Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chin Splints

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Are Jimmy Hill and Bruce Forsyth patrons of the UK Chin Splints Society?

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Ha Ha outstanding typo from me.

will check out stretching exercises on youtube and see about what else I can do.

Thanks for all the sensible suggestions.

"Didn't they do well"

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
In all seriousness I suffered with these for a while. Get some properly fitted shoes and stretch and warm up properly. Get a good muscle soak for the bath as well.

You'd look a right knob with shoes on your chin. How do you warm up your chin? Lean your face on the radiator.

You don't sound like a real doctor.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008

will check out stretching exercises on youtube and see about what else I can do.

"Didn't they do well"

I have suffered for some time with shin splints and a physio suggested that it was mainly to do with tight calf muscles. The shorter calves put extra strain on the shin muscles. If you're flexible enough to touch your toes, then spend 5 minutes morning and evening, sitting down, legs straight to stretch the calves. If you cant touch them, use a belt around them.

Sounds daft I know but it definitely helps.

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
I have suffered for some time with shin splints and a physio suggested that it was mainly to do with tight calf muscles. The shorter calves put extra strain on the shin muscles. If you're flexible enough to touch your toes, then spend 5 minutes morning and evening, sitting down, legs straight to stretch the calves. If you cant touch them, use a belt around them.

Sounds daft I know but it definitely helps.

Thanks mate will give it a bash.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Try a seated stretch.

Sit on a chair and place one foot slightly under the chair with the top of the foot resting against the floor so your thigh is at a 45 degree angle between the chair and the floor. Gently push down on the thigh for between 10 and 30 seconds. Repeat with the other foot.

If you have a desk job you can do this inteittently throughout the day.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

"Didn't they do well"

Years ago I thought I had shin splints, but it turned out to the patellar tendonitis. Apparently they are quite similar. Anyway, I was told to get some proper running trainers and keep off pavements for a while. When I'd recovered, I also ran for ages with a knee-strap, probably longer than I needed to. But I didn't want to run without it, just in case the problems started again.

Swimming might be an option, exercise-wise?

Good luck, snook.

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009

"Didn't they do well"

Give up golf, Snook. It's the only solution.

GYM

Jan 4, 2010
Leeds
DO NOT do impact exercise that could stress you shins out.

I recently had to have treatment for shin splints and I would not wish the treatment it on my worst enemy. (Mine weren't even that bad) If its get really really bad it can require an opporation to fix.

My advice is see a sports therapist. If you feel you can train through it you seem to have noticed it early. I had a 15 min massage (I use that term loosely) once a week for about 6 weeks This broke down the nots and and the stress in the muscles surrounding the shin. It involved a lot of rest and strenghening work. But I am right as reign now.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
DO NOT do impact exercise that could stress you shins out.

I recently had to have treatment for shin splints and I would not wish the treatment it on my worst enemy. (Mine weren't even that bad) If its get really really bad it can require an opporation to fix.

My advice is see a sports therapist. If you feel you can train through it you seem to have noticed it early. I had a 15 min massage (I use that term loosely) once a week for about 6 weeks This broke down the nots and and the stress in the muscles surrounding the shin. It involved a lot of rest and strenghening work. But I am right as reign now.

This is the woman I use. Very good indeed.

Annahopcroft.co.uk - Professional Sports Therapist

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Do some core exercises, a lot of injuries in the lower extremities can be dealt with by strengthening your core muscles. Best exercises if possible would be planks and balancing exercises as these will strengthen up your inner core muscles.

robbie c

Jan 30, 2008
Leighton buzzard
Does anybody suffer with these?

If you do have you had any luck at all with shifting them, and if you have what did you do?

I am suffering badly at the moment and the only advice the doctor has given me is to do no exercise what so ever for 6 months and see if that improves things. If I did that I would gain about 3 stone in weight (as dieting is not a speciality of mine) so am currently opting for just training through the pain.

Any help much appreciated.

James

Ask Mendoza

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here