Chris O'Grady Signs for an Undisclosed Fee (Updated)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Don't get the club at the moment , prem off the pitch league one on the pitch. There is going to b a point when the club needs to up the wage budget . Financially the club has to get in the prem or we will be in trouble .

Spot on. I guess the club has spent so much money on the training ground and stadium, there is nothing left to invest in the playing squad.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Seems a bid has been accepted and talks will get underway tomorrow. Think the fee is somewhere more than £500k and less than £1 million.
Sounds about right. Taking the optimistic view, I'm going to assume O'Grady is Ulloa's replacement in as much as he is of a similar style and can lead the line, score with his head etc.. but Hyypia feels the incoming Leo money - or a larger chunk of it - could be better spent on other areas of the forward line, such as a goalscoring attacking-mid, pacy inside-forwards (that his formation seems to deploy). Or just another type of striker, which might explain our (shortlived) pursuit of Baldock. Maybe.

I'll only know for sure how I feel about this signing when the transfer window shuts on Sep 1st. If by that point O'Grady has been supplemented by sufficient quality in other areas of the attack and/or is merely a back-up option then I'll think.. well, that's alright then.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
What!? Bizarre.

Not really. Biggest season ticket holders in Championship last 2 years, biggest crowds, sold Barnes & Bridcutt for £4-5m, Ulloa off for £7m, and we sign someone of this calibre.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Not really. Biggest season ticket holders in Championship last 2 years, biggest crowds, sold Barnes & Bridcutt for £4-5m, Ulloa off for £7m, and we sign someone of this calibre.

Yeah. Signing Championships strikers is rubbish. Where's our bid for Neymar? So unambitious. Barber Out.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Can argue if decent or not but Lingards wages probably on par with Barnes and his goals/assists took us to playoffs. Toko,and Ince seen as replacements for Bridcutt.

I was thinking more of signings rather than loans tbh. Ince is not really a replacement for our player of the season, promising though he may be. I hope Toko is but we were left lightweight last season by a lack of investment....IMO.

That is not a moan by the way, I'll watch us if we end up in League 2 but I don't believe we are looking to make a serious promotion charge any more. We certainly did that in the second season at the Amex and I think quite a large proportion of our fans are expecting us to be "going for it " again.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yeah. Signing Championships strikers is rubbish. Where's our bid for Neymar? So unambitious. Barber Out.

Except he isn't a Championship striker is he? IF he was under 25, I would be more enthusiastic, but he's 28, never really set the world alight

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Barnes & Bridcutt for £4-5m, Ulloa off for £7m, and we sign someone of this calibre.

Barnes was c600k and some reports put Bridcutt at 2.5m. We haven't actually sold Ulloa .

He would be if reports are correct Only Albions 4th ever £1m player. And nobody is expecting him to be 1st or even 2nd choice striker.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Except he isn't a Championship striker is he? IF he was under 25, I would be more enthusiastic, but he's 28, never really set the world alight

He bagged 15 Championships goals last year. He'll be too good for League 1. So...what is he then?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
He bagged 15 Championships goals last year. He'll be too good for League 1. So...what is he then?

Can you remind me how many goals at what level in other seasons please?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports