Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Claiming on house insurance - should we?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Our roof leaked over Christmas. Water was coming through the ceiling. The upshot is that we'll need c. £5k of repairs.

My wife thinks we should put in an insurance claim. I think they'll rake it all back in increased premiums and penalise us for the rest of our lives (this is my belief about all insurance for some reason).

Does anyone on NSC know what really happens? It's a lot of dough, and presumably why I've been paying for instance for 35 years.

Your advice, as ever, much appreciated.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Insurance coy will probably say roof damage is wear and tear

Our roof leaked over Christmas. Water was coming through the ceiling. The upshot is that we'll need c. £5k of repairs.

My wife thinks we should put in an insurance claim. I think they'll rake it all back in increased premiums and penalise us for the rest of our lives (this is my belief about all insurance for some reason).

Does anyone on NSC know what really happens? It's a lot of dough, and presumably why I've been paying for instance for 35 years.

If it was me I would claim. Never a good time for it to happen, least of all at Christmas.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
If you’re not going to claim why bother having it

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
this is rather the purpose of insurance. yes, there will be increase premiums though only moderatly in my experience, and you can go elsewhere if think they're taking the piss.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Sound like a doctor
I wish. I did however work for an insurance company until April of this year on the house insurance side of things. I'd just consider all bases before thinking about a claim, particularly with the increased cost of insurance claims and the impact that's going to put on providers. Apart from subsidence, escape of water is normally a higher excess than a standard claim for a reason.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We claimed for water escape on the main pipe coming into the house. Our floor is concrete so it had seeped to a metre perimeter from the pipe. The kitchen units were old (not plastic legs) so the bases had blown on two of them. The slate floor needed ripping up, asbestos found, and treated, new floor tiles and complete new kitchen units. This was November 2021, with work finally finished in April 2022. Our premium hasn’t gone up, renewed in June, and the kitchen looks wonderful.
It was very stressful at the time especially when asbestos was found, but the loss adjuster and insurance were great. We’re insured with Nationwide, who are underwritten by Royal & Sun Alliance. Our excess was £350.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
I realise this is not your case, but the position of insurance companies in Spain regarding water damage is - if it comes through the roof it's your problem (except caused by lightning strike), however if it comes in at ground level it's our problem.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I have claimed for every insured damage to my houses for 50 years. Rebuilt a garage, 3 replacement kitchen ceilings, one replacement kitchen, couple of carpets and this year a modest £750 worth of roof repairs following storm damage. It's why I have insurance. No discernible increase to my premiums following any claims. I can't think of any reason why you wouldn't claim in full. Think it through. Even if your premiums went up by a massive £500 per year, which they won't, it would take 10 years to repay £5k. And you would have changed to a cheaper insurer long before the decade is up.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
We claimed (burglary) 3 years ago and it didn't impact our premiums

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here