Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris Burke

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Much better option than Conway, who would not be good enough for the Premier League (if that's what we aspire to). Burke on the other hand much more consistent and capable of delivery with either foot.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Premier league is the last thing we should be worried about when signing a player. Conway would be an excellent signing for the Championship.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Premier league is the last thing we should be worried about when signing a player. Conway would be an excellent signing for the Championship.

Completely disagree. False economy signing them and then laying them off, we should sign players who are premiership ready, rather than get them promoted and pay them for sitting on the sidelines.

Don't rate Conway and am not worried whether he signs or not.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Players for the Premier if we hope to get their soon is exactly what we xhould be signing. We cannot afford to sign players just to get us there and then have to replace them.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
But if they are already good enough for the Premier League, they will already be there or be getting offers from Premier teams. The good prospects, like Hancock, know that Premier teams are looking at them.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Completely disagree. False economy signing them and then laying them off, we should sign players who are premiership ready, rather than get them promoted and pay them for sitting on the sidelines.
If they're not good enough for the prem, and we do get promoted, we simply sell them. Getting there isn't easy, and it isn't cheap. We should focus on the best players to get us there, at the right price.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Not many players at other Championship sides really get me excited (obviously a few exceptions, like Zamorra (!), Ings, etc).However, Burke would be an excellent addition.....wouldn't Brum be slightly in danger of relegation, though, if they got rid?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
If they're not good enough for the prem, and we do get promoted, we simply sell them. Getting there isn't easy, and it isn't cheap. We should focus on the best players to get us there, at the right price.

Still false economy, prefer to get it right first time. Hull, Cardiff and West ham, have not off-loaded players they brought in the Championship, which has to be the model to follow.

Dec 29, 2011
Still false economy, prefer to get it right first time. Hull, Cardiff and West ham, have not off-loaded players they brought in the Championship, which has to be the model to follow.

Clearly the model to follow, as 2 of the three you mention are in the relegation zone at present.

If a player is good enough to get a side promoted, but not good enough for the Premier League, surely once we were promoted we could loan him out to another club who aspire to get promoted, let them pay most of his wages, and then live of the £120m we get from being in the Premier League. You're clutching as straws with your 'false economy' argument.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Clearly the model to follow, as 2 of the three you mention are in the relegation zone at present.

If a player is good enough to get a side promoted, but not good enough for the Premier League, surely once we were promoted we could loan him out to another club who aspire to get promoted, let them pay most of his wages, and then live of the £120m we get from being in the Premier League. You're clutching as straws with your 'false economy' argument.

Don't think so. West ham did ok the first year. Hull aren't doing too badly. Don't think I'm clutching at straws at all.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Still false economy, prefer to get it right first time.
No it's not false economy. False economy is paying premiership prices and wages, and not getting there - then you're in the shit. If some of your players aren't good enough for the prem, you sell them - for a profit! Win/win. Is it false economy for Cardiff if they sell Mason? I wouldn't say so.

User Removed

Oct 21, 2005
Brighton
Spoke to a contact in the West Midlands last night who has a box at St Andrews. He reckons we have tabled a formal bid for Chris Burke. Blues are resigned to losing him, he's out of contract in the summer and could be available for as little as 400k, but there are a number of clubs in the Championship also chasing him.

Also said we had shown some interest in highly rated full back Mitch Hancocks but the £1m+ asking price Blues want for him has put him out of our reach.

A contact in the West Midlands who has a box at St Andrews? F**k me this is sensational stuff!!

I have a contact who has a box at The Amex - he has far too much money for his own good and has ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA what's really going on, but just passes on random crap and total hearsay about various players who might - or might not - be leaving Brighton.

In fact I also have contacts (well I call them friends) who are Birmingham fans who have, at various times, said Burke is leaving to this that and other club, but - he's still there. Surprise, surprise. And he will be for another couple of years.

Go away.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
A contact in the West Midlands who has a box at St Andrews? F**k me this is sensational stuff!!

I have a contact who has a box at The Amex - he has far too much money for his own good and has ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA what's really going on, but just passes on random crap and total hearsay about various players who might - or might not - be leaving Brighton.

In fact I also have contacts (well I call them friends) who are Birmingham fans who have, at various times, said Burke is leaving to this that and other club, but - he's still there. Surprise, surprise. And he will be for another couple of years.

Go away.

The time and the tone say post-pub rant !

I don't disagree with your point about the reliability of gossip in corporate boxes, but to be fair to the OP he wasn't dressing it up as anything else, so where is the harm ?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
No it's not false economy. False economy is paying premiership prices and wages, and not getting there - then you're in the shit. If some of your players aren't good enough for the prem, you sell them - for a profit! Win/win. Is it false economy for Cardiff if they sell Mason? I wouldn't say so.

Depends really, if you as you say you get more money then maybe not, but of coruse, if they aren't named in the 25 and they end up languishing in the reserves on big money, then the initial outlay may not be covered.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

A false economy is when you cut a cost or outgoing that leaves you paying more in the long term, rather than the scenario you outline of increasing your costs or outgoings with a view to recovering the deficit from premiership income if you get there. But you're right about thexpotential consequences.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here