Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Chop Souey

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
No doubt a campaign to have him removed off our screens is on its way?

And this is the real issue, what is wrong with someone making comments like this and being challenged and shown to be a bit of a dick, nothing. Someone making comments like this and then being silenced is a major problem, and far worse than the comments. If we want to improve as a society it should be done with these sort of comments being heard not by silencing them. Cancel culture is really frigging dangerous.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Surely a little understanding from Souness about how his comment sounded to some is enough? Then we can all move on from the traumatic incedent - with appropriate counselling of course.

Trouble is he has doubled down and refused to see if from someone else's point of view. So it all rumbles on and on and Sky may be forced to take action.

It could and should have been nipped in the bud, but this doesn't happen in divided 2022.

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk

But that's one of my points from my post last night. Most of the people who took issue with what he said HAVE moved on. They called him out on what they thought was clunky at best use of language, but that offence has been passed on to the 'real men' who think he said nothing wrong. And they'll keep frothing at the gash until something else comes along where they can label someone a 'snowflake' or moan about how 'you can't say anything any more'.

And yet they complain at OTHER people being serially offended :lolol:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This has been a joy of a thread. From Crodo and THPP starting it nearly at the same time (the merge rule here was to keep the more clever thread title, there's a job waiting for Crodo as a tabloid subby if he's not one already) to the almost immediate arrival of Swansman and Leaky (I actually had Souness down as Leaky's incomprehensible thread of the day but the drugs don't fully kick in till around 5.30) to the usual barriers up, position maintenance that makes all of these threads as pointless as Manchester United. And some truly tremendous sanctimony and handwringing. Really, first class.

Well done everyone. Same time today?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
This has been a joy of a thread. From Crodo and THPP starting it nearly at the same time (the merge rule here was to keep the more clever thread title, there's a job waiting for Crodo as a tabloid subby if he's not one already) to the almost immediate arrival of Swansman and Leaky (I actually had Souness down as Leaky's incomprehensible thread of the day but the drugs don't fully kick in till around 5.30) to the usual barriers up, position maintenance that makes all of these threads as pointless as Manchester United. And some truly tremendous sanctimony and handwringing. Really, first class.

Well done everyone. Same time today?

The thread title is indeed very good. Perhaps his best work. I really don’t think it’s sanctimonious though to be uncomfortable with Souness’ comments, particularly when he is sitting next to a famous female footballer. For me it’s about social skills rather than culture war.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
But that's one of my points from my post last night. Most of the people who took issue with what he said HAVE moved on. They called him out on what they thought was clunky at best use of language, but that offence has been passed on to the 'real men' who think he said nothing wrong. And they'll keep frothing at the gash until something else comes along where they can label someone a 'snowflake' or moan about how 'you can't say anything any more'.

And yet they complain at OTHER people being serially offended :lolol:

Agreed. I’ve see way more wokey snowflakes moaning about Souness the dinosaur being ‘cancelled’ than those wanting him sacked. Even Simon Jordan wanging on about it still today.

Either Souness said what he meant or he his punditry skills extend to reminding them audience we had watched a mens game of football ?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Agreed. I’ve see way more wokey snowflakes moaning about Souness the dinosaur being ‘cancelled’ than those wanting him sacked. Even Simon Jordan wanging on about it still today.

Either Souness said what he meant or he his punditry skills extend to reminding them audience we had watched a mens game of football ?

Indeed. The fact that more than a few posters believe he was just correctly pointing out the gender of the players involved is baffling. Or are they being a little disingenuous?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Indeed - and it would surely be sexist to refer to Ayew acting like a big girl's blouse.

No, just inaccurate. The women tend to do this sort of thing far less.

Maybe if a woman dives or feigns injury we should tell them to stop being such a big man's lumber jacket.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
"He's maturing not just as a player but as a man" is the sort of comment Souness has been coming out with for years. He has frequently used "man's game", usually in the context of berating someone who has dived, gone down easy or been sent off harshly for a robust tackle.

He was a hard player, at times he was dirty, and he loved that part of the game. Clearly for him the physical side of the game is a key ingredient and he equates that with being manly, yet there are plenty of feisty and physical challenges in the women's game too.

Personally, I like intense pundits like him and Roy Keane that are always a heartbeat away from an angry rant and I hope he can be kept on, but I don't see that his philosophy or mindset fits with a post-Euro 2022 football world in this country, so I fully expect him to be binned off.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
"He's maturing not just as a player but as a man" is the sort of comment Souness has been coming out with for years. He has frequently used "man's game", usually in the context of berating someone who has dived, gone down easy or been sent off harshly for a robust tackle.

He was a hard player, at times he was dirty, and he loved that part of the game. Clearly for him the physical side of the game is a key ingredient and he equates that with being manly, yet there are plenty of feisty and physical challenges in the women's game too.

Personally, I like intense pundits like him and Roy Keane that are always a heartbeat away from an angry rant and I hope he can be kept on, but I don't see that his philosophy or mindset fits with a post-Euro 2022 football world in this country, so I fully expect him to be binned off.
Exactly, say it as it is and both would be a big miss if they disappeared off the screens IMHO

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Exactly, say it as it is and both would be a big miss if they disappeared off the screens IMHO

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

I prefer Carragher. He has interesting tactical insights. Pre game last night I particularly enjoyed his analysis of the inability of De Gea to be the extra defender that Ten Hag wants and the Martinez height issue. Particularly revealing that both BHA and Brentford changed their game to more long hall and pressing to take advantage, with stats to illustrate. By contrast there is only so many times I can cope with the dullness of Souness, Shearer and Keane banging on unoriginally about work rate. Souness was trying to make a point last night which is why he said it three times despite the embarrassed reaction of the host, perhaps he just doesn’t like female co-pundits.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Yup, well said Mr Souness.

We can all get on with our lives now.

The people who have got Karen Carney trending this morning on Twitter by sending abuse – directly or indirectly – her way can't just yet by the looks of it :eek:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
'Graeme Souness statement'

http://www.skysports.com/share/12673866

Nicely played and well advised. Can we now just move on please?

"To clarify my comments from yesterday, I was referring to the two Premier League matches I watched live on Sunday afternoon, rather than the sport of football. Football is a game for everyone to enjoy."

He was explicitly referring to a supposed relaxation in the interpretation of the rules, currently, against previous seasons. Ergo: "Its a man's game again" implying that the refereeing of last season's PL made it somehow NOT a 'man's game - an effeminate facsimile that he considers inferior. It is THAT inference - that 'less manly' is inferior, that is offensive to some.

Souness doesn't MEAN any offence by it though - he genuinely hasn't a clue.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
He was explicitly referring to a supposed relaxation in the interpretation of the rules, currently, against previous seasons. Ergo: "Its a man's game again" implying that the refereeing of last season's PL made it somehow NOT a 'man's game - an effeminate facsimile that he considers inferior. It is THAT inference - that 'less manly' is inferior, that is offensive to some.

Souness doesn't MEAN any offence by it though - he genuinely hasn't a clue.

Exactly. Which led me to ask the question: if 'men' weren't playing it before, who were? :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here