Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ched Evans

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Then have him cleared before allowing him to have any involvement with the club.

This. Rightly or wrongly he is basically toxic until that time, and the latest developments (more PR) make this worse. Not a hope in hell a self-styled community club could or would take him on until then, and probably not even after.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
At this point yes, I'm choosing to believe that they were; based on the current decision, and the fact a panel of 3 judges didn't grant an appeal. There is no vindication of any doubt just because the CCRC have it, until they return their review.

You seem to be confusing me with someone who believes his conviction can't be wrong. I've never said that. All I've argued is that to strongly believe he has been wrongly convicted at this stage appears to go against a jury and a panel of appeal judges. I don't see how any of us not involved in the case, or have access to something withheld, can have the expertise to hold a belief that both those systems got it wrong to this point. I've not said that there isn't possibility they could have, but to just hold a belief they've got it wrong based only on what you've read just seems a strange way of coming to a decision that only serves to exonerate a convicted rapist, and effectively apportions blame to a victim.

Well now you are putting words into my mouth. I have never said I strongly believe they are wrong, just that there seems to be evidence that puts doubt in the conviction, the main one being her contention that she can't remember anything and was basically paralytic yet video evidence shows her walking through the lobby of the hotel.

We'll just have to wait and see whether the CCRC refers it to the appeals court!

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
I havent read the whole thread, but this is what I think. He was convicted of rape and has served his prison sentence. Therefore he has paid his dues for his crime to society. In my opinion he should be able to carry on his career without prejudice. He has the right to protest his innocence if he wants as others have the right to say he was found guitly and served his time for the crime. If he was a painter or decorator I am sure he would be able to carry on doing that so why all the fuss? I personally would have no issue with him signing for the Albion or whoever he wants to play for. Rightly or wrongly he is now a free man and should be able to carry on in his career if he can find work.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
picture the scenario......you flick through yellow pages or google decorators in your area. You find a highly recommended one, he does an estimate, you visit previous clients to confirm his work and decide to go with him. You arrange the date for him to come and do the job, fortunately your wife is off then, so can be around the house whilst he works........after he's done the work, you read in the paper that he has previous for sexual assault/rape and was recently released from prison.........what's the difference ?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
picture the scenario......you flick through yellow pages or google decorators in your area. You find a highly recommended one, he does an estimate, you visit previous clients to confirm his work and decide to go with him. You arrange the date for him to come and do the job, fortunately your wife is off then, so can be around the house whilst he works........after he's done the work, you read in the paper that he has previous for sexual assault/rape and was recently released from prison.........what's the difference ?

Not sure the point you're making. Are you saying that you think he should be allowed to train with Sheffield or not. Once your decorator has done the work are you happy with the finish or not.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Not sure the point you're making. Are you saying that you think he should be allowed to train with Sheffield or not. Once your decorator has done the work are you happy with the finish or not.

Where does the wife fit into this metaphor!?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It may be quicker to list the similarities.

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
I havent read the whole thread, but this is what I think. He was convicted of rape and has served his prison sentence.

No, he hasn't. He is part of the way through his sentence and has been released on license. He is on parole. Which is an extraordinary thing as he still denies his guilt, so quite how he is engaging with rehabilitation is a complete mystery.

And for United to sign him up would be to send a clear message that a team's performance is more important than rape.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
No, he hasn't. He is part of the way through his sentence and has been released on license. He is on parole. Which is an extraordinary thing as he still denies his guilt, so quite how he is engaging with rehabilitation is a complete mystery.

And for United to sign him up would be to send a clear message that a team's performance is more important than rape.

I understand he has always denied his guilty and is appealing. In his mind perhaps he doesnt need rehabilitation? I dont see why if he is released from prison why he cannot resume his career.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I understand he has always denied his guilty and is appealing. In his mind perhaps he doesnt need rehabilitation? I dont see why if he is released from prison why he cannot resume his career.

You know not everyone can resume their career after a prison term. Many professions with their own codes of conduct will not allow a convicted criminal to return to their registers. You seem to be suggesting anyone who serves in prison can just return to their previous career's, but many cannot actually do that.

I think my point in all this is that the FA are there to protect a game that exists for the entertainment of fans pure and simple. It is a product that is sold worldwide, with huge investment and as a professional you sign up to a code of conduct that you should adhere to otherwise you harm the very profession that supports you - which Evans has undoubtedly done.

Now I accept the FA can't retrospectively introduce anything new to their code now, but it would be in line with many other professions to exclude a person following a criminal conviction. This doesn't have to be indefinitely, but given the FA can introduce bans for a variety of issues such as racism, drug abuse, gambling etc. that don't require the courts (think Cantona, Suarez etc.) they should be able to address their members bringing shame on themselves and their profession.

The FA for example could stipulate that regardless of any early release, any player convicted will be banned from all football for their full sentence. They could also require a player to serve some kind of community service / grassroots help to integrate them back into football (obviously not working with the young or vulnerable), but I'd have them helping the ground staff at the local recreation ground pitches for example, cutting the grass, marking out - a bit of a reality check if you like and a reminder of how lucky they are to have the gift of playing football for a living. If they can complete that service for a period, then perhaps we as supporters can feel they've 'earned' their right to entertain us again.

I just think walking out a convicted rapist straight back into professional football is not something the FA should be endorsing and should be protecting against.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I think the John Nicholson POV is correct, he should be able to return to football but no club should employ him

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I think the John Nicholson POV is correct, he should be able to return to football but no club should employ him

This. The FA/FL/PFA all seem to lack a "disrupt" clause that would be triggered (as none seem to want to invoke one), so Ched can resume his membership of the PFA immediately. However, he is required to declare his previous conviction to prospective employers until such time as it is spent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act. Until that time, his prospective employers can make a decision as to whether the wish to employ him given his declared past.

Any chairman/owner making him a job offer should be subject to a review under the "fit and proper" regulations for ownership as they clearly aren't!

Once he has paid is debt (which includes the full period of disclosure of his crime) then and only then should he be allowed to return to the pro game.

His contract with Sheff Utd had expired while he was in prison. They had/have no obligation to let him train. Accepting him back to train is as bad as giving him a new contract. I hope the club collapse under the pressure of sponsor and fans walking away over this.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
This. The FA/FL/PFA all seem to lack a "disrupt" clause that would be triggered (as none seem to want to invoke one), so Ched can resume his membership of the PFA immediately. However, he is required to declare his previous conviction to prospective employers until such time as it is spent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act. Until that time, his prospective employers can make a decision as to whether the wish to employ him given his declared past.

Once he has paid is debt (which includes the full period of disclosure of his crime) then and only then should he be allowed to return to the pro game.

His contract with Sheff Utd had expired while he was in prison. They had/have no obligation to let him train. Accepting him back to train is as bad as giving him a new contract. I hope the club collapse under the pressure of sponsor and fans walking away over this.

Under the ROA his sentence is spent:
Where in respect of a conviction a person has been sentenced to imprisonment with an order under s. 47(1) of the M1Criminal Law Act 1977, he is to be treated for the purposes of subsection (2) above as having served the sentence as soon as he completes service of so much of the sentence as was by that order required to be served in prison.]

Under the ROA any club that does not employ him as a result of his conviction can be sued under that act.

a conviction which has become spent or any circumstances ancillary thereto, or any failure to disclose a spent conviction or any such circumstances, shall not be a proper ground for dismissing or excluding a person from any office, profession, occupation or employment, or for prejudicing him in any way in any occupation or employment.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
i suppose you signed the petition to not allow Marlon King, Luke Mcormack, and Lee Hughes to never allow them to play football again?

imho what Hughes did was far worse, and it is

so why not the public outcry

But there was a huge public and media outcry over what Lee Hughes did. Its more noticeable this this round because of the huge increase in social media, etc since Hughes committed his crime, though.

There are important differences between the two cases though. Hughes admitted his guilt, and has shown contrition / remorse - these are not abstract ideals, btw - they are basic tenets of our penal / rehabilitation systems.

As [MENTION=21414]Del Fenner[/MENTION] has mentioned above, the most basic understanding of the law, suggests that having been found guilty, and having shown no remorse, Evans should not even be out on license, let alone back playing football.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Under the ROA his sentence is spent:
Where in respect of a conviction a person has been sentenced to imprisonment with an order under s. 47(1) of the M1Criminal Law Act 1977, he is to be treated for the purposes of subsection (2) above as having served the sentence as soon as he completes service of so much of the sentence as was by that order required to be served in prison.]

Under the ROA any club that does not employ him as a result of his conviction can be sued under that act.

a conviction which has become spent or any circumstances ancillary thereto, or any failure to disclose a spent conviction or any such circumstances, shall not be a proper ground for dismissing or excluding a person from any office, profession, occupation or employment, or for prejudicing him in any way in any occupation or employment.

You don't understand the law you are quoting.

A sentence being 'served' and being 'spent' are two VERY different things.

After reading this thread in it's entirety, I have come to the conclusion that Convicted Rapist Ched Evans is in fact the victim.

Carry on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here