Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Child of the 70's? What was your favourite....

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Looking at some of the toys on here, there are some real gems I owned but have forgotten about.

Rebound (the one with the ball bearings where you had to bounce it off two elastic bands).
Crossfire.
Operation.
Computer Battleships (it took longer to programme the co-ordinates than play the game)
Ice hockey (only two players on each side) moving up and down.
Ancient tv video games where there was just one bar on either side you had to beat the other one with. Think they actually called it tennis!

But my favourite has to be Casdon Soccer. It came in huge box with Bobby Charlton on the front and you had to manoeuvre the ball to each of your players in there own zone over little bumps. Fantastic!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This thread becomes increasingly grotesque every time I look at it :lolol:

I'll offer one of the more astonishing things of the 70s, fou a young male teen (which I missed, but others will have see at a venue in Worthing, I think).

Hawkwind, with Stacia 'performing' :rock:

and yes

:needpics:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I look back on the 70's with much fondness, it was a great time to be a kid.
I was lucky because I was born in 1962, so by the time 1970 came along I was old enough to buy and smoke cigarettes.
So I could do all the things a kid could do in the 70's and look cool doing it.
Embassy No1 was my fag of choice.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Bit (!) older than the thread starter, so I was grown up in the 70s, but still an interesting decade.

Fashion: flared trousers, cheesecloth shirts, platform soles and heels (loved 'em);
Drinks[//B]: Alcohol by the 70s!
Sweets: Liquorice Allsorts - there was a shop across the road from the Anglican Cathedral in Liverpool that sold mis-shapes from the factory for about 5p a hundredweight;
Cars: Renault 750, a yellow mini (years before Mr. Bloody Bean got one!), Austin A40, a couple of vans (for the band), a Mk1 Cortina, an MG roadster and a Triumph Herald - a lot of cars, but they didn't last long in those days - all were quickly worn out and knackered and ready only for the scrap heap. Bit like girlfriends back then too...........
Music: Quadraphenia, Stairway to Heaven, Prog rock......followed by punk (I was a late comer to that though);

Other things I miss from the 70s.......
Smoking upstairs on the bus (and in trains, shops, cinemas, lectures, etc.);
Paki shops - yes, before you burst a blood vessel, they still exist, but we don't call them that any more - fair enough, if it gave offence to the shop owners concerned, quite right we should change. Back then, however, the term was used without spite or malice, to describe corner shops which were open until 10 o'clock or later, sold you single cigarettes, had a peculiar system of adding up if you bought more than two or three items and were generally run by people with browner skin than most of us. Much appreciated by students and others, no offence intended in the language, and no holier-than-thous screaming 'racist' at us; it wasn't, back then. And, in the cities I lived in back then (Liverpool and Edinburgh), much less racial tension.
White dog poo;
POTG;
Pretty girls without tattoos.............................
Contraception pills and no such thing as AIDS;
.......and beer much less than £1 a pint!

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Bit (!) older than the thread starter....

The thread starter was me, "pre-flounce", in the early days when I dared to step forth into NSC after years of lurking - then buggered off to give myself a stern talking to. I'm all misty-eyed now! :cry:

Pretty girls without tattoos is a good shout. It used to be in the confine of munters, but now even the beauties have got crap scrawled all over them - permanently, and having paid for it. Their choice though, so fair do's.

As for the 70's (and 80's) - I may have been brought up in a shit little council house with parents (and grandma) who had no money, but the times surrounding it were amazing. I genuinely wouldn't change a thing, and I am aware that sounds stupid.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
The thread starter was me, "pre-flounce", in the early days when I dared to step forth into NSC after years of lurking - then buggered off to give myself a stern talking to. I'm all misty-eyed now! :cry:

Pretty girls without tattoos is a good shout. It used to be in the confine of munters, but now even the beauties have got crap scrawled all over them - permanently, and having paid for it. Their choice though, so fair do's.

As for the 70's (and 80's) - I may have been brought up in a shit little council house with parents (and grandma) who had no money, but the times surrounding it were amazing. I genuinely wouldn't change a thing, and I am aware that sounds stupid.

