprise is how on earth we beat Southampton in the next game. I seriously thought we might be in a relegation battle after that performance.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So we keep him based on sentimentality then? Based on one good day out in Nottingham. He sadly is quite clearly not good enough.
I would keep him because the pittance coming in, even with the reduced wage bill, won't offset the possibility (irrespective of how unlikely) of CMS going on a little goal scoring run.

Sadly though I'd snap the hand off of anyone offering 'Ashley Barnes' money, and I wouldn't give him another year.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Scored a few less than CMS but we're only talking about 7 and 10 when 20 in league and cup should be the benchmark. Murray's 30 goals the following season was seriously skewed by the number of dubious penalty kicks awarded when he and Winifred made Tom Daley look like a novice.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
he's now had several managers who apparently 'haven't used him properly' in this division....surely there comes a time when he simply needs to adapt his game

or is it simply that he's not good enough to change how a team plays to suit him?
Fed up with hearing excuses about CMS not playing in the right system blah, blah, blah etc, he simply isnt and hasnt been good enough - his goal record in the championship is poor and he needs 4/5 chances to score 1 - sorry but a huge mistake letting Murray go and CMS in but enough has been said that in numerous other threads

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
can't see the point of selling O'Grady. He started playing now and there's no guarantee a replacement will be better.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
I thought the club were willing to sell COG to get themselves out of the contract (length and wage) whilst we had a buyer (sheff utd).
His concern maybe that Hughton only started with him because CMS got injured.
COG holds the ball up so well and that has given the midfield players the confidence to support him or make runs past him as they know he will hold it.
Based on what we will lose financially if we are relegated it is worth holding onto COG to get the goals to keep us up.
At this rate his valuation is increasing so if he leaves in the summer (due to family) we would easily make a profit on him.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here