Ched Evans

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Personally I don't take a lot from these statements, as I'm so used to seeing scummy rich criminals making insincere statements that their lawyers have written because it looks good, rather than because it's anything from the heart.

Quite. Every single word of that statement will have been hand-crafted by his lawyers.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
IMO I think that this is getting too far now, I saw today that Marlon King has 12 criminal convictions including the ones where he hit women, add this with the fact that Lee Hughes and that Plymouth goalie are murderers but were there thousands of people signing petitions, sponsors threatening to pull out, threats against the board members and families? no there wasn't. The fact is that the media have really turned against evans (rightly or wrongly) and people are now seeing it as offensive if a club signed him, and all these people who are so upset about the evans case but didn't say anything about hughes and the others are wrong. Is rape any worse than two young boys who will never grow up and their families have a huge hole in their lives, no because you can't compare the two crimes but that doesn't mean that people can pick and choose who should be allowed to continue with their lives after they have served their time.

Did you know in the whole of this thread you are the first person to use the "it's not fair"defence. The "crime top trumps" defence.

You've convinced me. I want him in at the Albion because he's "no worse than Marlon King."

Who's with me?

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
People have made some seriously nasty threats to the members of Oldham's board. Can you tell me whose name they have been made in?

And that is a horrible thing to do and they should be punished for making those threats, but a) I doubt they were made in support of the victim but rather against Ched Evans and b) its not like the victim or anyone associated with her has had a chance to issue a statement condeming those threats. Unlike all the time Ched had to make a statement as his victim was hounded into moving several times...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I read the same thing, but in the article linked it says she was estimated to be two and a half times the limit, i'm not a drinker but that sounds more tipsy than drunk, I could be completely wrong though.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-30697264

Quite a good article that. A defence employed expert attempted to estimate her alcohol level at the time of the incident - that was there conclusion. There is nothing definitive as by the time the police doctor test her blood the day after, most of the alcohol had gone.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
IMO I think that this is getting too far now, I saw today that Marlon King has 12 criminal convictions including the ones where he hit women, .

King is a horrible man.

add this with the fact that Lee Hughes and that Plymouth goalie are murderers

err. No, no they are not. That's not a very clever thing to write.

were there thousands of people signing petitions

Yes, yes there were.

Thand all these people who are so upset about the evans case but didn't say anything about hughes and the others are wrong.

Who are these people you refer to? There was hugh outcry over both Hughes and McCormick - even if the current much wider use of social media has highlighted this one more. On here for instance there were the very same discussions about whether you would accept the players at the club (as there was with King, and Nile Ranger, and others).

who should be allowed to continue with their lives

Nobody has suggested that Evans can't 'continue with his life'.

after they have served their time.

He has NOT 'served his time' though. He's served half of it, and is (inexplicably given his lack of contrition) out on license.

theyellowdinosaur

Nov 29, 2011
Did you know in the whole of this thread you are the first person to use the "it's not fair"defence. The "crime top trumps" defence.

You've convinced me. I want him in at the Albion because he's "no worse than Marlon King."

Who's with me?

I never said I wanted him at the albion did I? All I'm saying is that how can people act differently between the two, either all of them shouldn't be playing or all of them should be allowed to continue their careers

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Did he see my post a couple of pages back?

Get that website down now Ched, there's a good lad.

Yep, too little too late. It seems that his legal advice and website were all driven by the Massey's. There is a certain amount of arrogance in believing that wealth and conections will overcome everything, and can buy people out of trouble. Maybe the Massey's Preston Jeweller's chain should be boycotted.

He has only now distanced himself from the vindictive use of social media towards the girl, but had he or his legal team been assertive he would have been best advised to have condemned the abuse towards Jessica Ennis at the time. The strange thing is that the Massey's used their best connections and legal team on this, probably spent hundreds of thousands in advice, but these "professionals" have made a right pigs ear of it at every level.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I never said I wanted him at the albion did I? All I'm saying is that how can people act differently between the two, either all of them shouldn't be playing or all of them should be allowed to continue their careers

Which is why the FA / PFA should realise the extent of opinion and review their own codes of conduct for being a professional footballer. I don't think any of them should be playing, but the FA can't act retrospectively. They need new policies that serious crime will lead to exclusion from the game in excess of any custodial sentences.

theyellowdinosaur

Nov 29, 2011
King is a horrible man.

add this with the fact that Lee Hughes and that Plymouth goalie are murderers QUOTE]

err. No, no they are not. That's not a very clever thing to write.

Yes, yes there were.

Thand all these people who are so upset about the evans case but didn't say anything about hughes and the others are wrong./QUOTE]

Who are these people you refer to? There was hugh outcry over both Hughes and McCormick - even if the current much wider use of social media has highlighted this one more. On here for instance there were the very same discussions about whether you would accept the players at the club (as there was with King, and Nile Ranger, and others).

