Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ched Evans

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Not if the young women in question was compliant in the act, and only as drunk as the evidence of her alcohol intake would suggest, how she, as an experienced drinker, had complete alcoholic amnesia after only the equivalent of five pints, I struggle to understand. The term beyond reasonable doubt, doesn't seem to have been applied in this case. Having said all that, I agree with you, his behaviour was vile, even if it wasnt rape, but worth a five stretch? I'm not sure.

Agree with this. He alleges he had consensual sex with someone he hadn't met before. Is that something that is very rare? Have a look at a few of these club 18-30 documentaries and it may seem quiet common within a certain sector of society! I'm not condoning what he did but he didn't beat her up, he didn't sleep with a kid. Might not be to our standards of behaviour but not sure I would describe it as vile (again, assuming that everything was consensual).

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Totally agree - with every single sentiment within that post, it's what I touched upon too. I don't want to involve myself in further debate on this issue, it's fairly uncomfortable do to so to be honest, but I wanted to make my feelings clear. Long ago when I was at university, I helped a extremely drunk girl - who was surprisingly interested in me! get home safe with her friends from a club. She could barely stand by the end of the night. That is what any man worthy of a being called a decent chap should always do in similar circumstances, not take advantage to his own sordid ends. In my opinion what he did has no real decent defence, what he involved himself in was horrendous, and if anyone considers it a 'risky' yet acceptable night out, well I for one find that deeply disturbing.

Kosh

She got in a cab with someone she had only just met with the purpose of having sex! Welcome to the 21st Century, equality and all that!!!!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Having said all that, I agree with you, his behaviour was vile, even if it wasnt rape, but worth a five stretch? I'm not sure.

I've passed no comment on the sentence. Not having heard all the evidence, I wouldn't feel qualified to. I've only commented on his behaviour, and his lack of remorse for it.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
As an aside, when I was in a Freemantle on the Ark Royal an Aussie girl took on 27 sailors, one after another, and , no I wasn't one of the 27

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
I've passed no comment on the sentence. Not having heard all the evidence, I wouldn't feel qualified to. I've only commented on his behaviour, and his lack of remorse for it.

Why should he apologise for his 'behaviour' and why should he show 'remorse' when he is protesting his innocence? Amazing isn't it how the 'victim' remembers consenting to sex with McDonald but can't remember consenting to sex with Evans. Sounds like strong grounds for an appeal to me.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Why should he apologise for his 'behaviour' and why should he show 'remorse' when he is protesting his innocence?

He should apologise for his behaviour, and show remorse, because if he had a shred of decency he would recognise that his actions were horrible.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Why should he apologise for his 'behaviour' and why should he show 'remorse' when he is protesting his innocence? Amazing isn't it how the 'victim' remembers consenting to sex with McDonald but can't remember consenting to sex with Evans. Sounds like strong grounds for an appeal to me.

The girl remembers neither. She did not make a complaint to the police regarding any sexual activity either. The police only got involved because she thought her handbag had been stolen and that her drink might have been spiked.

As it turns out she'd left her handbag in the kebab shop and tests showed that she hadn't been drugged. The charge of rape only arose because the two accused mentioned having sex with her when questioned about how she'd ended up in the Premier Inn.

Whether or not I approve of the accused's activities in that room is irrelevant but it strikes me that if they believed they'd done anything wrong they wouldn't have been so open in their statements and there would never have been an accusation of rape.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Agree with this. He alleges he had consensual sex with someone he hadn't met before. Is that something that is very rare? Have a look at a few of these club 18-30 documentaries and it may seem quiet common within a certain sector of society! I'm not condoning what he did but he didn't beat her up, he didn't sleep with a kid. Might not be to our standards of behaviour but not sure I would describe it as vile (again, assuming that everything was consensual).

I'm with you. Having a few drinks and having casual sex with a consenting stranger, who's also had a few drinks, may go against some religious or outdated moral code, but is certainly not vile behaviour; it's what adults do when following their biological urges. Some of what's written makes out as if women don't like sex; well here's some news for you: They love it just as much as men. Many have a voracious sexual appetite. I think that most blokes who've lived a single life for any amount of time (and possibly those that haven't) will have received offers of one off no-strings sex.

He did cheat on his missis, and whilst I think that anyone who takes a cheating partner back is a fool, that's for her to deal with. There are not many people who've never cheated on any partner ever, so I find the self-righteousness of some posts here slightly nauseating.

To conclude, if he believes that she consented and is therefore innocent, then he can't be expected to apologise for anything while the appeal process is ingoing.

Barry Stir

Nov 3, 2009
....but he didn't have sex with a 'consenting' stranger! The jury, who heard all of the evidence, acquitted the man with whom she returned to the hotel but convicted Evans after he turned up part way through what was going on. The difference between the two verdicts is perfectly understandable. This isn't a moral indiscretion this is rape.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
....but he didn't have sex with a 'consenting' stranger! The jury, who heard all of the evidence, acquitted the man with whom she returned to the hotel but convicted Evans after he turned up part way through what was going on. The difference between the two verdicts is perfectly understandable. This isn't a moral indiscretion this is rape.
What I don't understand is that if she is having sex with two people in one room, and one is considered to be raping her, does that not make the other an accomplice?

Barry Stir

Nov 3, 2009
It might do in certain cases but in this particular example, Clayton McDonald had left the room when Evans was having sex with victim.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

That's true, but his right to maintain his innocence and appeal is being exercised, in which case it would be insincere to apologise and show remorse. My point was that some here think he should apologise even if he was innocent of the rape conviction, just because of the fact that he had no-strings sex.

Barry Stir

Nov 3, 2009
I agree. It would be an unusual defendant indeed, who apologised for his crime whilst pursuing an appeal against his conviction. However, for him, unless and until he does, the outrage about the offence and his reintegration into normal life, will be the overwhelming feeling for most people.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It might do in certain cases but in this particular example, Clayton McDonald had left the room when Evans was having sex with victim.

Had he? Thought that he was there at the start at the very least. Also, can you explain how a person with no recollection of anything after leaving the nightclub other than a vague memory of a kebab shop was deemed to have consented to macdonald when in reality she may have thought he was being a 'decent chap' and putting her in a cab and seeing her home. The point is that surely there is enough doubt.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I agree. It would be an unusual defendant indeed, who apologised for his crime whilst pursuing an appeal against his conviction. However, for him, unless and until he does, the outrage about the offence and his reintegration into normal life, will be the overwhelming feeling for most people.

Unless of course he has a successful review of the case!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here