Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Classic Live albums

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
The original Kiss live album was just immense,.. even if you didnt go completely for their music in a big way, it just epitomised the big show, big venue concerts of the 70's....

wadhurstseagull

Jul 26, 2003
I've been listening to Cheap Trick's Budokan live album this morning. Arguably one of the greatest live albums out there...by arguably the original "we're big in Japan" band.

Over to you.

Agree - this has always been top of my list - until I bought the expanded version of the gig. Shows how edited the original was. The expanded version now gets extensive plays where as the original yellow vinyl edition has been retired.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Queen - Live Killers (1979)

attachment.php

Second that with a second preferential vote to If you want Blood.

wadhurstseagull

Jul 26, 2003
Going to go out on a limb here and suggest Warrior Rock by Toyah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I started my gig-going at the Odeon in the 80s, 1984 I think, and frequented it and other Hammersmith haunts a fair few times that decade.

Same here, the days when you sent a SAE and a cheque to the box office! I was into rock and metal in those days and literally saw every middle to main band of those times. In Hammersmith I remember the Clarendon and Palais as well as the all-seated Odeon. Happy days and it started, and cemented, a love of live music I still have.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm reading Costello's autobiography at the moment and he mentions Cheap Trick as a rarely noticed influence on The Attractions. Its good to see them getting a bit of credit as they spent quite a few years being dismissed and always had interestingly twisted songs. He also mentions Tom Petty's 'American Girl' as an influence that he wouldn't have shouted about at the height of punk. That's on another very good live album 'Pack Up The Plantation.'

I read a review of this book and it comes across as a good read even for non-ardent fans. Ill give it a go.

I agree about their twisted songs; I mentioned Surrender earlier...it's very clever in how it melds an infectious pop song with quite creepy and dark lyrics.

Canfan

Nov 8, 2014
Beyond Hope
Sensational Alex Harvey Band - Live. I think I wore out my vinyl copy back in the day. Maybe because I saw them live around the time it was released. Great stuff, great memories.
Tom Waits - Big Time. The movie is essential late night post drinking viewing.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
If you are looking for sublime, The best of live (Japanese double album), by Jackson Browne, features one live album. The sound quality is stupendous and the musicianship and song quality is what you'd expect from the greatest musician that ever lived. Patty Griffin's 'A kiss in time'. It's astonishingly good. There's also dozens of unofficial live albums by Springsteen that are worthy of investigation.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Good in depth knowledge there :thumbsup:

In fairness to McGuinn, the Byrds versions of Dylan songs are very very different and sometime hardly recognisable from the Dylan versions. The Byrds style very clearly influenced Petty. Didn't Petty and the Heartbreakers also spend a while as Dylan's backing band?
I was lucky enough to see Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers appearing as Dylan's backing band at Wembley Arena, on the Saturday after the Great storm of 1987. Stupendous doesn't even begin to touch it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A few calls for Stop Making Sense....

Give tHeaven a spin as its sublime.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Sensational Alex Harvey Band - Live. I think I wore out my vinyl copy back in the day. Maybe because I saw them live around the time it was released.

That's another question: has anyone been at a gig that appeared on a live album?

I was at a Sussex Uni Can gig that appeared on the Can Live album (well, two tracks did). Anyone been there for an entire live album?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
That's another question: has anyone been at a gig that appeared on a live album?

I was at a Sussex Uni Can gig that appeared on the Can Live album (well, two tracks did). Anyone been there for an entire live album?

I saw Marley in the now flattened Ibiza bullring, some of that concert got onto Babylon by Bus I think.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I read a review of this book and it comes across as a good read even for non-ardent fans. Ill give it a go.

I agree about their twisted songs; I mentioned Surrender earlier...it's very clever in how it melds an infectious pop song with quite creepy and dark lyrics.

'The Dream Police' does the same. Paranoid lyrics with a really catchy tune. In his documentary 'Pop, What Is it Good For' the unashamedly intellectual and pretentious Paul Morley makes a good case for this kind of paradox being the key to the attraction of great pop music. It doesn't seem to be available online apart from this small excerpt discussing 'This Charming Man'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3Hn6wWjTZc

Although I am an ardent fan, I have to say that Costello's book has been an excellent read so far. He is generous to his peers and influences and fairly self effacing. His loving but conflicted relationship with his unconventional singer father and the effort and care he takes to tell the story of his orphaned trumpet playing grandfather have lifted it above most pop music memoirs.

Mexican Seagull

Jan 16, 2013
Mexico City
Not sure how we got this far without mentioning:

Live Bullet - Bob Seeger & the Silver Bullet Band
Blazing Away - Marianne Faithfull
Rock & Roll animal - Lou Reed

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here