Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris O'Grady Signs for an Undisclosed Fee (Updated)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If you were a Leicester fan, how would you feel about spending 7.5 million on a striker who has had 1 good season in the championship ?

I don't think Ulloa is worth anywhere near 7 million personally but he is almost certainly better than whoever we are likely to sign with what I expect to be the very small proportion of the fee likely to be spent on him.

If we were going to use the money on the squad I'd be very much in favour of selling Ulloa for 7 million. If we're not I'd rather he stayed :shrug:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If you were a Leicester fan, how would you feel about spending 7.5 million on a striker who has had 1 good season in the championship ?

Given the £120m in the bank, and the fact Ulloa is highly rated for his overall play in the Championship by a lot of the press, I'd feel great.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Few comments from the Barnsley board:

"Personally if he turned down a move to Charlton because he didn't want to uproot his family why is he suddenly going to shoot off to Brighton which is further than London - unless the wages on offer are much more than Charlton offered perhaps."

"Thing is he clearly doesn't want to play for us
We need to thank him for his efforts and move on."

"Nothing less than £1m. Bare minimum."

"Let's hope so. Replacement for Ulloa? Who's actually not as good as COG."

"Apparently the figure is 'substantial' according to the club."

Seems a bid has been accepted and talks will get underway tomorrow. Think the fee is somewhere more than £500k and less than £1 million.

A substantial bid for O'Grady from a Barnsley viewpoint could be anything up to £300k. Wasn't it Barnsley who put in a £50k bid for Greer a couple of seasons ago ? :lol:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
So were signing a player who got 15 goals last season in a dogsh*t Barnsley side for at most £1 Million and we are selling a player who got 14 goals last season in a decent Albion side for £7.5 Million + add-ons.

Great bit of business by the club, if O'Grady can be consistent - it would be the bargain of the century. £1M for 15 goals a season at this level isnt bad, rather spend that on O'Grady than some youngster from the Premier League with no experience.

A lot depends on what we're signing O Grady for? If it's as back up to Ulloa the £1m seems a bit of a mug off but it shows we are prepared to spend. If it's a replacement for Ulloa then it look a big mug off and I've lost all faith in our player recruitment system.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
One would think so, the fee for 1 player might well be spent on 4/5 other decent players. We would also still have the rest of our budget for the season available.

Honestly pal, how much of a budget do you think there is? I'd imagine it was minimal to begin with, if Ulloa gets sold I'd say it's extremely unlikely that all of his fee will be reinvested.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
If this rumour has any truth in it, I think it is a perfect example of how Burke and his team are not up to the task of finding us quality Championship players.

Why sign players who aren't good enough, even as back up? We would be better off blooding youngsters. I suspect, if true, this signing is meant for the first team. It oozes desperation and I find that very concerning. I truly believe Burke is incapable of bringing in top quality players under our alleged budget constraints.

So is it Burke or the budget that's the problem?

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
If this rumour has any truth in it, I think it is a perfect example of how Burke and his team are not up to the task of finding us quality Championship players.

Why sign players who aren't good enough, even as back up?

This is my main gripe with a few of the posts here- how do we know they aren't going to be good enough even before they've pulled on a shirt for us? I really can't understand the mentality of writing off a player before we know how good they are or aren't. He could be a flop for us, but at the same time we could be a great fit and he gets a good return for us.

The hilarious thing is, no-one here has a clue what'll happen, but still the toys have come completely out of the pram.

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
Would be amazed if this works. I think we're looking at another very ordinary striker who won't add much and certainly won't fill our central striker role. I really hope I'm wrong .....

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I am just saying, we get hammered with this Premier League Ready stuff etc etc, and despite a pretty average last season we still hit the play offs, yet now we are gambling on £500k strikers from relegated sides. Very uninspiring stuff

Perhaps we're trying to do it the "Burnley" way with no prima donnas in the squad.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
So were signing a player who got 15 goals last season in a dogsh*t Barnsley side for at most £1 Million and we are selling a player who got 14 goals last season in a decent Albion side for £7.5 Million + add-ons.

Great bit of business by the club, if O'Grady can be consistent - it would be the bargain of the century. £1M for 15 goals a season at this level isnt bad, rather spend that on O'Grady than some youngster from the Premier League with no experience.

yeah great bit of business division 1 here we come

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Don't blame Burke, it's the budget.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Forget last season, he has scored 88 goals in 373 apps, mostly in the lower leagues. That's a goal every 4.23 games mostly in a league lower than the championship. On paper that is not good enough. But we don't play on paper, we play on grass. Let's hope at 28 we have spotted something that has eluded everyone else. Somehow I doubt it...Got David Burke stamped all over this one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here