City Break Ideas

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
We're mid-late 20s. So just a bit of sightseeing, walking around, eating, drinking etc.

Lots of breathtaking sights within a short drive of Reykjavik. Might not be the best shopping destination in the world, well not unless you have a Coutts gold card, but plenty of bars, friendly locals, and it's just a fab country. Only a couple of hours flying time. EasyJet and Norwegian Air fly from Gatwick.

And you can take her to the Blue Lagoon and have a romantic afternoon/evening sitting in the hot water with a glass of wine, watching the sun set over the lava fields.

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
St Petersburg. Stay at the Kempsinski and eat at the rooftop restaurant there overlooking the Hermitage. Putty in your hands mate.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
New Addington?

Cheap, short travelling time, and easy to get round using the tram system.

How about this hotel? http://www.hotelnormantonpark.co.uk/ It's rated #20 out of twenty hotels in Croydon on TripAdvisor and has some quite tremendous user reviews...

CROYDON COUNCIL DSS HELL HOLEEEE
This is the most scariest dirtiest place I've ever stayed in my life, it's full of croydon council tenants who are dependant on drugs or alcohol but this is still being used as a hotel for unknowing guests, there is carpet in the bathroom, black baths and toilets, no security doors or even security at that, no lighting at night,..

Vile Disgusting Place- worst hotel in the UK

This is positively the most awful disgusting place I have ever visited. Booked a week as was working nearby but decided not to stay after seeing the rooms. Paid a cancellation fee only to discover that my credit card had been charged for the whole stay. Had to threaten court action to get my money back.

Sociallly unacceptable
Please do not be foolish enough to consider this a hotel. The reason why Croydon Council have done nothing is that they have contracted most of the rooms here for the dossers of Croydon, mostly alcoholics and IVDUs. Friendly I am sure if you have nothing better to do than sit around and tolk crap to mostly unfortunate or even inadequate people.
Room Tip: stay away at all costs

“Beware enter at your own risk!!”
I checked into this 'hotel' after finding it on-line. The first thing that was overwhelming was the almighty stench which appeared to be coming from an old man named, Ronald Pocock, who was purporting to be the owner. After waiting for sometime for Mr Pocock to return he showed me to my room. Once again, the stench was unbearable and there was a drunk person yelling demanding alcohol. I went to tell Mr Pocock I would not be staying and would like a full refund which had been taken over the telephone. Mr Pocock became very agitated and said he would need to speak to the accounts department, I found this rather comical as it was clear this hovel is a one man band. After, patiently waiting for over an hour, I decided to cut my lossses and leave never to return and I beg all of you to do the same...this place needs to be condemned....

I'm sure it's just hype though. Mrs Springal would love an afternoon at Ikea and the Whitgift Centre, wouldn't she? :)

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I fancy going to Iceland at some point, what's it like price wise?

It's by no means a bargain, but not as bad as people think. It's mainly because they have to import virtually everything, certainly a lot of food, as their climate is not conducive to growing stuff. You can get a hotel for much cheaper than a London one though, and my return flight cost about £120 I think (some sort of EasyJet special offer).

You can always eat every evening at the Icelandic Hot Dog stall on the harbour. Cheap, tasty, and if it's good enough for Bill Clinton...

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
I've just booked a long weekend away with my wife to Budapest. I've heard lots of good things about it, but won't be able to report back on my experiences until July. Sorry, that wasn't much help really.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
New Addington?

Cheap, short travelling time, and easy to get round using the tram system.

How about this hotel? http://www.hotelnormantonpark.co.uk/ It's rated #20 out of twenty hotels in Croydon on TripAdvisor and has some quite tremendous user reviews...

CROYDON COUNCIL DSS HELL HOLEEEE
This is the most scariest dirtiest place I've ever stayed in my life, it's full of croydon council tenants who are dependant on drugs or alcohol but this is still being used as a hotel for unknowing guests, there is carpet in the bathroom, black baths and toilets, no security doors or even security at that, no lighting at night,..

Vile Disgusting Place- worst hotel in the UK

This is positively the most awful disgusting place I have ever visited. Booked a week as was working nearby but decided not to stay after seeing the rooms. Paid a cancellation fee only to discover that my credit card had been charged for the whole stay. Had to threaten court action to get my money back.

Sociallly unacceptable
Please do not be foolish enough to consider this a hotel. The reason why Croydon Council have done nothing is that they have contracted most of the rooms here for the dossers of Croydon, mostly alcoholics and IVDUs. Friendly I am sure if you have nothing better to do than sit around and tolk crap to mostly unfortunate or even inadequate people.
Room Tip: stay away at all costs

“Beware enter at your own risk!!”
I checked into this 'hotel' after finding it on-line. The first thing that was overwhelming was the almighty stench which appeared to be coming from an old man named, Ronald Pocock, who was purporting to be the owner. After waiting for sometime for Mr Pocock to return he showed me to my room. Once again, the stench was unbearable and there was a drunk person yelling demanding alcohol. I went to tell Mr Pocock I would not be staying and would like a full refund which had been taken over the telephone. Mr Pocock became very agitated and said he would need to speak to the accounts department, I found this rather comical as it was clear this hovel is a one man band. After, patiently waiting for over an hour, I decided to cut my lossses and leave never to return and I beg all of you to do the same...this place needs to be condemned....

I'm sure it's just hype though. Mrs Springal would love an afternoon at Ikea and the Whitgift Centre, wouldn't she? :)

Sadly this destination failed to be recognised as a city, despite an enthusiastic, campaign by the local council n 2012. Otherwise it would certainly be my top recommendation for a city in need of breaking.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I highly recommend Budapest too :thumbsup:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Berlin is very good but with only 2 days I would leave that for when you can spend a bit more time there, lots to see. I can recommend Cologne highly. The view from the City's tallest building, A truly stunning Cathedral, good bars and restaurants, nice folk. I enjoyed it there a lot.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Had a couple of days in Barcelona with the missus last year, fabulous city. La Ramblas is great, but if you go down the sidestreets there is a whole miriad of terrific little bars and restaurants tucked away. And the cathedrals are genuinely, jaw-droppingly spectacular inside.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
I'm planning on going to Munich in March, but it's not getting much love (other than from Trigger). Should I be concerned?

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
If u haven't been before go to Venice.

Most beautiful city in the world IMHO.

Won't be smelly or too overrun at this time of year and if u shop around needn't be that expensive either. Loads to do and see.
Been 4 times. Would love to go again.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Id go to Bruges good deals on the tunnel at the moment take the car and load up on the way back. Also only a short distance to drive.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
My absolute favourite is Budapest. It's cold this time of year, but there's outdoor skate parks and swimming pools that are an awesome experience.

They tend not to be too great at English, though.....

Lots of great eateries and bars. I really need to go back there soon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports