Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Classic albums

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
:lol: I love it 'tune!!!'. All 3 are great musicians - I'll look up the 'light as a feather', I probably know the tune without knowing it's name. What a shame Chick Corea passed away, just such a talent.
I was lucky enough to see Miles Davis in London (must have been in the 80s??) when he'd moved into his jazz/funk era - I prefer his earlier stuff to be honest, but it was great to see the man live.
Vein Melter is just such a lovely track from Headhunters, so atmospheric.

Light as a feather dates from 1972.
The second side (on the original vinyl) was a 23 minute track “Sometime ago - La Fiesta”, of which the middle 7 or 8 minutes is one of my favourite bits of Latin Jazz ever.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Thanks, I'll be giving that a listen when I have some time tomorrow 👍🎹🎶

And I’ll go back to Vein Melter.

I was never lucky enough to see anyone like Miles Davis, but I did see Joe Zawinul twice in his later years. Terrific. Just such a quiet unassuming man who seemed to nurture the talent of others.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I dug out my Panini Football 1980 Album the other day... It's about 20 stickers short, but it's got all the 'shineys'....

I guess this doesn't count ???

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Some more that have sprung to mind, may already have been suggested

Axis Bold As Love - Jimi Hendrix
Air Conditioning - Curved Air
Holland - The Beach Boys
Silk Degrees - Boz Scaggs
Carried To Dust - Calexico
Grievous Angel - Gram Parsons
Wrote A Song For Everyone - John Fogerty
Plans - Death Cab For Cutie
These Streets- Paolo Nutini
Sky Blue Sky - Wilco
Scott - Scott Walker

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Another mention for ‘Before the Flood’ Bob Dylan and the Band.

A couple more
2d2990ea3c9b0f6890592e40c15a95c0.jpg

Very first Album out of Beggars Banquet label.

And

e1d1db2fcb67af9ae43c8816d4cc7f8d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Some more that have sprung to mind, may already have been suggested

Axis Bold As Love - Jimi Hendrix
Air Conditioning - Curved Air
Holland - The Beach Boys
Silk Degrees - Boz Scaggs
Carried To Dust - Calexico
Grievous Angel - Gram Parsons
Wrote A Song For Everyone - John Fogerty
Plans - Death Cab For Cutie
These Streets- Paolo Nutini
Sky Blue Sky - Wilco
Scott - Scott Walker

Eclectic but all of those I have heard are wonderful, I'll have to sample the rest!

Mrs Jakarta is a huge Scott Walker fan - I think teenage crush might had a bit to do with it...:lolol:

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
They may or may not be classics but they are played at Jakarta Towers on a regular basis and don't think any have been mentioned yet?

Atom Heart Mother - Pink Floyd
Tago Mago - Can
Led Zeppelin III - Led Zeppelin
Five Leaves Left - Nick Drake
Groundhogs - Thank Christ For The Bomb
My Life in the Bush of Ghosts - David Byrne and Brian Eno
The Raven - The Stranglers
Skylarking - XTC

And a compilation live album...

Greasy Truckers Party - Brinsley Schwarz, Hawkwind and Man (the single Magic Michael track gets skipped over :lolol:)

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Light as a feather dates from 1972.
The second side (on the original vinyl) was a 23 minute track “Sometime ago - La Fiesta”, of which the middle 7 or 8 minutes is one of my favourite bits of Latin Jazz ever.

Well that was lovely, thank you! I found a live version (quartet format) on YouTube, just effortless playing and quite uplifting. I noticed there are also live videos of Chick playing this song in duo format with Stanley Clarke, and also Gary Burton. I like those musicians too so will catch up with those when I have time. Thanks again for the heads up 👍🎶.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
There's some good shouts so far. Here's my two penneths worth.

Some Reggae ones first that I don't think have been mentioned yet. This particular list could go on forever for me, so I'll stick to just half a dozen, in no particular order.

Carlton And The Shoes - Love me Forever.
Tenor Saw - Fever.
Cedric 'Im' Brooks - United Africa.
The Abyssinians - Forward.
Augustus Pablo - King Tubbys Meets Rockers Uptown.
Count Ossie And The Mystic Revelation Of Rastafari - Grounation.

Now on to some totally randoms that I don't think have been mentioned yet either...

Stimmhorn - Schnee.
The Cinematic Orchestra - Motion.
DVA - Fonok.
Brandt Brauer Frick - You Make Me Real.
Everything But The Girl - Eden.
S.E. Rogie - The Palm Wine Sounds Of S.E. Rogie.
Buddy Tate - When I'm Blue (Paris,France 1967) The Definitive Black & Blue Sessions.
Da Lata - Songs From The Tin.
Horace Silver - Song For My Father.
Bheki Mseleku - Meditations.
Virginia Rodrigues - Nos.
Bobby Hughes Experience - Fusa Riot.
Susana Baca - Eco De Sombras.
Babba Maal - Missing You (Mi Yeewnii).
Toumani Diabte/Ballake Sissoko - New Ancient Strings.
Momo Wandel Soumah - Afro Swing.
King Creosote/Jon Hopkins - Diamond Mine.
Gotan Project - La Ravancha Del Tango.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Another great music thread - however it should be renamed 'Superb stuff you will never hear on the radio' - perhaps R6 is the exception that proves the rule?

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Not sure I’ve seen this one listed … but a favourite album of mine since I bought it in 1978 …

John Miles - Zaragon

A couple of superb guitar solos …

I saw him live a few times in the 1970’s … standing front of stage with his vintage Gibson Les Paul.

For some reason neither Apple Music or Spotify seem to have it available to stream!

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Not sure I’ve seen this one listed … but a favourite album of mine since I bought it in 1978 …

John Miles - Zaragon

A couple of superb guitar solos …

I saw him live a few times in the 1970’s … standing front of stage with his vintage Gibson Les Paul.

For some reason neither Apple Music or Spotify seem to have it available to stream!

It is available on YouTube.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
I’ve as yet refrained from posting a list of albums - only one country one which unsurprisingly doesn’t float many NSC boats. Time for another(not country) which I haven’t seen elsewhere I don’t think. I found it captivating - the album was I Am A Bird Now and this was the headline song from it - just stunning.
When I were a lad you didn’t see many female cellists with tattoos I can tell you!

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
And I’ll go back to Vein Melter.

I was never lucky enough to see anyone like Miles Davis, but I did see Joe Zawinul twice in his later years. Terrific. Just such a quiet unassuming man who seemed to nurture the talent of others.

Great that you got to see Zawinul, yes very unassuming. Weather Report were a good band too.

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
Great thread: lots of suggestions that I want to checkout or revisit. The OP was asking for jazz recommendations, and there have been some great ones. One of my favourites is The Blues and the Abstract Truth by Oliver Nelson. He was mainly known as a songwriter and arranger, but he was no slouch on the tenor sax. The line up on this record is insane: Freddie Hubbard, Eric Dolphy, Bill Evans, Paul Chambers and Roy Haynes. Every track is good, but it kicks off with the sublime Stolen Moments, which is in my top 5 jazz songs.

Another fantastic album that hasn't been mentioned is Rahsaan Roland Kirk's The Inflated Tear. Kirk was incredibly creative and unorthodox, and played a variety of reed and brass instruments (sometimes at the same time!) He made many wonderful records, but the eclecticism and whimsy of this one make it well worth hearing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here