Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Classical music

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Probably my favourite, most spellbinding piece written by an only too rare female composer with a colourful past.

If the youngsters want to keep some street cred, then try someone like Nils Frahm or Olafur Arnalds. Olafur's new album is absolutely fantastic, Island Songs, performed in rural parts of Iceland at the hectic rate of one per week. A bit quirky, but magnificent.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Probably the same day when I start wearing slacks, velcro fastening shoes and order one of those big two footed slippers from a Sunday supplement magazine.

:lolol: I've been listening to classical music since I was about 9 or 10 and I haven't started wearing any of them yet.

The term "classical music" is an incredibly wide one: there's a world of difference between, say, the lush romanticism of Schumann or Mendelsohn and the stark minimalism of Pärt. Or between the rudimentary polyphony of Machaut and the choral complexity of Bach.

My personal preference is for choral music - I listen to Bach pretty much every day - and opera. But although I'm a keen listener of Radio 3 and a semi-regular buyer of classical music mags, I'm not a fan of everything: I'm left cold by the romantics, not too fussed about chamber music and can't get into lieder.

Classical music is such a simplistic term for a broad spread of music: lumping some of these genres together is like lumping together Irish folk and hip-hop

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
My musical highlight this year, among many, was seeing Steven Isserlis and András Schiff playing in the Beethoven-Haus Kammermusiksaal, Bonn.

Performing 3 sonatas on Beethoven's own cello and fortepiano, in the music hall of the house where he was born... a simply extraordinary experience.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Anyone here listen to it?

Just recently I've been putting it on in the car and really enjoying it but it's fair to say I don't know my Brahms from my Liszt.

On that note, last night country file played a bit during the programme and I'd love to find out what it was, how do I go about doing that?

Whilst I see your query has been answered, you can always use Shazam.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
My musical highlight this year, among many, was seeing Steven Isserlis and András Schiff playing in the Beethoven-Haus Kammermusiksaal, Bonn.

Performing 3 sonatas on Beethoven's own cello and fortepiano, in the music hall of the house where he was born... a simply extraordinary experience.

I think Titanic has won this thread

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Now you see I had that in my head and searched Master and Commander Soundtrack.

It doesn't seem to be on there.

it definitely is... and gets credited on IMDB.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0891002/

71TDbUQEBaL._SL1263_.jpg

Ah yes, but there is a flaw in that.

I didn't know what it was called or who it was done by so went through all the bits listed as on the Soundtrack on Youtube, It simply wasn't there.

If however it was listed as "That bit of music where the young lad gets cut adrift that Countyfile will also use in 2016 in the Wiltshere episode" I may have stood a chance.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
:blush: perhaps I won't mention we are currently singing a series of Haydn masses at the Cadogan Hall with the RPO?

Umm, do you sing with the City of London?? I'm going to the performance on 21 Oct - Heiligmesse, I think that night?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Umm, do you sing with the City of London?? I'm going to the performance on 21 Oct - Heiligmesse, I think that night?

Yes indeed. Sadly I am away with family in Germany for that one :(

Hope you enjoy the concert... it is a great piece of life-affirming music. :)

Have you heard the CoLC before?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Yes indeed. Sadly I am away with family in Germany for that one :(

Hope you enjoy the concert... it is a great piece of life-affirming music. :)

Have you heard the CoLC before?

It's a shame you won't be there. We could have struck up an Albion call and repeat. I've attended a CoLC performance roughly once a year since the early 80s. The early ones under Cashmore, ofc. It's a magnificent choir. Hugely impressed you sing with them...

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
My dad always listened to classical music when I was growing up so I got into quite a lot of it via that but you can hear an awful lot of good stuff used ion TV eg one of my favourites 'At The Castle Gate' from 'Pelleas and Mellisande' by Sibelius, the theme tune for Sky at Night for years. Also grew up with a love for recordings of the 'Hoffnung' concerts, anyone who says classical is serious always needs to listen to these. For a taster, another of my favourites (although taken from the Proms on this occasion):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUSfixfPQXU

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
It's a shame you won't be there. We could have struck up an Albion call and repeat. I've attended a CoLC performance roughly once a year since the early 80s. The early ones under Cashmore, ofc. It's a magnificent choir. Hugely impressed you sing with them...

Glad you enjoy our efforts. I joined in 2006 and it is right up there with the Albion in terms of bringing joy into my life :)

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
Classic FM is often on in our house, particularly at meal times. I particularly enjoy "Saturday Night at The Movies" - it's amazing how many movie scores are influenced by many past Composers, for example John Williams' Star Wars score tips a nod at Puccini and Holst's Planets Suite.

My first son was born to the calming "Islands" by Ludovico Einaudi who we had the privilege of seeing live in concert at the Dome back in March.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uffjii1hXzU

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here