[Football] Christian Eriksen

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Just saw the news. Absolutely shocking. Incredible job from the medical teams at the stadium, so relieved for Eriksen… hopefully he’s going to be ok [emoji120]

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
How on earth is this match allowed to resume tonight? As I'd backed Christian Eriksen as top Euro 2020 scorer, I'd also put a tenner on him for first goal this afternoon? So through no fault of my own I've now lost my money.

Thoughts and prayers :tosser:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I am so happy that people like you exist. Just makes me feel warm, cosy and safer knowing that someone as smart as you can be on a football site with silly me :) If i ever see you at a game i'd love to get you a beer. Smart people should be celebrated more.

p.s. it's spelt enlargement ;) JOKING

My typing, proofing and, yes, I admit, my spelling are shite.

I am a tedious windbag in real life.

Oh, hang on....:facepalm: :wink:

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
How on earth is this match allowed to resume tonight? As I'd backed Christian Eriksen as top Euro 2020 scorer, I'd also put a tenner on him for first goal this afternoon? So through no fault of my own I've now lost my money.

Gobsmacking and I'm done with the tournament regards to betting. UEFA are not fit to run European football.

Yikes.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Only if you have an inherent problem 'channelopathy' (an electrical problem caused by a mutation that affects a cardiac ion channel) or hypertrophic cardiomypathy (a geneitic mutation that makes heart cells get abnormally large from exercise, as opposed to 'normal' enlarged.

Drug use is another issue entirely. Columbian marching powder can trigger cardiac arrhythmias but
I doubt any footballer does enough of that for it to be an issue.

*cough* Maradona *cough*

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Will he need a pace maker after an event like that?

Probably an implantable defibrillator. It is the size off a fag packet, sits between the fat and muscle near your shoulder, and can deliver a electric shock to your heart in the event of an arrhythmia.

I’m on my third one now, and they have saved my life over 60 times.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I thought that after Muamba had his ‘ episode’ that all professional players were scanned for Brugada, long QT, etc.
I also understood that it was one of these checks that picked up Connor Goldsons problem, although I know that wasn’t arrhythmia related.

Indeed. Hence my comments about it being unlikely he has 'pathological' (extra big) heart enlargement.

Not sure they screen for channelopathies such as Brugada though. If they don't, they should :shrug:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Given what happened no way are players in right frame of mind to continue playing the game tonight and should not be asked to. This is all about UEFA looking after their own interest, not about the welfare of the players

I understand the players made the decision themselves once they found out Erickson was safe.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Glad they’ve restarted, especially for the fans there. Good news on his recovery, so get on with it. BBC coverage got a bit mawkish for me, once we heard he was going to be okay, could have been a little more cheery at such great news.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Watched it with my 13 year old daughter, fortunately my wife called me out of the room just seconds before it happened and my daughter immediately went on her phone. By the time I returned and realised what was happening, we had missed most of the traumatic images, but assumed he'd died. Such a relief he's alive and teenagers have short attention spans.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Whilst I’m definitely no athlete, I’ve been tested for this.......the ECG at my annual (work) medical showed up some ‘anomalies’ so I go sent for a consultation. Anyway, a few weeks later and after a fairly unpleasant couple of hours in an MRI machine with various tubes and stuff being injected the consultant said it (left ventricular hypertrophy in my case) was down to doing a lot of endurance running and poses little risk. Somewhat spookily I had all the tests 3 years ago and had a letter from the consultant yesterday suggesting he takes another look to make sure things are still ok.

Indeed. Keep an eye on this. Be pushy to ensure you get tested. The arrhythmias and events like today are extremely rare. It is a sliding scale of probabilities.

There are many types of cardiac arrhythmia. A mate of mine (coincidentally a cardiac electrophysiology professor) has catecholamine-depended ventricular tachycardia. Totally unexplcted. He's on beta blockers and good to go.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018

Gobsmacking and I'm done with the tournament regards to betting. UEFA are not fit to run European football.

Throughout all this I wish Christian Eriksen a full recovery. It's not his fault whatsoever.

I see a 0-0 draw or 1-0 Denmark played out in a sombre mood inevitably.

Happy to send you the tenner, once I’ve calmed down

FFS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Always remember my old dad, who played non league many, many years ago telling me he was in a game where one of the opposition had a heart attack and died.

Just shocking how it can happen to an elite athlete though. Shows it can happen to anyone.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Indeed. Keep an eye on this. Be pushy to ensure you get tested. The arrhythmias and events like today are extremely rare. It is a sliding scale of probabilities.

There are many types of cardiac arrhythmia. A mate of mine (coincidentally a cardiac electrophysiology professor) has catecholamine-depended ventricular tachycardia. Totally unexplcted. He's on beta blockers and good to go.

After my first episode, I didn’t have another one for 18 months, then the docs changed a medication I was on for another unrelated problem. The night I started the new tablets, I had 3 arrhythmia, all treated by shocks from my ICD, so they took me into cardiac care ward, and the next day gave me a beta blocker, even though it had “NO BETA BLOCKERS’ in 3 inch high letters on the front of my medical docs.

Within half an hour, I had another arrhythmia, and the only shock I have had while awake.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Obviously, I'm hoping Erikson makes a full and complete recovery.

However, when my time comes to leave this earth, what a way to go go, just jogging around and the lights go out. I would rather that than a 6 month terminal cancer sentence where only pain an anxiety awaits.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Commentator keeps calling the goal scorer a ‘national hero’ for his goal that separates the sides.

I’m pretty sure the heroes are sat on the bench with the medical equipment today. Let’s pocket the superlatives for the players. I’m not really enjoying the game..

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
A mate of mine (coincidentally a cardiac electrophysiology professor) has catecholamine-depended ventricular tachycardia.

You must be a right pain in the arse at Scrabble.

Me: “Dog. Five points.”
HWT: “Oh, I was waiting for that D. Catecholamaine-depended ventricular tachycardia. Triple word score”

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Watched it with my 13 year old daughter, fortunately my wife called me out of the room just seconds before it happened and my daughter immediately went on her phone. By the time I returned and realised what was happening, we had missed most of the traumatic images, but assumed he'd died. Such a relief he's alive and teenagers have short attention spans.

I missed it, busy with diy, my Lad playing guitar in the man cave. . . .TV was on, when I looked the pitch was empty. . . So I rewound, wife and I saw, and both gasped . . . I told my lad a few minutes later I was going for a swim and taking the dog out, mentioned Eriksen had collapsed on the pitch, he replied . . . " well he is getting on a bit' teenagers!

So Good to hear he's ok, If something horrific like that happens you want to be the centre of attention with all the best gear 10 feet away . . . . Not down the beach on your own!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports