Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Club Legend ... Do we have a new one?

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I come from a starting point as a fan that leads me to give the Legend label to Peter Ward, Brian Horton and latterly Bobby Zamora ( imho)......Bruno also fitted that billing until his failed glory chase to the West End..... I am beginning to think Herr Pascal Gross has just moved into that category.... do you guys agree, or are there any other players who hit those standards and deserve that label.?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Dunk, Solly and Gross I reckon

Depending on what some of the others do, they may fall somewhat from grace or whip up the legend flagpole.

I think that a player needs to be with us for at least 5 years to be classified as a legend . . . maybe more?

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
If you can define your criteria for assigning legend status it might be easier to debate. Why those three and not, say, Mark Lawrenson?
For me Lawro was top drawer, but at times, not consistently, he has been fairly low key about his time with us.... so using my emotional measure alongside my measure of him as a player, he doesn't quite fit into the Legend category.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I have to come on here and admit I was one of those who said he was past it a season or so back. Time for him to step back and let someone else in. How wrong was I?
Problem is a Legend is always someone who does something we remember. Wardy & Zamora scored goals, lots of them, and that is what we remember. Lawrenson stopped the opposition scoring and we don't remember that.
Being in a team with a World Cup Winner and players valued at £mega millions he's just a cog but none the less a cog that makes the wheel work.
Of those in the team now I expect only Dunk will see out his playing days here and move upstairs within the club and get the well deserved Legend status for the next generation.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I guess everyone has their own criteria but for me a player meets 'legendary' status for their service to the club or for a contribution that has huge significance.

On one hand you have Dunk, Hart, March type players who are or have been great servants and on the other less high profile players who gain the status for a much shorter term exploits like Robbie Reneit or Lloyd Owusu.

I'd never put Owusu in the same category as Dunk but he takes the legendary status in my mind because without his contribution in that awful season I feel there might have been a domino effect that would mean we wouldn't be the club we are today.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Dunk, Solly and Gross I reckon

Depending on what some of the others do, they may fall somewhat from grace or whip up the legend flagpole.

I think that a player needs to be with us for at least 5 years to be classified as a legend . . . maybe more?
Dunk and Gross absolutely for doing it consistently in the top flight,
Garry Nelson was a massive favourite of mine back in the day superb finisher in my eyes a legend.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I expect he will,... but at the moment he is simply Mr Dependable to me.... can't explain it.
Perhaps he needs to retire for that to click over. Legends are surely only really put in place when they retire?

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Perhaps he needs to retire for that to click over. Legends are surely only really put in place when they retire?
Agree with this- you need to wait to people leave, (apart from Robbie R, who gained it the second the final whistle blew)
For me - a legend is someone who can't be replaced in the same way by the next players along, and who brings back all those special memories for you in later years.

In the words of Joni Mitchell (Big Yellow Taxi):

"Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got til its gone
They paved paradise
And put up a DIY store"

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
There is absolutely no metric under which Dunk doesn't qualify as a legend. He will go down as the club legend.
That's fine in this era - but we absolutely had legends form the past surely?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here