Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris O'Grady Signs for an Undisclosed Fee (Updated)

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The more I think about all this, the more I reckon it could be one of those quiet, understated but eventually key signings.

A comparison that springs to mind is Yann Kermorgant. Spent his entire career being a bit part player, mostly at lower league clubs (in France), followed by a largely unimpressive stint at Leicester, and then a spell leading the line at Charlton. Despite a less than stellar goalscoring record, as far as I can tell he's tended to be an extremely popular player with fans (apart from at Leicester, but then he did royally screw up a penalty in a play off semi final), and someone valued for his hold up play, unfailing work rate, and the fact that he chips in with 10-15 goals a season. Charlton fans really didn't want him to go, much more so than the arguably more talented Dale Stephens.

Kermorgant signed for Bournemouth midway through last season, aged 30, to no great fanfare, and I bet there were AFCB fans moaning about the underwhelming nature of the move. Yet he became an important part of their squad, and his move coincided with them going on a roll that left them only a few places outside the play offs. He scored a few himself and more importantly, provided the catalyst for Grabban- who'd been on a bit of a dry spell- to score a load more. He's never going to be their main man, but he brings stuff to the team/squad that isn't always quantifiable when you look at bare stats.

That's what I reckon O'Grady could be about for us. Assuming there's another striker lined up, he may well be the man to bring the best out of him, or perhaps CMS. For a mere £500k, I suspect he's well worth a punt, and could turn out to be a really useful signing, the sort that slips under the radar of other teams.

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
This is not a bad signing. He was dirt cheat and Barnsley fans generally rate him. We need one other striker but let's not despair just yet. Maybe this is not the promotion season but that's fine. In the next 2 seasons we will have to lay out though...... It's what happens.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
=A comparison that springs to mind is Yann Kermorgant. Spent his entire career being a bit part player, mostly at lower league clubs (in France), followed by a largely unimpressive stint at Leicester, and then a spell leading the line at Charlton. Despite a less than stellar goalscoring record, as far as I can tell he's tended to be an extremely popular player with fans (apart from at Leicester, but then he did royally screw up a penalty in a play off semi final), and someone valued for his hold up play, unfailing work rate, and the fact that he chips in with 10-15 goals a season. Charlton fans really didn't want him to go, much more so than the arguably more talented Dale Stephens.

It was Knockaert who screwed up the penalty (after an awful dive) in the play-offs vs Watford a couple of years ago, but i do agree.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It was Knockaert who screwed up the penalty (after an awful dive) in the play-offs vs Watford a couple of years ago, but i do agree.

Wrong occasion. Kermorgant attempted to chip the Cardiff goalkeeper in the semi-final shoot out in 2010, and failed miserably. Hence Leicester fans despise him.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Wrong occasion. Kermorgant attempted to chip the Cardiff goalkeeper in the semi-final shoot out in 2010, and failed miserably. Hence Leicester fans despise him.

Ah, fair enough. Seems Leicester have an issue with the French taking key penalties. Funnily enough though, Knockaert wasnt hated by the Leicester fans after his cock-up, and of course wouldnt be now, as they walked the league this season.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Ah, fair enough. Seems Leicester have an issue with the French taking key penalties. Funnily enough though, Knockaert wasnt hated by the Leicester fans after his cock-up, and of course wouldnt be now, as they walked the league this season.

No, but Knockaert is also an important player, whereas Kermorgant wasn't. And also attempted the sort of chipped-down-the-middle penalty you can only be 100% confident of getting away with if you're Andrea Pirlo.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Or Antonin Panenka :thumbsup:

Yeah.

Basically, if the fans love you, and you screw up a penalty like that, they forgive you. If you're a mere ordinary player, it makes you a cocky, talentless tosser who deserves to be slaughtered for it :)

<imagines Ashley Barnes gently chipping one down the middle into the keeper's hands>

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Yeah.

Basically, if the fans love you, and you screw up a penalty like that, they forgive you. If you're a mere ordinary player, it makes you a cocky, talentless tosser who deserves to be slaughtered for it :)

<imagines Ashley Barnes gently chipping one down the middle into the keeper's hands>

73 pages.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I was genuinely interested in doing this - so looked up my comments on other "...has signed" threads - and as it turns out, I am absolutely spot on about most things.

I thought Stockdale would be a great signing - but he's getting better so I think to say he won't be is a little premature at this point.

Very good - so who do you suggest we sign next?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here