Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Claude, Arsenal fan tv - "seaside crap!"

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Typical plastic supporter

Why is he a plastic supporter? He clearly goes to games, is from North London and supports his local team. In what way is that 'plastic'?

He's a complete ****, by the looks of things, but this 'plastic' thing that some people seem to label anyone who supports a big club with, doesn't make sense.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I think at the end of the day it must be very frustrating for supporters of arsenal and Liverpool, in that they have everything set up to be world beaters, they have all international players and some of the best managers around , yet they struggle to convert that into the two titles that actually matter in club football. Premier league champions and Champions league.

I look at us and the reactions of most of our fans is that we are happy to be here and staying here is an absolute bonus, not a right. These top clubs are miles ahead of anything we can be...Man City, man united, Tottenham, arsenal, Liverpool , Chelsea. And that goes for every other team in the premier. Leicester was a fluke...granted a season long fluke, but intimately a fluke that gave unfounded optimism to the rest of the league.

Every now and again you get fluke results...palace winning at Chelsea, that sort of thing, but the cream will always rise to the top and in arsenal's case, for all the barbs thrown at them, they are up to 5th and have put a decent run together.

My mate goes every week to watch arsenal home and away and he says that the atmosphere at the emirates is only really good when they are playing the top sides, and dreadful against the weaker sides in the prem. although he says the away support they have are really noisy ...completely different to the home support. TO be fair that is not that far from how we are, although I still think we all know we are battling and need our support at home. Anything we get away is a bonus.

We all have been to grounds where the atmosphere is non existent ...we have even been like that at home the last few years too...

When one minute you are playing Real Madrid and the next brighton , you can understand where the " seaside crap" comes in. He is just a dick.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I think at the end of the day it must be very frustrating for supporters of arsenal and Liverpool, in that they have everything set up to be world beaters, they have all international players and some of the best managers around , yet they struggle to convert that into the two titles that actually matter in club football. Premier league champions and Champions league.

I look at us and the reactions of most of our fans is that we are happy to be here and staying here is an absolute bonus, not a right. These top clubs are miles ahead of anything we can be...Man City, man united, Tottenham, arsenal, Liverpool , Chelsea. And that goes for every other team in the premier. Leicester was a fluke...granted a season long fluke, but intimately a fluke that gave unfounded optimism to the rest of the league.

Every now and again you get fluke results...palace winning at Chelsea, that sort of thing, but the cream will always rise to the top and in arsenal's case, for all the barbs thrown at them, they are up to 5th and have put a decent run together.

My mate goes every week to watch arsenal home and away and he says that the atmosphere at the emirates is only really good when they are playing the top sides, and dreadful against the weaker sides in the prem. although he says the away support they have are really noisy ...completely different to the home support. TO be fair that is not that far from how we are, although I still think we all know we are battling and need our support at home. Anything we get away is a bonus.

We all have been to grounds where the atmosphere is non existent ...we have even been like that at home the last few years too...

When one minute you are playing Real Madrid and the next brighton , you can understand where the " seaside crap" comes in. He is just a dick.
Oh why did you have to summarise it like that? I was enjoying throwing shit at them

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

Respectfully, I disagree. To find a similar atmosphere in the home end at Brighton to yesterday you would need to go back to Withdean days. I don't know if you went but if not then I don't think the even with the comments about lack of atmosphere on here could prepare you for the morgue that masquerades as a football stadium. Quite simply this was the worst atmosphere by a country mile. I don't buy the argument either that it's down to the opposition. I've been to see Brighton play Liverpool and Spurs at their grounds recently and both these clubs' fans managed to create a bit of an atmosphere. A mate who is a Reading fan says similar about Man U, Man City and Everton when they play the big boys.

The problem is specific to Arsenal and a lot of it is down to pricing out their traditional fanbase, this was very clear in the number of empty seats, half-half scarves and sheer number of foreign 'fans'. Arsenal's hoardings are littered with proud boasts of their worldwide fanbase. The other problem is that their hardcore support still there is right up in the Gods in the clock end, miles from the away fans and difficult to hear on the rare occasions that they get a song together. I've been to Chelsea recently and even though they've sold their soul to the devil they still manage to get a bit of a sing-song together and hey are nothing like as bad as The Emirates.

Of course Arsenal are miles ahead of us on the pitch but the people that own Arsenal forget that the fans are every bit as important in shaping a club's identity as the football being played and frankly, I say this with all sincerity, that where the fans are concerned Brighton have a far superior experience.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Respectfully, I disagree. To find a similar atmosphere in the home end at Brighton to yesterday you would need to go back to Withdean days. I don't know if you went but if not then I don't think the even with the comments about lack of atmosphere on here could prepare you for the morgue that masquerades as a football stadium. Quite simply this was the worst atmosphere by a country mile. I don't buy the argument either that it's down to the opposition. I've been to see Brighton play Liverpool and Spurs at their grounds recently and both these clubs' fans managed to create a bit of an atmosphere. A mate who is a Reading fan says similar about Man U, Man City and Everton when they play the big boys.

The problem is specific to Arsenal and a lot of it is down to pricing out their traditional fanbase, this was very clear in the number of empty seats, half-half scarves and sheer number of foreign 'fans'. Arsenal's hoardings are littered with proud boasts of their worldwide fanbase. The other problem is that their hardcore support still there is right up in the Gods in the clock end, miles from the away fans and difficult to hear on the rare occasions that they get a song together. I've been to Chelsea recently and even though they've sold their soul to the devil they still manage to get a bit of a sing-song together and hey are nothing like as bad as The Emirates.

Of course Arsenal are miles ahead of us on the pitch but the people that own Arsenal forget that the fans are every bit as important in shaping a club's identity as the football being played and frankly, I say this with all sincerity, that where the fans are concerned Brighton have a far superior experience.

Quite. While the level of success Arsenal have achieved is a goal to aspire to, the trade-off for pricing their fanbase out of the game at the expense of tourist-fans is a cautionary tale should we ever achieve that level of aspiration.

The club has not done well by its fans here.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have seen a few of those Arsenal TV clips on You Tube.

I don't think I have EVER seen their fans happy!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Whilst the Amex game has had poor atmospheres on occasion - Villa last season is one that springs to mind - it's never been silent for an entire 90 minutes as we experienced yesterday.

I really am struggling to recall experiencing a worse home atmosphere anywhere at any ground over the four divisions we've played in.

I completely get "it's just Brighton" and it will be different when the big clubs visit, as well as Champions League nights under the lights, but yesterday was abysmal, it really was.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
As an additional note, Ady and I were in the press area for the game, and so therefore in a 'neutral' section.

Rest assured from where we were sitting - as if everyone didn't know this - Brighton fans outsung the Arsenal fans by 50 to 1. WHAT A NOISE! There was a brief 'we're the North Bank, we're the North Bank...' call-and-response rendition from the Gooners, but that was about it. Brighton fans were brilliant that day, and even from the other side of the stadium, we'd have to stop talking to each other every time Brighton piped up, as we couldn't be heard.

I'd also say that for the fact that this was officially the largest ever attendance at a Brighton league match, the number of empty seats in the middle and upper tiers would make me suspect that the actual attendance (i.e. - how they're supposed to be calculated) record was still intact.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I have seen a few of those Arsenal TV clips on You Tube.

I don't think I have EVER seen their fans happy!
I think there's one with a punch up

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Whilst the Amex game has had poor atmospheres on occasion - Villa last season is one that springs to mind - it's never been silent for an entire 90 minutes as we experienced yesterday.

I really am struggling to recall experiencing a worse home atmosphere anywhere at any ground over the four divisions we've played in.

I completely get "it's just Brighton" and it will be different when the big clubs visit, as well as Champions League nights under the lights, but yesterday was abysmal, it really was.

There must be seasoned Arsenal fans who wonder where it all went wrong [amidst going all right]

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I've seen Claude before and that comment is not untypical. He once called Stoke " a pub team " It is a result of years of watching his team roll over all the ' lesser ' teams and a sort of entrenched elitism. He is really only interested in the big teams and anything else is barely worth bothering about.
It is an attitude prevalent amongst a lot of followers of the elite group of clubs i.e the league only really revolves around them and anyone else is a gatecrasher. One or two of the other contributors at least spoke about Brighton and how the game could easily have gone back to 1-1.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd also say that for the fact that this was officially the largest ever attendance at a Brighton league match, the number of empty seats in the middle and upper tiers would make me suspect that the actual attendance (i.e. - how they're supposed to be calculated) record was still intact.
But but but there was only a 1000 empty seats.

Capacity attendance 60,432
Actual attendance 59,378
Record attendance 60,161 (Arsenal vs Manchester United, 3 November 2007)

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

Only heard the home fans once on tv. Whereas ours were vocal most of the way through.
As I said in another post, they are gorged on years of winning the majority of games against the non-elite and so home games are like a comfortable seat, with a drink and a cigar and a wait for the inevitable goals and victory. It is a comfort zone that only years in the top 4 has created. They don't feel they have to make an effort in at least two thirds of their home games, as victory is normally assured.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Only heard the home fans once on tv. Whereas ours were vocal most of the way through.
As I said in another post, they are gorged on years of winning the majority of games against the non-elite and so home games are like a comfortable seat, with a drink and a cigar and a wait for the inevitable goals and victory. It is a comfort zone that only years in the top 4 has created. They don't feel they have to make an effort in at least two thirds of their home games, as victory is normally assured.

I'd imagine the players feel much the same, although obviously would never admit it.
Making it such a shame the Albion allowed that pattern to continue.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I'd imagine the players feel much the same, although obviously would never admit it.
Making it such a shame the Albion allowed that pattern to continue.

Now what are you on about? Are you saying that the atmosphere at the Amex is getting progressively worse? Seriously, give your head a shake. You've been posting utter rubbish of late.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here