Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Club ELO Rankings

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
This thread is now officially smouldering. A couple of weeks of fanning the flames, may be all that is needed.

Screenshot 2021-02-04 091257.jpg

Palace on 1700
Mike Bailey's Seagulls on 1701

BSC Young Boys - now way down the list.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I had been so looking forward to this, one of two major milestones. It feels like a bit of a damp squib.

The pitiful and miserable performance Palace put in last night at Leeds has seen their ranking plummet on the ELO Ratings. Behold

http://clubelo.com/Brighton
Brighton ranked 53rd in Europe on 1690
Palace ranked 54th on 1689

12 points more and this will rank as the best Brighton team EVER.
and then we have a four point gap to Palace setting things up nicely for the game on the 22nd

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
My God all those ELO puns and no one worthy enough to wrangle in the battle of Marston Moor 1644 into a Turf Moor mash up: The Battle of Turf Moor (‘twas 1-1 at 16:44) or indeed Ellie takes her bow (one for the ladies team there) ...

Not nearly progressive enough, GP would be aghast, agog even... bonus point for the dude who mentioned dreaming of 4000 that’s a great track from a fabulous album... still searching for a quad promo of the 1st LP ... one day, one day!

Naturally I’d prefer it if the whole thing was called BLACKMORE but heck, you can’t have it all.

Whisper in the night.

Last edited:

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
My neighbour has the reg ELO 2. One day I'll ask him if he is anything to do with the band.
And one for the kids. The spoken words at the end of Mr Blue Sky are 'please turn me over' as it was the last track on side one of an album.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
This is now getting very interesting (to me at least)

http://clubelo.com/Brighton
We have had a bit of a mini adjustment upwards, presumably this is based on beating the team who beat the team, after the recent English successes in the various European club competitions.
The net result is we sit on 1698 points, just three below our highest ever ranking score.

A win tonight and I will be asking the mods to rename the thread to Greatest Brighton Team ever.

By way of insurance I will leave a couple of kippers down here, so if it all goes horribly wrong, the fish pun idiots can fight it out with the Electric Light Orchestra afficionados, to bury the thread in tedium.

http://clubelo.com/Ranking
This link shows you the teams above us and what we need to beat our highest ever European ranking of 36th (currently 49th). Not yet, but still a possibility for this season.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
A quick bounce for this one. I am just waiting for last nights draw to be added to the website.

Hint this team is currently level with the highest ranking ever achieved by Brighton and Hove Albion under Mike Bailey and last nights draw will confirm the push past that mark and further away from struggling Palace.

The only mark left standing is that the Mike Bailey team reached the rank of 36th best team in Europe, at a time when English teams were dominant. G Potts and the boys have not yet reached this mark, but I have every confidence they can get there.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-04-21 Football Club Elo Ratings.png
    Screenshot_2021-04-21 Football Club Elo Ratings.png
    77.6 KB · Views: 388

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Time for a stats bomb bounce I think

Screenshot_2021-05-21 Football Club Elo Ratings.png

Comfortably our highest ELO ranking score ever. That brief dizzy height of 36th best team in Europe is also looking tantalisingly close. It is theoritically achievable this season, but might need all of the following.

1 We win at Arsenal
2 Villa and Wolves both lose tricky home fixtures.
3 English team clean sweep Europe. ( It might me an adjustment in the relative strengths of the leagues in our favour)
See below for details.

Screenshot 2021-05-21 084257.png

Definetly achievable next season.

AIT76

The wisdom of a fool
Jul 29, 2004
My neighbour has the reg ELO 2. One day I'll ask him if he is anything to do with the band.
And one for the kids. The spoken words at the end of Mr Blue Sky are 'please turn me over' as it was the last track on side one of an album.

