Chewing gum in security boxes!!!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
A strange subject for a thread but someone may be able to enlighten me.
My daughter wanted, amongst other things some chewing gum from tesco. I found the packets of five retailing around £2.50. Each packet had however been placed in the sort of box that supermarkets put CDs and DVDs in. When I took it to the checkout the box had to be removed using one of those machines they have. I did not realise that chewing gum was such a high risk product for theft. Has anyone else noticed this? It was the Boundary Road branch. I also saw in West Hove CCTV warning stickers next to the chewing gum so something is obviously going on in the underground world of Ice White retail

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Very bizarre, even more bizarre is this story on the theft of chewing gum from the Swindon Advertiser. Eastern europeans use it as currency?!? really? Saying that, these romanians will nick anything that isn't nailed down, and if it is they will angle grind it off and nick it anyway.

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/9474676.Thieves__bizarre_bid_to_steal_over___1_000_of_chewing_gum/

That must be the reason then- theft and use as Romanian Currency.

SuperJP20

Jun 9, 2011
Strange as it seems, chewing gum is a pretty desirable target for eastern european shoplifters. Its got a recognisable brand, relatively easy to steal, and has a long shelf life making it easier to move around.

A few multipacks of gum and you can quickly rack up a few quid.

Noddy11

Nov 24, 2011
noticed this myself the other day when in the spirits aisle the guy was putting a safety lock on lietrally every single bottle. in the old days these were limited to the more expensive single malts and the champers. He told me that the old wire ring ones were simply being cut off now and had become obselete, sign of the times I think

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports