Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris Gargan former president of Whitehawk FC jailed for racially abusing woman

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If there had been some previous interaction or confrontation i'm sure it would have appeared in at least one of the sides' statements or testimonies, if not both. It surely wouldn't have been in both their interests to keep quiet about any previous confrontation. There also doesn't appear to have been any cctv evidence which captured any such previous confrontation, that's of course if there was any cctv present where any previous confrontation may have taken place. But as I say I doubt there was any previous because I'm sure it would have been in the interests for at least one of them to have mentioned it. Maybe one of the group just gave him a "look" which he took offence to and that was the extent of any confrontation. It doesn't take much to set some people off and maybe he was even looking for something to take offence at as an excuse to start on them, so maybe just an innocuous casual glance from one of the group set him off. Saw it happen a lot in pubs and clubs when I was a teenager but he's a 55 year old man so should be well past that behaviour.

According to the Argus report, there was cctv.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1537...nt_jailed_for_racist_abuse_of_pregnant_woman/

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015

Yes I know, but the point I was trying to make, admittedly somewhat muddley, was if there had been a previous confrontation it may have been in a location where there was no cctv coverage because any previous confrontation, if there had been any, which I doubt, may not necessarily have occured in the same place as where the abuse took place, which as we know was covered by cctv. I was just considering all the possible scenarios for the hypothesis put forward by another poster that a previous confrontation may have taken place.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Yeah, as everyone who goes down is always guilty

I certainly don't think the criminal justice system is infallible, in fact I regard it with quite a high degree of cynicism regarding all its aspects whether that be the police, solicitors, CPS and Judges. However that doesn't mean to say that I think they get everything wrong, just that they get too many things wrong when there is no excuse for doing so. On the whole I believe they get things right but I also like to make up my mind based on evidence rather than my prejudice. All I know about this case is what's reported in the papers as I didn't attend the trial. My reading from that is that the cctv played a significant part. While there was probably no sound the video evidence I assume would have shown Gargan approaching the woman, saying something to her, and a reaction from her suggesting something untoward had been said. It might have shown other things like aggressive body language from Gargan and depending on the quality of the video a degree of lip reading may have been possible. If Gargan in his original statement had denied ever approaching the group, unaware of the existence of the cctv footage confirming otherwise his credibility would have been immediately compromised. In this case just based on what I have read I am inclined to believe that the criminal justice system got it right (hopefully). He also has a right to appeal to raise any flawed evidence in the original trial.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Then the fact that he went to full trial at crown court (so it must be section 4 which is more serious) and was found guilty means there's no reduction on sentence.

Apparently he elected to go before a jury - seems bizarre to me that you would open yourself to a harsher sentence.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Have a close look at the profile photo on Chris Gargan's LinkedIn profile. Wonder whether he's changed it since the court case?
I have some second hand knowledge of the family. Not a nice bunch by all accounts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR

Stand to be corrected: I thought Sam was the Son of Paul Gargan? Again, another one with 'colourful' past form, particularly concerning connections in the Brighton horse racing scene. PG was warned off all race tracks for a period of time some years back, for betting practises that were...erm, not entirely ethical.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

He's been removed as a director which is easy to check in a couple of weeks that it has really been done. What can't be checked until the next confirmation statement is what has happened with his share. I'm skeptical because I worked for a company where one of the directors was jailed for corruption and bribery. He was removed as a director and his shares in both his companies transferred to his wife. When he came out he was able to benefit from effectively still owning the companies ( although admittedly one had gone bust by then - hence my redundancy ! )

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Apparently he elected to go before a jury - seems bizarre to me that you would open yourself to a harsher sentence.

Some people believe that where a bench of three magistrates would find based purely on the evidence, juries sometimes find people not guilty because of the severity of the punishment.
In effect he gambled and lost.

andy46

Mar 22, 2012
well some people on here have made out hes a jolly roger type villain -- perhaps
coward
bully
Neanderthal
would be more to the point, lets hope no-one inside takes offence to his attitude towards females, he can be truly proud of his courageous actions, and his friends must believe he showed that woman whos Boss !!!!!!!.
I would imagine ---his female relatives are feeling repulsed knowing it was delivered in front of children.

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
well some people on here have made out hes a jolly roger type villain -- perhaps
coward
bully
Neanderthal
would be more to the point, lets hope no-one inside takes offence to his attitude towards females, he can be truly proud of his courageous actions, and his friends must believe he showed that woman whos Boss !!!!!!!.
I would imagine ---his female relatives are feeling repulsed knowing it was delivered in front of children.

quite possibly a bit harsh in places, however not a nice thing to do probably spurred on by his mates, having been found guilty the victim is entitled to sue for emotional distress and so this may not be over yet, how much could she get ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here