Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chirs Powell's Verdict and League Table Prediction.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
McGugan will be a loss. The signing of Mackie is a very good one though. He was a key player when QPR won the Championship 2 seasons ago and this could be a good move for him. Were they to get Austin as well, they won't be short of goals.

If they buy Austin he won't be cheap and that will get them into FFP trouble if they don't go up. Yet another team having a big bet on promotion or bust.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Wigan won't finish in the top 6 let alone the top 2.

Will be interesting to see how we fair between the end of September and the end of November this season. I know we have a new manager now but the last couple of seasons have seen us top the league early doors and then struggle to pick up consistent results during that particular period. No need for history to repeat itself under new leadership :albion2:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I can see at least one club going all out s..t or bust for The Premier and its rewards and totally ignoring the FFP and paying the fine they get given, which would be a lot less than they will make going up to the Premier. The correct answer is to make a promotion condition that they stay within the FF but it would be difficult due to the time the accounts are rendered.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I can see at least one club going all out s..t or bust for The Premier and its rewards and totally ignoring the FFP and paying the fine they get given, which would be a lot less than they will make going up to the Premier. The correct answer is to make a promotion condition that they stay within the FF but it would be difficult due to the time the accounts are rendered.

I agree there may be one Club out there who take the sh*t or bust approach but the consequences of failure could be disastrous.

My beef is with the parachute payments? Something like £50m over 5 years. It is now a two tier league with those who have this windfall (for failing in the Prem) - and rest (like us).

FFP is ok in principle but only if it is a level playing field. I have some sympathy for clubs like Yeovil who cannot hope to compete with us, let alone the QPRs of this world etc.

I suspect there will be all sorts of financial shenanigans over the next few years as Clubs (or more precisely their owners) look to try any opportunity for creative accounting under FFP. There could be some serious collateral damage.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Can't see why he thinks Reading will finish that low. Pretty good assessment though and fifth is exactly where I said we'd finish

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
That table looks about right, apart from the top 2. They will be in contention but can't see Forest and Wigan being 1st and 2nd.

I note that Powell has QPR and Watford finishing outside the top 6. I won't lose any sleep if QPR miss out.

He won't win many friends if some of those predictions are correct, but then some of the traditionally big clubs might struggle under FFP.

It will be interesting to see who can make their budget under FFP work effectively and show up some of the well heeled clubs.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here