Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Clapping the Away Attendance

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
I rather care for the idea that all these fearsome Albion hard-men can become - literally - embarrassed by applause at the Amex for opposition supporters. Do they suddenly go all red in the face, staring at their feet in case some Palace black-clad wannabe Danny Dyer YouTubes all that shameful evidence to the Holmesdale massive - and far beyond?

It's sad to be reminded once a fortnight that the very concept of sportsmanship, and appreciation of our part in a wider football community, has completely eluded Albion's neanderthal knuckle-draggers. (If you're Millwall, it's part of the job description. But Brighton?)

We're not exactly famous ourselves for travelling in huge numbers to games that extend much beyond the south-east of England. When I find myself in the away stand at Middlesbrough or Wigan, amongst just three or four hundred others, it occurs that those loyal supporters would be far more likely than most to appreciate the dedication of those who come down to the Amex for the reverse fixture.

For those who claim that applauding the away attendance in some way diminishes our own support, or even affects events on the pitch, a reality check is required. If it surprises the visiting fans, so much the better. It's what we do at the Amex, it's an overwhelmingly positive gesture and, despite a tiny minority's crimson-faced cringing, it's not going to change.

However, while happy to applaud the efforts of supporters of traditional clubs who routinely travel long distances, I find it impossible to extend that sentiment to those arriving in the white and black of the bogus club that is Milton Keynes Dons – and was glad to have the opportunity to give yesterday's game a swerve.

Footnote: I've heard it rumoured that some of our self-appointed stormtroopers don't actually go to games, instead confining all that cringing and raging to their sputum-spattered keyboards. But I'm sure that can't be true. Can it?

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I think there are more Exeter fans at Didcot for their first round match that there were MKD fans yesterday

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Perfectly put, Gulliver's. I don't see any reason to be embarrassed about a moment's expression of kinship with supporters - we leant hard on that kinship during the darkest days. I certainly usually join in. (Yesterday was not one of those usual days.) You don't want to clap, don't clap. But get embarrassed about it? Nuts.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I do and will always applaud the away fans. They earn it just as our fans deserve respect for their efforts following the team.
It is the fans' support we applaud not their club

I choose to clap based on the respect I feel for the fans as a whole not as individuals.

That was a pathetic turn out from a team who didn't actually have far to travel. Out-matched by Hull, Preston (and no doubt Boro) who genuinely deserved to be clapped for bringing close to 900 almost the full length of the country.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Is this what a record-breaking run does? Creates arguments and leads to supporters being called 'pathetic' because they applaud another team?

I applaud the away supporters, because they've made the effort to come to the Amex and paid money to the football club. They didn't have to, they could have stayed at home and deprived the club of income that could have been gone towards wages, infrastructure, new players, extra jobs, whatever it is.

In the case of MK Dons, you might not agree what has happened, but I can't get hung up on that, I'm afraid. It's not as if every supporter is the same - take the veteran who was on the pitch before the game. He wanted to go and watch football, but didn't fancy Luton or Watford. So he went to Stadium MK. Is anyone going to have a pop at him?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
This is the first time I've realised that people are actually "clapping the away attendance"...!!! I'm not normally so slow on the uptake but I always used to think we were just spontaneously self-congratulating about the size of the whole crowd.

I guess now that we are getting "only" 23 or 24K, and no-one is very impressed by that, it is more obvious that some people are choosing to applaud the away fans for turning up.

I agree with everyone who thinks this is a ridiculous rugger-bugger style abomination that has no place at football. In WSU I normally just ignore the clapping but on a rare visit to the NS on Saturday was happy to boo.

theboybilly

This is the first time I've realised that people are actually "clapping the away attendance"...!!! I'm not normally so slow on the uptake but I always used to think we were just spontaneously self-congratulating about the size of the whole crowd.

This is what I don't get - there is only one round of applause, so how do you know people are applauding the opposition attendance? (I wouldn't have a problem with it by the way)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here