Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chris Hughton masterclass

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
What games have you been watching in the World Cup? England played 3-5-2 with Walker Stones and Maguire as the 3 with Trippier and Young as wingbacks in the 5 . Man City did the same v Huddersfield on Saturday and I am sure CH will consider it at some point with Balogun, Duffy and Dunk as the 3 and either Montoya/Bruno and Bernardo/Bong being the wing backs.

That's correct 3 central defenders plus 2 fullbacks making it a total of 5 in defence. We played a diamond in midfield allowing our fullbacks to advance but requiring them to track back and defend in a 5-4-1. We play with a back 4 and no matter how much tinkering CH may do he won't play without 2 wingers even if it does allow him an extra centre back

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That's correct 3 central defenders plus 2 fullbacks making it a total of 5 in defence. We played a diamond in midfield allowing our fullbacks to advance but requiring them to track back and defend in a 5-4-1. We play with a back 4 and no matter how much tinkering CH may do he won't play without 2 wingers even if it does allow him an extra centre back

That where we are at odds as you are saying the full backs are in defence I would suggest that they are wide midfield to offer support to both defence when needed and attack when needed so in my mind not a 5 man defence. more a 3-5-2 formation. If trhis formation is adopted it would mean either the wings backs replacing Knockaert and at the moment March or them playing wing back to replace the existing full backs. I can honestly see it happening in an away game at some point.

Last edited:

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
That where we are at odds as you are saying the full backs are in defence I would suggest that they are wide midfield to offer support to both defence when needed and attack when needed so in my mind not a 5 man defence. more a 3-5-2 formation. If trhis formation is adopted it would mean either the wings backs replacing Knockaert and at the moment March or them playing wing back to replace the existing full backs. I can honestly see it happening in an away game at some point.

The word backs suggest they play in defence. If they were a winger I might agree with you but either way we won't be dropping 2 of them to create additional midfielders. We could possibly see a 4-4-2 formation if an opposition were leading by a single goal and we are hoping to snatch something but I'm sure that 4 man midfield would include at least 1 winger as they are the players we have with pace

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We shall just have to agree to disagree on the terminology of formation. On your assertion we would need to drop either 1 full back or 1 wide man to bring in a 3rd CB which I dont think would happen .

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here