Nobody has suggested that Evans can't 'continue with his life'.

He has NOT 'served his time' though. He's served half of it, and is (inexplicably given his lack of contrition) out on license.

Ok so maybe they weren't charged with murder, but they still took the lives of those people, I actually agree and don't think Evans should be allowed to play unless his appeal is successful (which I doubt) but I don't think Hughes, King or the goalie should be allowed to play either

theyellowdinosaur

Nov 29, 2011
Which is why the FA / PFA should realise the extent of opinion and review their own codes of conduct for being a professional footballer. I don't think any of them should be playing, but the FA can't act retrospectively. They need new policies that serious crime will lead to exclusion from the game in excess of any custodial sentences.

Agreed and that is what people should be campaigning for, not trying to stop one player, there will be more cases such as this one in the future so why not act now

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well I assumed that the driving limit on alcohol would rightfully be fairly low, so two and a half times that would not be a significant amount. Given that you have said that it equates to four and a half pints I rather feel I was right.
I'm just guessing what it would be for me - we're working backwards and then forwards to get to where we were in the first place here - she's said how much she's drunk, experts have guess how much over the limit she'd be, and I'm guessing what that is for me, when all you really need to know is how much she said she'd drunk :)

Certainly doesn't seem enough to cause memory loss?
That's the thing, we're all very different. It seems there is not enough alcohol in Britain to make me lose my memory (or to be more sincere, after a few pints, I'm sick and incapable of drinking more.

Quite. Every single word of that statement will have been hand-crafted by his lawyers.
Indeed. So I don't take a lot from it, but then I don't take much from the fact he didn't make the statement earlier. If he had, it would have just been his lawyers doing their job. He didn't, so his lawyers weren't doing their job. I'm not giving him a lot of credit now, but I'm also not criticising him a lot for not making the statement earlier.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Jesus, now the Oldham chairman's quit. The casualties are stacking up...

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
IMO I think that this is getting too far now, I saw today that Marlon King has 12 criminal convictions including the ones where he hit women, add this with the fact that Lee Hughes and that Plymouth goalie are murderers but were there thousands of people signing petitions, sponsors threatening to pull out, threats against the board members and families? no there wasn't. The fact is that the media have really turned against evans (rightly or wrongly) and people are now seeing it as offensive if a club signed him, and all these people who are so upset about the evans case but didn't say anything about hughes and the others are wrong. Is rape any worse than two young boys who will never grow up and their families have a huge hole in their lives, no because you can't compare the two crimes but that doesn't mean that people can pick and choose who should be allowed to continue with their lives after they have served their time.

I suggest you ask the mods to remove this post. Lee Hughes was found guilty of causing death by dangerous driving (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Hughes) and therefore is not, as you have stated, rather libelously, "a murderer", unless of course you have knowledge of another crime you are alleging he has committed that isn't in the public domain!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
And that is a horrible thing to do and they should be punished for making those threats, but a) I doubt they were made in support of the victim but rather against Ched Evans
What we know is that the threats (all of them) were made by scumbags. I don't think it's fair to say anyone other than the people that made them are responsible for them.

b) its not like the victim or anyone associated with her has had a chance to issue a statement condeming those threats.
I'm don't think she should make a statement, I don't think it's anything to do with her, but she could if she wanted to.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I suggest you ask the mods to remove this post. Lee Hughes was found guilty of causing death by dangerous driving (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Hughes) and therefore is not, as you have stated, rather libelously, "a murderer", unless of course you have knowledge of another crime you are alleging he has committed that isn't in the public domain!

Quite right. You would probably get away with calling them a 'killer' if you wanted to as that is factually accurate, but murder means it was pre-meditated, and it wasn't. Highly libellous. The chances of Lee Hughes doing anything about some idiot on a message board are almost zero, but mods fully justified in removing to be on the safe side.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I suggest you ask the mods to remove this post.
Instead of suggesting he contacts the mods, you could just report the post. Now the mods need to edit the original post, and all the ones quoting it. I've reported it, so the mods can change it if they want to.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Quite right. You would probably get away with calling them a 'killer' if you wanted to as that is factually accurate, but murder means it was pre-meditated
No it doesn't, that would be pre-meditated murder. Murder can be spontaneous.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Jesus, now the Oldham chairman's quit. The casualties are stacking up...

He leaves a nasty trail of carnage wherever he goes. Why doesn't he do everyone a favour and just **** off somewhere out of sight?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
No it doesn't, that would be pre-meditated murder. Murder can be spontaneous.

In the vast majority of murder cases, pre-meditation or intent is involved. In a very few situations, it isn't. And 'spontaneous murder' as you call it would normally be manslaughter.

Pre-meditated murder sounds like an American term to me, where it is different.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports