Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ched Evans

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
This is a tricky question facing our society today.
The man faced a court for a criminal offence. The court (our representatives qualified to vent our moral outrage) gave their sentence: imprisonment, loss of liberty.
Now, does society have the right to punish them further by denying them employment that seems to give them a decent wage?
.............discuss further, maybe I should put it up as a poll question.

It's not about denying employment. It's specific employment. Women and children in the crowd, some of who may have been sexually abused or raped, is it right that he is allowed to carry on playing in front of them?

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
If players such as Luke McCormack and Marlon King can play again, why shouldn't he play?

Marlon King shouldn't have played again and I would have been equally disgusted if the Albion had signed him.

May 27, 2014
Not in a million years. It would literally be the worst thing the club had ever done if they went down that road. I'd rather play with 10 players every week than sign him. Thankfully I think the club have got too much class to even entertain it.

Ha! What colour is it in your world?

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
He's a 1 in 3, if not better, striker with potential. If not for the conviction, he would be considered a brilliant signing.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Have to say that whilst he was found guilty, the website referred to does raise quite a few issues about the case. However, until he is cleared, we should stay clear. I suspect there will be a few bedwetters who would take anyone though.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
He's a 1 in 3, if not better, striker with potential. If not for the conviction, he would be considered a brilliant signing.

Maybe, but he is a convicted rapist. Imagine he scored 30 goals a season for the Albion, would you want your kids idolising him? Would you want him becoming an Albion legend? What would you say to any Albion fan who'd ever been raped, "Get over it's in the past and he's just scored 30 goals for us." Of course you wouldn't.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
What is it with footballers and their obsession with spit roasting people? I don't wanna see another man's pee pee or even body for that matter when I'm getting my freak on.

Gross.

On that website quoted, it seems Ched engaged in oral sex on the complainant, after Clayton had done his stuff.

Double gross.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
It's not about denying employment. It's specific employment. Women and children in the crowd, some of who may have been sexually abused or raped, is it right that he is allowed to carry on playing in front of them?

Everywhere you go is in habited by women and children, some of whom may have been sexually abused, no? Therefore your point is not communicated very well, in my humble opinion. Expand your point please. Should we put him in a closed community again away from all society then or just banish him from a football ground?

This was a much more reasoned argument from another poster Braggfan:

Maybe, but he is a convicted rapist. Imagine he scored 30 goals a season for the Albion, would you want your kids idolising him? Would you want him becoming an Albion legend? What would you say to any Albion fan who'd ever been raped, "Get over it's in the past and he's just scored 30 goals for us." Of course you wouldn't.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Of all the clubs in the FL, I believe that we are the most inclusive of all... Children-Friendly, Gay-Friendly, Female-Friendly, etc ad infinitum for any section of our local society.

I have read his supporters' website and read bits and pieces on his trial and appeal in the mainstream press, but I will be persuaded by the evidence presented so far in court and presume, as they did, that he was guilty.

There is a Rehabilitation of Offenders Act and at some future date, he has the right to have his past mistakes forgotten - this is good and right. But not yet.

This club would do irreparable harm to its reputation to take him on (as would most other clubs). Some have no such reputation to tarnish and so I'm sure he will play somewhere but I wish it wasn't the case.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
He is a rapist and violated someone, he shouldn't be aloud to play football and earn thousands a week

So, rehabilitation, payed debt to society, changed man......

Nevermind eh, maybe he can start work as a late night minicab driver, would that you make you feel safe when your family are waiting for a cab home, at least he won't be playing football.

Ex cons, hang em all eh.

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham

I would teach my kids that we live in a society whereby if you do a serious crime you will be caught, tried and punished according to the laws laid down by said society. Once you have done your punishment, you will then have to prove yourself to society once again. There will be people, rightly or wrongly, who will never ever forgive your crime. That is their absolute right.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Everywhere you go is in habited by women and children, some of whom may have been sexually abused, no? Therefore your point is not communicated very well, in my humble opinion. Expand your point please. Should we put him in a closed community again away from all society then or just banish him from a football ground?

No, he should not be banished from society under the present law. As said, restricted employment opportunities akin to child sex offenders.

But, he shouldn't really be allowed in society at all. The law/punishment is a joke for sexual crimes.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
You can get banned for life from sport for taking drugs or match fixing, but you can seemingly come back if you rape someone. Surely this cannot be right?

Taking drugs banned by sporting governing bodies or match-fixing are breaches of the rules or laws of those sports. It's beyond their remit to start banning people for things outside the sporting arena (in the loosest sense).

In case you don't agree, let me put an image in your mind that I'm sure will convince you: Sepp Blatter deciding on the rights and wrongs of banning a player guilty of rape.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here