Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Chris Hughton new Ghana manager

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Yeh a lot of time in Europe but a lot more time in Ghana than I thought he would do. I think Ghanaian FA would like to see some players breaking into the squad from the local Leagues so he makes sure he gets a look at them. But at the end of the day. Those players are still in the local Leagues for a reason and the others play abroad for a reason. And that reason is usually
because they are better players. So matter how much anyone wants local players to be involved. You have to pick your best players to give yourself any chance of success.
Same argument occurs in Ireland about why LOI players aren't in the Irish squad (although Jonathon Afolabi was drafted into the squad today)

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
That's so true. You could end up having 6 really good footballers at your disposal but if all 6 are mid fielders that's not any good. It leaves weaknesses in other areas which you can't solve in the transfer market
Ireland has a bunch of good goalies, good defenders and good strikers coming though - by few, if any midfielders - that is why losing Grealish and Rice hurt so much at the time.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I don't see how the teams he put out in the Championship could be described as defensive minded. We were constantly attacking and scoring plenty.

When we made the step up we became defensive minded, but that was just pragmatic, and the previous seasons show Hughton was capable of an attacking style when the situation merited it.
Yeah, I should've clarified the 'defensive-minded' approach was more PL than championship. But the point still stands - I honestly don't think he would shift from that. Largely because he didn't in the two seasons he was in charge.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Who does he play with? Haven't heard of him. Is he still young ?
Plays with Bohs - he was one of the five I spoke about when Connolly scored his two goals against Spurs - Connolly, Parrott, Idah, Obafemi and Afolabi. Afolabi was with Southampton and then went to Celtic - he suffered a series of injuries and went out on a series of loans in Scotland over the next two years - went back to Bohs in Dublin last year - up to last weekend he was on a run of 11 goals in 10 games.

He got the call up because Will Keane got hurt against France. Along with Ferguson, Ireland was already missing Callum Robinson, Obafemi, Parrott and Mikey Johnson because of injury from the strikers. Afolabi is 23 - he might end up back in England - I think L1 is probably his level - but the injuries cost him some pace that was a big part of his game.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Yeah, I should've clarified the 'defensive-minded' approach was more PL than championship. But the point still stands - I honestly don't think he would shift from that. Largely because he didn't in the two seasons he was in charge.
We have been through this so many times - Hughton worked with what he had available - When he was at Newcastle he played attacking football - when at Norwich he let the players play until things got bumpy and he had to shut up shop to try and keep them in the PL. After he cleaned up the mess at Brighton he played attacking football in the Championship but when Brighton got promoted he effectively spent two seasons with largely what was a Championship level squad and kept Brighton in the PL. He was sold a pig in a poke at Forest and his Ghana team does play attacking football because he has the players there that can do it (and at international level draws won't qualify you for tournaments which is the objective - and you don't get relegated).

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I disagree. He didn't shift in those two seasons, because he felt the team wasn't ready to play a more attacking style in the PL without losing too many. As our players became more experienced at PL level and as we continued to recruit good players, we'd have been able to play more attaching football, and Hughton was capable of that with the right resources.

That's not to say I'm confident he'd have done as well as Potter, but I think it's wrong to conclude that he wouldn't have been given players suited to attacking football.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Ireland has a bunch of good goalies, good defenders and good strikers coming though - by few, if any midfielders - that is why losing Grealish and Rice hurt so much at the time.
Midfield was Scotland's problem for 20 years and that's why they regressed so much in that time. If Scotland had a decent midfield when James MC Fadden was around the decline wouldn't have been so steep. Now it's strikers we lack. The midfield is decent now and they are goal scoring midfielders so that helps the lack of good strikers .

It's a shame Ireland doesn't have the midfielders around to support such a good striker as Evan Ferguson.

Small countries like Scotland and Ireland haven't been able to really do what countries like Switzerland Netherlands or Belgium have done. They have great immigration policy which has allowed them to tap into migrant population.

Is Ireland's largest migrants still from Lithuania? They aren't really known for producing good footballers

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Plays with Bohs - he was one of the five I spoke about when Connolly scored his two goals against Spurs - Connolly, Parrott, Idah, Obafemi and Afolabi. Afolabi was with Southampton and then went to Celtic - he suffered a series of injuries and went out on a series of loans in Scotland over the next two years - went back to Bohs in Dublin last year - up to last weekend he was on a run of 11 goals in 10 games.

He got the call up because Will Keane got hurt against France. Along with Ferguson, Ireland was already missing Callum Robinson, Obafemi, Parrott and Mikey Johnson because of injury from the strikers. Afolabi is 23 - he might end up back in England - I think L1 is probably his level - but the injuries cost him some pace that was a big part of his game.
I've spoke about Connolly on here before. He wouldn't really have broken into first team at Brighton under Chris. Dan Ashworth was the one Championing Connolly. Chris didn't see anything too much with Connolly. That said he didn't see Alzate coming either. He was another Ashworth prodigy

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I disagree. He didn't shift in those two seasons, because he felt the team wasn't ready to play a more attacking style in the PL without losing too many. As our players became more experienced at PL level and as we continued to recruit good players, we'd have been able to play more attaching football, and Hughton was capable of that with the right resources.

