[Football] Chelsea are going for it it seems

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Football is littered with examples of people who were top class players but lousy managers. Thinking just of English clubs, just off the top of my head, I can give you Bobby Charlton, Bobby Moore, Mark Lawrenson, Tony Adams, Alan Shearer, Stuart Pearce, Paul Ince etc Given some thought, I'd give plenty more.

Then look at the managers who were very average or mediocre players: Mourinho, Wenger, Klopp, Pulis, Allardyce but have had a long and successful career (the last two may not have won anything but they've managed a lot of clubs and generally done well)

Being a good player and a good manager are definitely not the same thing

Completely agree, but being good at both isnt impossible, especially these days when you're not alone in the job

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I thought some time ago that Chelsea’s transfer ban might inadvertently do them a favour. They happened to have a fantastic crop of young players coming through; parallels with Manchester United in the mid-90s might have been a bit premature but it’s certainly rare that you get so many top-class youngsters coming through at the same time.

What they appear to be doing is very clever; spending that unspent cash on more soon-to-be world young players who for the most part are probably three or four years away from the beginning of their peak.

I think Chelsea are honest enough to know that they can’t challenge Liverpool or Man City this season, and no amount of money can change that. But they’re playing the long game - what they could have a few years from now could be absolutely incredible.

Disagree.

I actually think it’s quite sad that the exciting up and coming team they had last year is being pulled apart by expensive foreign signings.

Lampard did well last year and the likes of Mount, Abraham and Hudson-Odoi would’ve been nowhere the team if there’d been no ban on the them. Instead they did really well and got the club into the CL. I’m not sure how much game time they’ll get now the club have gone out and spent so much on expensive imports. The club seem to have reverted back to the old Chelski and ignored the impact of their great youth system last year.

They’ll probably do well but the soul has been lost imho.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Disagree.

I actually think it’s quite sad that the exciting up and coming team they had last year is being pulled apart by expensive foreign signings.

Lampard did well last year and the likes of Mount, Abraham and Hudson-Odoi would’ve been nowhere the team if there’d been no ban on the them. Instead they did really well and got the club into the CL. I’m not sure how much game time they’ll get now the club have gone out and spent so much on expensive imports. The club seem to have reverted back to the old Chelski and ignored the impact of their great youth system last year.

They’ll probably do well but the soul has been lost imho.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I quite agree with you - they had a very good side last year but now that Abramovich's cheque book has been opened again they've reverted to type. Agreed that they have bought very very good players but at the expense of the decent crew that they had last year. Hopefully the likes of Batshuayi,Abraham et al will realise that they are not going to get much of a look in and try to move on to somewhere where they will get a regular game.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think this main issue at Chelski is their defence unless they improve that they will struggle to compete with the elite

The point made on radio today.

£260m spent in this window by the end of these current purchases, and they haven’t dealt with £72m flop Kepa and only £35m Thiago has been brought in to cover their car crash of CB’s.

It’s not just ManC they have to usurp, Liverpool, ManU and a resurgent Arsenal all look very good.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
The point made on radio today.

£260m spent in this window by the end of these current purchases, and they haven’t dealt with £72m flop Kepa and only £35m Thiago has been brought in to cover their car crash of CB’s.

It’s not just ManC they have to usurp, Liverpool, ManU and a resurgent Arsenal all look very good.

Thiago was a free transfer.
He'll make a massive difference in the biggest games- their defence really wasn't that bad.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Chelsea’s defence was shocking last season - 54 goals conceded. The same as relatively low budget relegation contenders BHAFC.

Liverpool 33
Citeh 35
Manure 36
Wolves 40
Leicester 41

And they have signed one of the best central defenders of his generation and the best English left back.
EDIT: And it was only a few months ago Tomori was being hailed as the future of English football!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports