Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chelsea isn't Brighton

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Indeed, can’t see Sterling playing RWB and being happy about it. TT says he wants to work a smaller club as he’s done with the ego’s.

Interesting, where dya get this info?

It's one thing having owners, the back team and manager inline with The New Plan. Quite another to get the massive over inflated egos of super mega rich players (rather than just multi millionaire players) into it, when you haven't won or come even close to winning a damn thing Graham Who. I guess Wenger is the model but those were different times when he started.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
....Their new owners seem sensible .....

Sorry, you lost me at this part.

Getting rid of any one with experience, appointing yourself director of football, spending hundreds of millions erratically when then sacking your manager when your they're 6th, 4 points off Man City who most think will easily win the league doesn't strike me as particularly sensible

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
No idea how it will turn out but will certainly be interesting.

I can't bother doing like with Brighton - checking out player reactions and what not. I haven't even looked at their squad or thought about what he will be doing with it. But it certainly will be interesting to see how it goes.

I think he is well aware that Chelsea is a tougher club with more angry entitled fans and that there could be more booing etc. Don't see that it will come as a shock to him.

Player management is a different fiver. Sure, he has worked with some big players and probably some big egos in Brighton, no doubt, but there he was in control for the entire time - he could pretty much create a new dressing room environment. Now he gets thrown into an existing structure and there might be people who think some of his methods are "tinpot".

Think he'll connect nicely with the English players but Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang is a well-known source of lacking professionalism and they're stuck with that idiotic signing for two years. Hakim Ziyech is a **** and I imagine Jorginho and Thiago Silva who has both been around forever might think "what the **** is this?".

But they also shipped some "too good to stand in front of their teammates and talk about their childhood"-players this summer so at least that is giving him an advantage.

All in all, it will be interesting to see how it all goes from some kind of sociological perspective.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
No idea how it will turn out but will certainly be interesting.

I can't bother doing like with Brighton - checking out player reactions and what not. I haven't even looked at their squad or thought about what he will be doing with it. But it certainly will be interesting to see how it goes.

I think he is well aware that Chelsea is a tougher club with more angry entitled fans and that there could be more booing etc. Don't see that it will come as a shock to him.

Player management is a different fiver. Sure, he has worked with some big players and probably some big egos in Brighton, no doubt, but there he was in control for the entire time - he could pretty much create a new dressing room environment. Now he gets thrown into an existing structure and there might be people who think some of his methods are "tinpot".

Think he'll connect nicely with the English players but Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang is a well-known source of lacking professionalism and they're stuck with that idiotic signing for two years. Hakim Ziyech is a **** and I imagine Jorginho and Thiago Silva who has both been around forever might think "what the **** is this?".

But they also shipped some "too good to stand in front of their teammates and talk about their childhood"-players this summer so at least that is giving him an advantage.

All in all, it will be interesting to see how it all goes from some kind of sociological perspective.

At least Connor Gallagher will not be going to Palace I guess

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Potter's now got five little minions tied to his coat-tails. Can't imagine many future employers wanting to take on an entourage that size. Which will spell bad news for a couple of them eighteen months down the line

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
As [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] said it will be interesting and we WILL all watch how it unfolds for a few months anyway I think.

His tactics are brilliant, importantly the forwards have the ability to take their chances and are talent wise a step up from here. The big question mark is attitudes when dropped or not picked.

If, as I believe, he found Maupay “difficult” it could be a challenge for him as I imagine they have a few who could teach Neal a lesson about being difficult.

I think he’ll do well but his stress levels will rise significantly, both with players and fans when they have a bad run, how will he cope day in day out with that could be the making or breaking of him.

I think he’s gone to the wrong club but as [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] and some others have suggested it was the only top club he could go to where he can stay living down here and continue to spend plenty of time with his family, so it does make sense that he wasn’t going to turn them down.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
The Leeds booing only became a thing because of Potter's reaction - Potter could have been more humble at that moment, but decided to show emotion... exactly what some Brighton fans chose to do.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
The sad thing is, I wished him well. Disappointed and all that, gutted in fact. But CL football with a top 4 side (even though he won't last the first bad run). He'll get his 10 platinum Lamborghini's and a yacht the size of the Ark Royal. Congrats.

But since he's come in and PILLAGED our entire coaching staff and chief recruiter - well, f*ck you Graham. F*ck you and the horse you rode in on. I hope you and Chelsea crash and Dan burn.

This - with knobs on.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I guess this leaves the Chelsea/Albion half n half JCL fans in the WSL with a bit more clarity on who they support

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The sad thing is, I wished him well. Disappointed and all that, gutted in fact. But CL football with a top 4 side (even though he won't last the first bad run). He'll get his 10 platinum Lamborghini's and a yacht the size of the Ark Royal. Congrats.

But since he's come in and PILLAGED our entire coaching staff and chief recruiter - well, f*ck you Graham. F*ck you and the horse you rode in on. I hope you and Chelsea crash and Dan burn.

Yes. And he'll probably come back in January and do the same with the players. Because it all DID happen so quickly I think (with no evidence I might add) that the ball was set in motion long before Tuchel got the push, maybe even during the summer. If so I wonder if Potter did the decent thing and told TB? I'd feel a bit better about it then.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
He's gone to a so-called 'superclub' but was already at a super club.

I don't begrudge him for his big money move. But he took Bruno and Roberts, so I truly hope it blows up in his face.

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
I'm old enough to remember when Frank Lampard was given the Chelsea job on the promise that it was a long term project where expectations were low in the short term, and he'd be given time to bring the youngsters through...

Fans of the big clubs (most recently Man Utd) are always quick to say they'd accept a period of mediocrity to rebuild when things haven't been going well, but in reality they just want instant success or it's on to the next one

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm old enough to remember when Frank Lampard was given the Chelsea job on the promise that it was a long term project where expectations were low in the short term, and he'd be given time to bring the youngsters through...

Fans of the big clubs (most recently Man Utd) are always quick to say they'd accept a period of mediocrity to rebuild when things haven't been going well, but in reality they just want instant success or it's on to the next one

The slight difference being, Chelsea were under a transfer embargo when they gave the job to FF in July 2019, so the dynamics were different. He got his customary 18 months, before being binned in Jan 21 when results weren't significantly picking up. Without the consideration of the embargo, he probably wouldn't have made it to 12 months.

But I make you right. Chelsea have just spunked a quarter of a BILLION in one transfer window, so all this idealistic talk of giving him a long-term deal for him to shape the team will, IMO, end up as guff. Its patently not his team, yet he will be expected to hit the ground running immediately, or patience will start to run very thin, very quickly IMO. Senior players hold so much power at the big clubs, so much ego, and that dressing room is rammed with characters who will be "Graham WHO ?".

Personally I think Potter has boosted his bank balance, but made a really crap career move, however "glamarous" it may be. Its going to fascinating to watch. The grass is not always greener.

D

Deleted member 2719

I am so confused!!!!! Want him to fail and be succesfull!!!!! I need help!!!!

What you really want is for him to be successful and then become the England manager and bring it home to the 2026 world cup.

And all of us will feel better then..........assuming we are still playing high-quality football in the Premier league.:lolol:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
He won't survive having a 6 game losing run or a 13 game winless run, not like that's likely to happen with the multi billion pound squad he's inherited! Unless Chelsea give him a year or 2 to bed his team in?. Maybe they are looking at a season or 2 to challenge the top 2?

The Shed End are already negative, and someone has actually gone #potterout on Twitter. They’ll turn on him completely at the first sign of anything they don’t like. The fact he’s cost them £80m won’t help his case.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here