Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ched Evans

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I really struggle to reconcile the girlfriend's standpoint, with all I've read about the case.

"All he's guilty of is cheating on me"

Oh, well that's okay then. I'm not sure my wife would take that view, if I indulged in a night of twos-up with one of my mates and a drunk girl. If the gf had any self-respect she'd have run a mile, consensual or not.

Fair enough, but you don't get a five stretch for cheating on a girlfriend. The young lady(?)who was apparently raped, sounds like definate Jeremy Kyle fodder, urinating in the street, too drunk to remember what happened, drug traces in her system, lying in court, and agreeing to sleep with a bloke within minutes of meeting him. I don't think anyone comes out of this with any credit, the Judge, the prosecution, thedefence, the OB, the defendants, and the victim, and the night porter earwigging at the door( perving?)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Out of interest, what do you see as the other salient points?

I just saw it as a compiling of evidence that proved greater than just a case of he said she said. Text messages, booking of hotel rooms, intent, friends in on it, stories between the defendants not corroborating each other, testimony of witnesses. It's the aggregate total of evidence rather than simplifying down to suggesting it's merely a victims word against a defendants.

Even down to the moment McDonald was cleared in court and the two of them butted heads in court, this is genuinely a case of one horrible arrogant individual that frankly I don't believe should ever be allowed to grace a football pitch again. He had everything at his feet and he blew it.

I'd have a new rule from the FA and PFA, if you're excluded in anyway from being able to coach kids football (CRB checks…), then you're not allowed to play in the professional game. Simple as that.

What is the big FA agenda - RESPECT. Evans has none and doesn't deserve to be part of our game.

He deserves his freedom back, his life, but he can join the job queue like everyone else.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Not for us, thank you very much.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
If TB was to sign him would 20 goals change peoples attitudes towards him.

No.

There are limits to what people will support. Like many others, there is no way that I could go and support a team with a convicted rapist playing in it.

Bloody Hell, BG. Really? You think people judge their moral compass by whether a player scores goals or not?

Are you that shallow?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Fair enough, but you don't get a five stretch for cheating on a girlfriend. The young lady(?)who was apparently raped, sounds like definate Jeremy Kyle fodder, urinating in the street, too drunk to remember what happened, drug traces in her system, lying in court, and agreeing to sleep with a bloke within minutes of meeting him. I don't think anyone comes out of this with any credit, the Judge, the prosecution, thedefence, the OB, the defendants, and the victim, and the night porter earwigging at the door( perving?)

You know what though Lawro, for some reason, perhaps my own honesty and moral compass, but I'd expect and would assume 99% of us to make sure she got home safe in that state, not to take advantage.

Everything you say to describe her actions and her state of mind would only serve to reinforce my opinion of what a couple of scumbags these two are and that Evans got just what he deserved. No state of a women ever justifies taking advantage of her. They just treated her like a piece of meat. Awful. I can't believe he is still protesting his innocence. A glimmer of contrition even would show some sense of what an appalling way to behave it was, even if he ultimately doesn't believe the rape charge was fair, it was nonetheless despicable behaviour.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
No.

There are limits to what people will support. Like many others, there is no way that I could go and support a team with a convicted rapist playing in it.

Bloody Hell, BG. Really? You think people judge their moral compass by whether a player scores goals or not?

Are you that shallow?

Oldham fans cheered Lee Hughes and he killed someone.

Just saying.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Oldham fans cheered Lee Hughes and he killed someone.

Just saying.

I'm just surprised the FA and PFA are allowing this to happen.

Playing football at the professional level should be seen as an absolute privilege, you are ambassadors of the game, you should adhere to a code of conduct the protects the integrity and reputation of the sport. If you can't then you are simply excluded from playing.

The likes of Lee Hughes, Luke McCormick, Ched Evans should never be allowed to grace a professional football pitch again. They had their chances and they blew it.

This isn't about the the law, this is about what football wants to say about itself. There are many many professions that just wouldn't let this happen. Football it just seems like anything goes. I'm sick of it. You can play a game you love, get paid more in a year than the vast majority get in a lifetime and yet you can kill some kids driving drunk and walk back into the game. It ****ing stinks.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Apologies if this has been posted before (I haven't read the whole thread), but I thought that in order to be released after half your sentence you have to admit guilt and show remorse. Since he has done neither, how come he's out?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
If TB was to sign him would 20 goals change peoples attitudes towards him.
No - if possible it would make it worse by showing we had absolutely no standards when signing anyone, other than greed and an unpalatable ambition over every other consideration.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
No.

Are you that shallow?

:thumbsup:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
You know what though Lawro, for some reason, perhaps my own honesty and moral compass, but I'd expect and would assume 99% of us to make sure she got home safe in that state, not to take advantage.

Everything you say to describe her actions and her state of mind would only serve to reinforce my opinion of what a couple of scumbags these two are and that Evans got just what he deserved. No state of a women ever justifies taking advantage of her. They just treated her like a piece of meat. Awful. I can't believe he is still protesting his innocence. A glimmer of contrition even would show some sense of what an appalling way to behave it was, even if he ultimately doesn't believe the rape charge was fair, it was nonetheless despicable behaviour.

As I said, nobody comes out of it with any credit.. I watched the cctv of the victim going into the hotel, she doesn't look that drunk, it may be deceptive though, the fact she made tweets to friends about what she would do with the compo, and then deleted them, and denied ever sending them,even though it was proved she had. I just think if Evans hadn't been a pro fiotballer it would never have made court, the evidence to me wasnt compelling.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm just surprised the FA and PFA are allowing this to happen.

Playing football at the professional level should be seen as an absolute privilege, you are ambassadors of the game, you should adhere to a code of conduct the protects the integrity and reputation of the sport. If you can't then you are simply excluded from playing.

The likes of Lee Hughes, Luke McCormick, Ched Evans should never be allowed to grace a professional football pitch again. They had their chances and they blew it.

This isn't about the the law, this is about what football wants to say about itself. There are many many professions that just wouldn't let this happen. Football it just seems like anything goes. I'm sick of it. You can play a game you love, get paid more in a year than the vast majority get in a lifetime and yet you can kill some kids driving drunk and walk back into the game. It ****ing stinks.

Why is playing sport a privilege? Is it any more a privilege than a gifted musician or actor? Is it because they can earn lots of money? Would a rich banker be allowed to go back into banking after being convicted?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Why is playing sport a privilege? Is it any more a privilege than a gifted musician or actor? Is it because they can earn lots of money? Would a rich banker be allowed to go back into banking after being convicted?

I never said it had anything to do with wealth.

Many people love football. Many people pay to watch it, many pay a lot to play it themselves, many volunteers give up their free time to make games happen, keeping local clubs afloat. It is something that is loved. I seem to remember it was once referred to as our national game. Therefore to earn your living from it, whether an average salary from the Conference, or the riches of the Premier League it is a privilege.

I fail to see how that concept is hard to grasp.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
No.

Are you that shallow?

Sheffield United obviously are, depressingly.

The only reason they are thinking of taking him back is because he's got a decent goalscoring track record. The moral compass just doesn't come into it. It would be nice if they made a stand but as with Hughes and McCormack there are enough clubs out there who willing to ignore past behaviour in favour of getting a few goals or making a couple of saves.

Scumbags though they both are, Hughes and McCormack did express remorse. Evans has shown none, which to my mind makes Sheffield United's behaviour even worse if they re sign him.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
As I said, nobody comes out of it with any credit.. I watched the cctv of the victim going into the hotel, she doesn't look that drunk, it may be deceptive though, the fact she made tweets to friends about what she would do with the compo, and then deleted them, and denied ever sending them,even though it was proved she had. I just think if Evans hadn't been a pro fiotballer it would never have made court, the evidence to me wasnt compelling.

I just think the FA and PFA need to work out what they are doing with a players code of conduct.

Like many other professions and trades, if you break that code of conduct, you can be excluded from that profession, struck off the register. Football has a right to protect it's integrity and reputation. If you sign up to their code of behaviour, then every part of your life should stand up to that scrutiny. No excuses, you represent the game whether 4am in the morning in a town centre nightclub, or 3pm on a Saturday afternoon.

Should the game really be allowing convicted rapists, murderers, drink drivers back in?

There are many other trades and professions where Evans would not be allowed to walk straight back in. They protect their integrity and reputation. From fireman, to doctors, to teachers, to architects, to accountants - they'd be struck off. I don't understand why football doesn't do the same.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Especially when that same jury don't consider another party to be guilty under what appears to be the exact same circumstances!

Except they were not the exact same circumstances.

One involved a guy meeting a woman in town, her getting in a taxi and going to a hotel with him, and when the two of them are alone, they have sex.

The other involved a guy making no prior arrangements with a woman, showing up in a hotel room where she is with another guy (as I read it, she stopped having sex with him when Ched arrived, but they may have, er, naturally come to a stop), then when she stops having sex with the guy she had, until then, been alone with he has sex with her while, if I read it right, the first guy is still in the room and some friends look in through the window.

This jury seemed to see that distinction and find that the first guy had, or reasonably assumed to have, her consent. They were alone, she willing went to a hotel room alone with him. Whereas it wasn't reasonable for the guy who showed up later without clear indication she was aware of him intending to join them to assume consent to sex with an audience.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here