Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Children at football

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
Im taking my 7 year old godson to his first game at the Amex tomorrow night.
He came to 1 game at Withdean when he was about 4.
He is only just 7 and quite a young 7 at that. He can be a bit shy and i am worried he may be intimitdated by the noise. However he has been asking me to go and I want to share something I love with him (and he started saying he supported Chelsea so I had to do something!).
Has anyone got any advice? It will be just the 2 of us and we are in WSL. I park at the uni so I don't have to worry about train/P and R etc.
Thanks

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
He will be fine - my daughter is 7 and went to every home game last season - she loves it!

Talk about the atmosphere on the way to the match with him and explain that it will be busy and noisy but it will be fun and exciting and he will be fine - Gully and Sally are normally outside the shop pre match so he will be able to have his picture taken with them and stuff - I am sure he will love it.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
The perfect age to start. I started taking my son at the same age. I was determined that he would support his local team.
We were season ticket holders at Withdean, and he loved it...but the Amex just blows him away. It would have been incredible to have started him off there.
He is now 15, and sentenced to a lifetime of following the Albion. I hope that your Godson gets the same sentence!

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
Oh and make sure he has plenty of layers on as once the temperature drops it can get quite nippy and you don't want him to remember his experience as being freezing cold - as that will be sure to put him off.

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
Oh and make sure he has plenty of layers on as once the temperature drops it can get quite nippy and you don't want him to remember his experience as being freezing cold - as that will be sure to put him off.

That's a great point, I will check when I pick him up

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
I took my 3 year old daughter to Saints v Man Utd the other week. She loved it and I bought her the full kit and everything. Made sure I had loads of soft drink, sweets etc for her though.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
My boy was 7 last year and a season ticket holder he loves it, the sweet shop is helpful (in the east don't know if there's one in the west) drink and crisps. Just be prepared for trips to the toilet at inopportune moments

cornish seagull

cornish seagull
Feb 25, 2011
cornwall
Took my son and daughter to their first match when they were 8&6(Plymouth v Bha). My little girl just loved it, especially the songs and the chants. Just started very Posh all Girls School in Cornwall and was asked by music teacher "what songs do you know?" My sweet (butter wouldn't melt) little girl sprang into action with !the ref is a wank**! We were called in!!!

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
Took my son and daughter to their first match when they were 8&6(Plymouth v Bha). My little girl just loved it, especially the songs and the chants. Just started very Posh all Girls School in Cornwall and was asked by music teacher "what songs do you know?" My sweet (butter wouldn't melt) little girl sprang into action with !the ref is a wank**! We were called in!!!

We may have to have a chat at some stage about words he hears that are not nice and must not be repeated or I may not be allowed to take him again!

Hatman1234

Aug 24, 2011
In a crater in the sea.
Not sure his parents would have appreciated that!

Only joshing fella.

My GF's brother lives in Southampton, who's 13, supports Chelsea and goes to St Marys all the time with his Dad. They bumped into Nigel Adkins in a pub one Sunday afternoon. He had his Chelsea shirt on, walked right up to Mr Adkins and asked for his autograph, saying he was the biggest Saints fan. I'd of slapped him!

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
We may have to have a chat at some stage about words he hears that are not nice and must not be repeated or I may not be allowed to take him again!

Good call - I have told my little one that sometimes she will hear bad words but what goes on at footie stays at footie!!! I have heard her on numerous occasions waving her hands when the goalie is kicking doing the "yourrrr shiiitttttt arrrrrggg" but I have never ever heard her do it outside the Amex - and we sit in the North!!!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Big match with a big crowd in a great stadium under the lights with a bit of crispness in the air? Tomorrow night is going to be MAGIC and your son will absolutely love it and be begging for more.

Enjoy it - it's a whole new experience going with you child(ren) - the start of a something you'll share together forever.*

(* - until he gets to the beery age anyway)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here