Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chelski to the rescue?

Nobby Nomates

Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Never mind the over rated foreign show ponies, the thought of Gerrard going to play regular club football with Lampard isn't a bad one.

Now, if Abramovich would also stump up for Rooney and Owen, they'd have the chance to play and develop together in a team playing the highest level of club football, alongside the spine of the English midfield.

The good news is that all four of them have at least three major tournaments left in them.

I detest the way the obscene amount of money in the premiership is eliminating all but a handful of teams from the chance of winning the title, but if Arsenal can do it for France, why can't Chelski do it for England?

Virgo's Haircut

Resident Train Guru
Jul 5, 2003
On a train...
I'm not sure that Gerrard go to Chelsea is such a good move for him. Do you really think he'll play week in, week out with another 5 or 6 midfielders all competing for places?

Nobby Nomates

Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Mourinho apparently wants to have a clear out of Chelsea's ' Bloated' squad. I know he's got a lot of cash, but how happy would Abramovich be to pay £30m+ for Gerrard and not play him?

If the pressure is on Mourinho to produce results, he'll go for his best starting players with much less tinkering than Ranieri.

So yes, I think he would play Lampard and Gerrard.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Is this the same Chelsea that's about to sideline future England right-back Glen Johnson by buying Paolo Ferreira?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
its about time we re-introduced the maximum johnny foreigner rule again . . .the FA need to move into the 19th century at least and start thinking about the state of English footbal as a whole . . .from the Park upwards . . . .

Nobby Nomates

Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Wozza said:
Is this the same Chelsea that's about to sideline future England right-back Glen Johnson by buying Paolo Ferreira?

Yes - that's the lot. The same lot that's keeping the 'greatest English midfielder since Gascoigne' - Joe Cole to you and I - on the bench.

If Glen johnson is that good, he should be able to convince Mourinho - who can't have seen too much of him yet - that he's better than the second choice Portugese right back he's just signed. If not, you have to ask if he's really that good.....

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
I though Rooney was pondering a move to "Withdean??"

:(

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Yep, Glen Johnson, Joe Cole AND Scott Parker.

If we want a strong England team we need players that will play week, week out. Somebody like Francis Jeffers could have been a bench option last night but for the fact his career has gone backwards in the last year. The same can be said of Joe Cole.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Nobby Nomates said:
If Glen johnson is that good, he should be able to convince Mourinho - who can't have seen too much of him yet - that he's better than the second choice Portugese right back he's just signed. If not, you have to ask if he's really that good.....

A player can't develop if he's not picked.

Mourinho ain't going to drop his £13m+ boy wonder signing just because Johnson is playing well in reserves.

Nobby Nomates

Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Wozza said:
A player can't develop if he's not picked.

Mourinho ain't going to drop his £13m+ boy wonder signing just because Johnson is playing well in reserves.

I can't see how gerrard playing regular club football with Lampard can possibly be a bad thing? He is a proven commodity and would be signed because he is considered by Mourinho to be the best player for that position.

As for Johnson, he may be talented, but is still, as yet, unproven at the highest level. Chelsea may not be the best place for him to develop, because you may be right that he remains a squad player, only starting for league cup games. If that's the case, if he wants to mature and become England's first choice right back, he may have to leave and go somewhere to prove Mourinho wrong.

Chelsea have deep pockets and can afford to buy proven commodities for its first team. They're probably a good finishing school, but a crap nursery.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Nobby Nomates said:
I can't see how gerrard playing regular club football with Lampard can possibly be a bad thing?

I didn't say that. :jester:

But you're on another planet if you think Chelsea are the saviours [corrected!] of the English football team.

Last edited:

Nobby Nomates

Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Wozza said:

But you're on another planet if you think Chelsea are the savours of the English football team.

You're right - you didn't day that. But you implied it. I said it would be a good thing for lampard and gerrard to play together regularly at club level. You asked if that was the same club that Glen Johnson (won't) be playing for next season. To me, that implies disapproval of the original statement.

I think you're on another planet if you don't think that England teamates playing together at club level is a good idea.

:D

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Wozza said:

Chelsea are the savours of the English football team.

Prefer the savour of Brighton and Hove Albion myself :jester:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Nobby Nomates said:
I think you're on another planet if you don't think that England teamates playing together at club level is a good idea.

But it's no big deal is it?

Manyoo's treble-winning side included Beckham, Scholes, Butt, Cole, the Nevilles and Sherringham - but that didn't help England win anything.

(And, going back to your original point, Chelsea can do a LOT better than buying Owen).

Mr Popkins

Jul 8, 2003
LIVING IN SIN
zefarelly said:
its about time we re-introduced the maximum johnny foreigner rule again . . .the FA need to move into the 19th century at least and start thinking about the state of English footbal as a whole . . .from the Park upwards . . . .

under european law this is not possible with european players, they are intitiled to work wherever they like within the european union.

you could put a limit on non european players though

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
The Northstander said:
I though Rooney was pondering a move to "Withdean??"

:(

He was but then Withdean 2000 went bust trying to underwrite his wages!

Indefatigable

Mar 23, 2004
Wozza said:

You've got the wrong end of the stick Wozza - Kenyon described it as complimenting Johnson.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
Virgo's Haircut said:
I'm not sure that Gerrard go to Chelsea is such a good move for him. Do you really think he'll play week in, week out with another 5 or 6 midfielders all competing for places?

lampard and gerrard would play most games for chelski. when they dont play the will be saving thereselves for the next world cup. they should not be jaded. so this would help england.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here