That's not to say I'm confident he'd have done as well as Potter, but I think it's wrong to conclude that he wouldn't have been given players suited to attacking football.

The Brighton lad who was on loan at Millwall who eventually transferred to West Bromwich Albion. I think Chris quite rated him but he was a bit young at the time and needed time out on loan

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Midfield was Scotland's problem for 20 years and that's why they regressed so much in that time. If Scotland had a decent midfield when James MC Fadden was around the decline wouldn't have been so steep. Now it's strikers we lack. The midfield is decent now and they are goal scoring midfielders so that helps the lack of good strikers .

It's a shame Ireland doesn't have the midfielders around to support such a good striker as Evan Ferguson.

Small countries like Scotland and Ireland haven't been able to really do what countries like Switzerland Netherlands or Belgium have done. They have great immigration policy which has allowed them to tap into migrant population.

Is Ireland's largest migrants still from Lithuania? They aren't really known for producing good footballers
No - practically all of the kids from immigrant backgrounds that coming through are of Nigerian decent - either both parents or one Nigerian and one Irish parent. Ogbene was actually born in Nigeria - his family moved to Ireland when he was 8. A lot of kids from a Nigerian background are also making waves in Gaelic Football and hurling circles.

As for midfield - I think that eventually one of or both of Collins and/or Omobamidele will end up playing in midfield for Ireland - Omobamidele is very like Paul McGrath in his style of play (but nothing approaching McGrath's ability - if we get half of McGrath from Omobamidele he will be a seriously good PL player) - after that we are depending on Will Smallbone and Andrew Moran to come good - and I have high hopes for both (Southampton turned down a £10m bid from Sheff Utd during the transfer window) - and then hopefully a couple from Hodge (Wolves), Gilsenen (Blackburn), McJannet (Lecce), Vata (Celtic), Vaughan (Hull), Francis (Arsenal), Costelloe (Burnley) and O'Neill (Fulham) will come through (and maybe one or two surprises (Mullins at Brighton or McManus at Bohs).

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I've spoke about Connolly on here before. He wouldn't really have broken into first team at Brighton under Chris. Dan Ashworth was the one Championing Connolly. Chris didn't see anything too much with Connolly. That said he didn't see Alzate coming either. He was another Ashworth prodigy
The reality is that Chris was right about Connolly - he just wasn't ready - he really needed some time to grow up so he could handle playing in the PL. This season - for the first time in three years - it seems that he has his head screwed on. He seems to have matured a bit - and he is in the perfect spot with Rosenior and without too many expectations on him. Hopefully he will make up for lost time.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
No - practically all of the kids from immigrant backgrounds that coming through are of Nigerian decent - either both parents or one Nigerian and one Irish parent. Ogbene was actually born in Nigeria - his family moved to Ireland when he was 8. A lot of kids from a Nigerian background are also making waves in Gaelic Football and hurling circles.

As for midfield - I think that eventually one of or both of Collins and/or Omobamidele will end up playing in midfield for Ireland - Omobamidele is very like Paul McGrath in his style of play (but nothing approaching McGrath's ability - if we get half of McGrath from Omobamidele he will be a seriously good PL player) - after that we are depending on Will Smallbone and Andrew Moran to come good - and I have high hopes for both (Southampton turned down a £10m bid from Sheff Utd during the transfer window) - and then hopefully a couple from Hodge (Wolves), Gilsenen (Blackburn), McJannet (Lecce), Vata (Celtic), Vaughan (Hull), Francis (Arsenal), Costelloe (Burnley) and O'Neill (Fulham) will come through (and maybe one or two surprises (Mullins at Brighton or McManus at Bohs).
That's a decent amount of them. But they need to start getting " competitive game time" I obviously don't follow the Irish lads to much. Although my Dad's originally from Donegal. He lived 80 of his 85 years in Scotland. So he is very Scottish. Except on Paddy's Day when he gets pissed and his one day a year Irish accent miraculously arrives

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
The Brighton lad who was on loan at Millwall who eventually transferred to West Bromwich Albion. I think Chris quite rated him but he was a bit young at the time and needed time out on loan
Yea - Jayson Molumby - been speaking about him on an Irish forum - I really had high hopes for him. As an U-17 and U-19 he was pinging the ball around like Liam Brady. I don't think Potter knew what he had with Molumby and he sent him first to Millwall and then to a disasterous spell at Preston. They wanted him to be a box-to-box midfielder instead of the guy passing the ball around the park - and Molumby got lost. He still hasn't recovered and every time he plays for Ireland he looks like he is a deer in headlights. He played over an hour in Paris last night and he wasn't mentioned once by the commentators. Nobody knows how he doesn't get sent off in every game because he just dives into tackles all the time (and usually fails to get near the ball).

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Yea - Jayson Molumby - been speaking about him on an Irish forum - I really had high hopes for him. As an U-17 and U-19 he was pinging the ball around like Liam Brady. I don't think Potter knew what he had with Molumby and he sent him first to Millwall and then to a disasterous spell at Preston. They wanted him to be a box-to-box midfielder instead of the guy passing the ball around the park - and Molumby got lost. He still hasn't recovered and every time he plays for Ireland he looks like he is a deer in headlights. He played over an hour in Paris last night and he wasn't mentioned once by the commentators. Nobody knows how he doesn't get sent off in every game because he just dives into tackles all the time (and usually fails to get near the ball).
He was great at Millwall. I had given up my season ticket at Millwall by the time he arrived but every time I did go he was good

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
That's a decent amount of them. But they need to start getting " competitive game time" I obviously don't follow the Irish lads to much.
Hodge is in the Wolves PL squad - Vaughan is playing regularly at Hull (Rosenior really likes him) - Smallbone is hurt at the moment but will be the mainstay of Southampton's midfield this season (he had a really good loan spell at Stoke last year) - I expect Moran to come on a lot while he is at Blackburn - Costelloe is on loan at St. Johsntone and has started well - and Rocco Vata is Rudi Vata's son (former Celtic and Albanian defender) and played a handful of games for Celtic last season.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Hodge is in the Wolves PL squad - Vaughan is playing regularly at Hull (Rosenior really likes him) - Smallbone is hurt at the moment but will be the mainstay of Southampton's midfield this season (he had a really good loan spell at Stoke last year) - I expect Moran to come on a lot while he is at Blackburn - Costelloe is on loan at St. Johsntone and has started well - and Rocco Vata is Rudi Vata's son (former Celtic and Albanian defender) and played a handful of games for Celtic last season.
How do you find the time to follow them all ? I'm dead impressed 👍

Anyways. Who knows maybe Chris will make Ireland his final job before he goes and does more Advocacy work on racial issues.

The Ghana job is massive in that country. I hadn't realised how fanatical fans are over there before yesterday's match the Press were saying he had only won 2 games in charge. But the fact was. They haven't lost under him either. So you're only one match away from Hero to Zero and back again in Ghana. So maybe he will do the AFCON finals and the re-evaluate.

Ghana ain't even one of the top 6 sides in Africa any more. But to stop them winning AFCON. Someone has got to beat them at least once. And Chris knows how not to loose. I just wish their full backs were a wee but better than they are. Tanoi message for Tariq Lamptey to get fit 😊

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
How do you find the time to follow them all ? I'm dead impressed 👍

Anyways. Who knows maybe Chris will make Ireland his final job before he goes and does more Advocacy work on racial issues.

The Ghana job is massive in that country. I hadn't realised how fanatical fans are over there before yesterday's match the Press were saying he had only won 2 games in charge. But the fact was. They haven't lost under him either. So you're only one match away from Hero to Zero and back again in Ghana. So maybe he will do the AFCON finals and the re-evaluate.

Ghana ain't even one of the top 6 sides in Africa any more. But to stop them winning AFCON. Someone has got to beat them at least once. And Chris knows how not to loose. I just wish their full backs were a wee but better than they are. Tanoi message for Tariq Lamptey to get fit 😊
I don't follow all of them - I do like watching the Irish underage teams and I do go to LOI games when I get the opportunity - not easy because of distance and the time the games are on. There are several internet forums where people involved with clubs, particularly schoolboy set-ups participate and they flag players to keep an eye on (and they tend to be spot on with the ones they flag). It was someone from St. Kevin's that said to look out for Ferguson when he was twelve (same with Omobamidele - it was someone from Leixlip very early on that said keep an eye on the kid).

I'd love Chris to get the opportunity to manage Ireland - however, I don't think the timing will work out. Chris is not going to leave Ghana before AFCON finals and I expect Kenny to be gone well before that - possible as early as Sunday night if Ireland get beaten by Holland. I also think that they will go more for a younger 'tracksuit' coach for want of a better description - someone they think can relate to the younger players. Whether they can find one is the issue.

The FAI really have to get the next appointment right -

The Kenny era has been a disaster - 5 wins in 25 competitive matches - Beating Armenia, Latvia and Scotland at home in the Nations League and Azerbaijan and Luxembourg in the WC qualifiers.

Before that was McCarthy's second stint - but that was really a caretaker role waiting for Kenny (to do I don't know what).

O'Neill was a bit better - but the combination of himself and Roy Keane always seemed to rub the players up the wrong way. I never wanted O'Neill and didn't rate him.

Before O'Neill was Trappatoni who was going through the motions padding his retirement fund and was interested in one thing only - not losing - he wasted so many good players.

Before that was the disaster that was Steve Staunton - less said about that the better. Arie Haan was linked with the job after Staunton was sacked - it would have been interesting to see what he could have done with it.

Before Staunton was Brian Kerr - a very underrated manager (who later worked wonders with the Faroe Islands) - he was never given a proper chance by the FAI top brass.

Before that was McCarthy's first stint - where he was inexperienced but had a good squad - Ireland could have done really well if the mature McCarthy of the second time around had the squad of his first run.

Now - Ireland has the best crop of kids coming through since Brian Kerr's kids came third in the World Youth Championships and won the U16 and U18 Euros in the late 1990s. Pick the wrong guy and the opportunity will be wasted - pick the right guy and Ireland could be headed for a second 'golden era' with Evan Ferguson leading the line.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here