I think you have to look at it that we were kids in the 70's and we did not know any better, the kids today are living in the now and they also know no better either, they in the future will say that the 2010's were a great time.
So I have thought long and hard about it and in conclusion, taking everything into consideration, would I rather be a kid now rather than then.
Absolutely no way would I.
I have a 14 year old so I am in the mix, but I actually feel very sorry for the kids today, in many ( but not all) ways it's bloody awful.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I have a 14 year old so I am in the mix, but I actually feel very sorry for the kids today, in many ( but not all) ways it's bloody awful.

I have a 19 and an 18 year old. I feel sorry for them not being able to make tits of themselves on a night out, make mistakes, do stupid shit, and learn from it - because camera phones and social media are waiting like the grim reaper at every turn, ready to f*ck their social status and 'reputation'.

"Mate, you should have seen yourself last night !!" should stay right there... Last night.

In 'Modern times' - the thing I was always a bit jealous of was my kids (sorry, I had money then - not now) being able to watch a DVD on the back of the car headrests, between going on their iPads, on a long journey. All i had was "I spy" - or most of the time the "BE QUIET!!" game... :glare:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Looking at some of the toys on here, there are some real gems I owned but have forgotten about.

Rebound (the one with the ball bearings where you had to bounce it off two elastic bands).
Crossfire.
Operation.
Computer Battleships (it took longer to programme the co-ordinates than play the game)
Ice hockey (only two players on each side) moving up and down.
Ancient tv video games where there was just one bar on either side you had to beat the other one with. Think they actually called it tennis!

But my favourite has to be Casdon Soccer. It came in huge box with Bobby Charlton on the front and you had to manoeuvre the ball to each of your players in there own zone over little bumps. Fantastic!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That has just bought memories rushing back. I haven't thought about that game since childhood. Fantastic!!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I have a 19 and an 18 year old. I feel sorry for them not being able to make tits of themselves on a night out, make mistakes, do stupid shit, and learn from it - because camera phones and social media are waiting like the grim reaper at every turn, ready to f*ck their social status and 'reputation'.

"Mate, you should have seen yourself last night !!" should stay right there... Last night.

In 'Modern times' - the thing I was always a bit jealous of was my kids (sorry, I had money then - not now) being able to watch a DVD on the back of the car headrests, between going on their iPads, on a long journey. All i had was "I spy" - or most of the time the "BE QUIET!!" game... :glare:

Great points, some things are much better, but looking at the whole picture, no way is it better today.
When I left school and up to 20 years old on a modest wage I could;
Go to the pub Thursday to Sunday.
Go to a club Friday and Saturday.
Run a crappy ford fiesta, tax, insure and put petrol in it.
Buy a few clothes and records.
Rent a cheap bed sit or shared flat.
Save for a 2 week holiday with spending money.
200 pounds changed into drachma lasted 2 weeks.
It's strange how times have changed so much.
Online bullying with kids on Snapchat etc is a parents nightmare, availability of hard drugs, knives etc, yes we had punch ups, football violence and a bit of bullying in school but it's off the scale now.
Will it just get worse, is it at a peak or will it get better for the kids in the future?
I guess they are more streetwise and savvy to today's world but the temptation is there, I guess because it was not like this for us, it makes us worry more, my parents were maybe just as worried when I was out until 2am.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I was lucky because I was born in 1962, so by the time 1970 came along I was old enough to buy and smoke cigarettes.

:lolol:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

In my last year of Primary School, a mate bought a pack of 10 Embassy's. We 'smoked' them in old air raid shelter, but I could only cough and splutter. Luckily I never did get the hang of it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Being a kid in the 70s was great because life was so dull that lighting a fire, or smoking a fag, was deliciously liberating. If you go down to the bottom of Easthill park, Portslade, in the South West corner, you will see a flint wall that has been rebuilt 'modern'. I demolished that wall, using an abandoned lump of metal fifty two years ago. I occasionally go back there to admire my handiwork/experience a pang of shame and guilt, depending on my mood.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think you have to look at it that we were kids in the 70's and we did not know any better, the kids today are living in the now and they also know no better either, they in the future will say that the 2010's were a great time.
So I have thought long and hard about it and in conclusion, taking everything into consideration, would I rather be a kid now rather than then.
Absolutely no way would I.

With no internet or social media then, you simply chatted with your mates face to face until 'the cows came home'. Far less opportunity for boasting and envy. Remote bullying post school hours was impossible, kids who were bullied by other kids were safe once home (assuming a safe home life, but that has always varied).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here