My number plate, quite by co-incidence, ends ELO. I'm constantly worried that following motorists picture me fist pumping to Evil Woman turned up to 11.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
A quick snippet from the latest ELO Ratings
Elo: 1725 (Best: 1725, reached on Aug 15th, 2021), Rank: 40 (Best: 36, 7 days in total, last on Feb 13th, 1982)

ELO_Rankings.png

That best placing of 36th best team in Europe, looks very achievable from here.
Then take a look at the clubs around us.History, transfer fees, wages, ground capacities. We are truly punching above our weight.
Finally just sneaking onto the list before the cut off, who is that I see jostling with the Young Boys?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Up another three places after the win on the weekend
Another Highest Score and just one place off our highest ever ranking.

Representing ENG England. Manager: Graham Potter (since Jul 1st, 2019).
Elo: 1733 (Best: 1733, reached on Aug 22nd, 2021), Rank: 37 (Best: 36, 7 days in total, last on Feb 13th, 1982)

ELO_Rankings.png

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
By The Third Day we could be close to Eldorado. It's time to Face the Music, or call Time on the whole thing. Otherwise we will have to Come Out of Nowhere and make the Discovery that our journey to Xanadu has left us Alone in the Universe.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
We start the season ranked 86th in Europe. http://clubelo.com/Brighton

That is four places and points above Villa, but adrift of everyone else including Sheffield United and Norwich.
Palace sit at 29th

I hope to be able to bore you all stupid this season with continued bounces of this thread, as we start to put this right.

Sigh - Such a great tracker of progress, but wait for it, this bit is hilarious. Apparently there was a band called the Electric Light Orchestra in the seventies and people like used to refer to them as ELO.

If you are in need of some pun based fun, maybe check out their discography on Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_Light_Orchestra_discography

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
We find ourselves at an interesting Dr Arpad Elo crossroads, which way will we turn?

Screenshot 2021-09-13 091401.png

Victory over Leicester and we will break both our highest score (again) and highest ranking (from 1982).
However coming off the ropes and suddenly looking like their legs have recovered who is that in 45th place?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
and there you have it.

Screenshot 2021-09-20 085808.png

Highest ranking score, since records began. Highest placed ranking since records began and just look at the Graham Potter graph. Just look at that graph!!!
Bloody fantastic. Congratulations to Graham Potter, the players the board and the loyal supporters.
How high can we go?
Who will be the last moaner standing?

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
14 places above Palarse so I'll take that.

No bloody idea what the ELO rankings are though. Despite the cracking songs in the thread. Do love a bit of ELO.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
No bloody idea what the ELO rankings are though.

It's a ranking system that awards (or removes) points based on the result of every single match a club plays. The number of points won or lost depends on the relative ranking scores of each team that participates. If we play and beat Man City, for example, we stand to get a lot of ranking points, because there's 272 ranking points between us and them currently. Man City would lose the same number of points as we win. If we play Man City and draw, we'll gain a few points (as the lower ranked team, we're expected to lose so a draw = a gain) and Man City lose a few. The win is worth a lot more to us, though. If Man City beats us, they'll gain points ... but not anywhere near as many as we would by winning the same fixture.

If you look at Man City's recent matches it shows how it works reasonably well:

vs Arsenal - ELO ranking points advantage before the match to Man City of 111 points. That gets converted into a 50% chance that Man C win, 25% Arse win, and 24% the draw (remaining 1% is rounding errors). Man C won, as expected, and gained 5.1 points and Arsenal lost 5.1 points.

vs Saints - ELO gap of 281 points in favour of Man C. So Man C win % = 73%, Draw = 16%, Loss = 11%. Saints got the draw, so Man C *lost* 6.7 points. Saints gained 6.7 points.

vs Brentford - ELO gap of 406 points. Man C win % = 84%. They won, and gained just 1.6 points. Brentford lost 1.6 points.

For us:

We lost 1.8 points for the draw vs Palarse.
But we gained 4.1 and 1.7 points from the draws that followed vs Chelsea and Leicester, as they are higher ranked. We got 9 points from beating Watford. Our draw against Chelsea earlier (on 29th Dec) got us even more points than the more recent one, because at the time the rankings points gap between us was larger.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here