Cheltenham away, the hamburger stand and Julian Alsop

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

richmond

May 30, 2008
Some years ago at Cheltenham away we lost 3-1. The highlight of the game for me was the hamburger stand going up in flames (this was when it was terracing at the away end. A certain Julian Alsop scored one with his head for Cheltenham. I'm sure you lot will remember that, Micky Adam's changed the back line and we were 2-0 down inside the first 15 mins.

Anyway, I went to see Abingdon Utd v Bishops Cleeve on Saturday, noticed their big, lumbering centre forward for Bishops...yep, that's right...Julian Alsop no less.

No he didn't score. Abingdon won 2-1.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
that day was a total f***ing shambles from start to finish, with the only highlight being the burger van going up in smoke

hard to believe that is the same julian alsop who would go onto get sacked from oxford for shoving a banana up a youth players bottom a couple of years later

richmond

May 30, 2008
the right footed Denilson: thanks for the bit about Julian and Oxford, I'd completely forgotton about that bit of his 'career'

You are right Scotty Mac, the day was a complete defensive shambles. I remember listening to fans next to me saying as the teams were announced 'why has Adams changed the back line, why is he playing so and so out of position.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Hadn't Cullip been out suspended and MA brought him back in against his stated policy of keeping the shirt - and brought Cullip back in and played three at the back.

We were greeted by what looked like Riot police - and some steward thought he was going to frisk my (about) 10-year-old son and daughter. Yea right.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Hadn't Cullip been out suspended and MA brought him back in against his stated policy of keeping the shirt - and brought Cullip back in and played three at the back.

Correct. I was chummy with Ross Johnson in those days and he told me Adams gave them no instructions other than telling him, Cullip and the other one that they were to play as a 'three'.

Also, there was fisticuffs in the toilets between two Albion fans and a huge arguement on the terraces between some other supporters.

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
I think Cartwright was in goal and had a 'mare. Including jumping over one of McCann's freekicks.

I believe these were the first three goals we had conceded for ages, Cartright had just broken (and still probably holds) the longest Albion "clean sheet" for a keeper ... he had a first-half 'mare and Mickey Adams took him off at half time.

Step forward some dutch chap, whose name escapes me...

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
We were greeted by what looked like Riot police - and some steward thought he was going to frisk my (about) 10-year-old son and daughter. Yea right.

The Cheltenham career stewards were absolute nobs as far as I can remember. I had the pleasure of working with them for a while, along with four friends, during my uni days. Crude, antagonistic and mentally flawed in most cases.

Your post does not surprise me in the slightest. Massive ego trips galore at Whaddon Road. Amazing what a pair of boots, combat trousers, leather gloves and a clip on ties does to people.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
The burger van going up in flames was high comedy. When the lad running it finally decided to fling open the door and 'abandon van' it was to a chorus of "You don't know what you're doing!" from the Albion fans.

Happy days!

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
The Cheltenham career stewards were absolute nobs as far as I can remember. I had the pleasure of working with them for a while, along with four friends, during my uni days. Crude, antagonistic and mentally flawed in most cases.

Your post does not surprise me in the slightest. Massive ego trips galore at Whaddon Road. Amazing what a pair of boots, combat trousers, leather gloves and a clip on ties does to people.

:lol: you should see them now....half couldnt catch a cold let alone a pitch invader

was a fun day though

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This thread reminds me of the Feethams food kiosk raids. Everytime the poor lad serving customers would turn his back grabbing hands would steal Mars Bars and other confectionary items stupidly placed within arms reach.

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
I believe these were the first three goals we had conceded for ages, Cartright had just broken (and still probably holds) the longest Albion "clean sheet" for a keeper ... he had a first-half 'mare and Mickey Adams took him off at half time.

Step forward some dutch chap, whose name escapes me...

I think you are referring to Michel's debut at Southend, where he was taken off at half time by MA and replaced by Cartwright in the first game of the season.

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
I think you are referring to Michel's debut at Southend, where he was taken off at half time by MA and replaced by Cartwright in the first game of the season.

I was at that game too, but memory plays tricks...

perhaps it was the last time cartwright played for us...

or perhaps I was too engrossed in the hilarity of the burger van being wheeled out through the gates still on fire..

Normandy seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Orne 61 France
surprised nobody has mentioned the real reason we got stuffed that day. The team coach broke down on the M40 near Stokenchurch and players arrived very late. They were mentally shot to pieces and that why we got hammered. The burger van fire was funny though! I also remember the stewards thinking about consficating my soft toy gully fromt the seagulls shop! unbelievable

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports