[Albion] Clapping while singing "Sussex By The Sea"

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
We (fans) need to slow down. GOSBTS and every other song is sung way too fast. I don’t mean ‘when the Spurs’ slow because that sounds shite, just get back to ‘normal’ speed.

The speed this song and others are sung winds me to the point where I often give up half way through because too many people choose to go at a 100 miles an hour

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
As far back as I can remember Albion fans have been singing-
Good old Sussex by the sea x 2

Is correct. And nobody bothers with the sowing mowing tractor shite verse. Leave that to Ipswich. Our focus is stand or falling, and GOSBTS. What with Norman Wisdom messing about with, and our slight word change version, the club ought to issue its own definitive version based on what people have largely sung and got used to. As you say, never heard anyone sing anything other than GOSBTS twice as the chorus.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Not much support on here.

Oh well, we just carry on with the singing of our unique club anthem being a bit shit. No problem I guess.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Not much support on here.

Oh well, we just carry on with the singing of our unique club anthem being a bit shit. No problem I guess.

Not much support might mean the majority love it just as it is. Never ever sounds a bit shit to me. I sing Good old Sussex by the Sea at the top of my voice, I clap and, just for good measure always go high and sing a descant for the final 'by the sea'. Oh and I can't remember a lyric from one day to the next, so I'd suggest keep the words on the board:D
P.S. The organist played GOSBTS at my dad's funeral and it was Monty Python style at about 90mph. No clapping though...

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
The clapping and screens help keep the timing...proof is what happens to the speed when it gets sung without clapping (during a game)

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
We (fans) need to slow down. GOSBTS and every other song is sung way too fast. I don’t mean ‘when the Spurs’ slow because that sounds shite, just get back to ‘normal’ speed.

"Graham Potter's Blue & White army" would be an obvious candidate, no reason why we need to do that so quickly, and it'd be a lot more obvious we're singing it if we do and won't get the few pundits who don't really pay attention claiming we don't sing his name

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
Not much support might mean the majority love it just as it is. Never ever sounds a bit shit to me. I sing Good old Sussex by the Sea at the top of my voice, I clap and, just for good measure always go high and sing a descant for the final 'by the sea'. Oh and I can't remember a lyric from one day to the next, so I'd suggest keep the words on the board.
With respect, as a fellow devotee of SBTS, it sounds great to you because you can hear yourself singing it and the familiar words of the song resonate with all their wonderful meaning.

It would be so much better if the overall effect was of the Albion crowd singing as one without the clapping to mess it up. When listened to on radio or TV most of what you can hear is the tannoy music and the clapping...

Outside of the Albion, nobody knows about SBTS as a great and unique club anthem. I think that is a shame.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
The Athletic tell me we only adopted SBTS when we moved to the Amex. :rolleyes:

Screenshot_2023-02-26-16-48-19-722_com.theathletic.jpg

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
The Athletic tell me we only adopted SBTS when we moved to the Amex. :rolleyes:
Pissant journalism.

I still hear 2 x Sussex but sea, and you can tell, as opposed to you may tell.

If you can't do it properly, f*** off.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Saints had a quite horrific version of that earlier this season, with some sort of local amateur brass ensemble trumpeting it at a ferocious pace.
I hate to disagree, but I loved that. Thought it was great. Starting slowly and building. Far better than our pre match build up I’m afraid.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

""Sussex By The Sea""​

It's a shame we have lost the old Sussex dialect.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
This deserves its own thread.

I was one of the main driving forces behind the campaign that ended up with us singing the proper words to Sussex By The Sea.

That success is magnificent. It is so much better at The Amex and even better when done by our away fans.

But needed now is a similarly successful campaign to GET RID OF THE CLAP...!

Other clubs - notably Tottenham, Southampton, Liverpool and there are others - have worked out their anthems sound 100 times better when sung slower and without clapping.

Why can't we do the same? The fans representatives could play a role. It would need to be engineered for a while - but would quickly be established as the norm from which only a few real weirdos deviated.
Did you consider naming the thread using the five words you have in capital letters at the end of paragraph 4?

GET RID OF THE CLAP would have been very entertaining too!

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
This deserves its own thread.

I was one of the main driving forces behind the campaign that ended up with us singing the proper words to Sussex By The Sea.

That success is magnificent. It is so much better at The Amex and even better when done by our away fans.

But needed now is a similarly successful campaign to GET RID OF THE CLAP...!

Other clubs - notably Tottenham, Southampton, Liverpool and there are others - have worked out their anthems sound 100 times better when sung slower and without clapping.

Why can't we do the same? The fans representatives could play a role. It would need to be engineered for a while - but would quickly be established as the norm from which only a few real weirdos deviated.
Is it ok if I still sing the descant on the last 'by the sea'? Actually could you start a campaign for everybody to sing it?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
As far back as I can remember Albion fans have been singing-
Good old Sussex by the sea x 2
And we're going up
To win the cup!

(This is a fascist thread. Next, someone will be suggesting that we are can only wear this season's replica shirt, and must never leave before the final whistle).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports