H Block Offender
Dec 4, 2006
Horsham
football002s.jpg

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Didn't a player claim that heading the old style football gave him brain damage? I cant remember his name????

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
I've still got a '84 Tango. Still plays as well now as it did then although I don't.

All the black has faded off so its scuffed white

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
One of the best playground balls was the orange plastic 'Wembley' ball. In some case, it was even possible to repair punctures with a hot knife.

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
great thread;

i had a tango once, my dad used to drive trains past millwalls training ground and there was one hanging around, in true traindriver gross-misconduct flair style, he stopped the train (commuters? ... meh?), jumped out of the cab and picked it up - playing chicken indeed - alas the thing had been sitting in a puddle for a while and part of it's skin was whithered and wrinkled, i'm not sure we ever played with it but i do remember a trip to wisden sports to buy an adapter (the king of all small football accesories, gold-dust-esque) to blow it up.

those rubber balls, we had them through school, one attempt by myself to hoof the bugger 30 yard directly into the ball bag at PE went spectacularly wrong. the big orange bastard pinging of my laces like a peach but with enough swerve to be labelled 'banana' it promptly flew off course and hit my teacher sqaure in the face, she collapsed to the ground, claret everywhere like she'd been shot. hitting teachers in the face with a ball are cherished school moments, i recall co-editor smacking a ball in the face of a playground-duty design teacher at blatch, shattering his smoked-glass mug of coffee in the process.

lastly, upon a trip to berlin in '06, i stumbled accross a sport shop selling mini replicas of all the adidias world cup balls from 1974 to present, alas they'd sold out of all but the telstar (my personal fave) which i snapped up for a measley 4 euros. they are about the size of a handball.

happy days indeed.

PDS005007417.jpg

anyone remember these??? absolutely useless as they blended beautifully with the colour of grass when being used under lights. Never understood why the army dodn't use them as camoflage

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
My mate had a luminous Tango around '87-'88.

He was so proud of it, he'd 'send you off' if you toe-punted it

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That is the absolute DON of all footballs.

The AZTECA version ran it CLOSE though...

tango5.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here