Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ched Evans

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This is such a depressing thread, for so many reasons.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
That's a very big bit of news today. Can you imagine the fallout if he gets cleared on Appeal. Everything that has been said. All the campaigns to effectively make it impossible for him to work/play elsewhere...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That's a very big bit of news today. Can you imagine the fallout if he gets cleared on Appeal. Everything that has been said. All the campaigns to effectively make it impossible for him to work/play elsewhere...

Tbh, an awful lot of people were of the opinion that the guy is an absolute scrote, but accept that 'guilt' in this case is very much subjective.

If a different person / judge / court decides he's no longer guilty, on a point of law, it won't change his behavior, or their own subjective view on his 'guilt'.

(Apologies if that makes little sense - I know what I meant)

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004

Doesn't really affect all that has gone before - at the time he was (and still is at this stage) a convicted rapist.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Tbh, an awful lot of people were of the opinion that the guy is an absolute scrote, but accept that 'guilt' in this case is very much subjective.

If a different person / judge / court decides he's no longer guilty, on a point of law, it won't change his behavior, or their own subjective view on his 'guilt'.

(Apologies if that makes little sense - I know what I meant)
Think I know what you mean....regardless of the outcome, his behaviour on the night in question was pretty abhorrent.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Think I know what you mean....regardless of the outcome, his behaviour on the night in question was pretty abhorrent.

Indeed - if I were an employer who had chosen not to employ him at the time, or a fan who had campaigned for my club not to sign him, I'd be perfectly comfortable with my stance, based on that behaviour - regardless of any appeal.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Doesn't really affect all that has gone before - at the time he was (and still is at this stage) a convicted rapist.

You're right in the sense that he was and still is a convicted rapist at the time - so there wouldn't be any comeback on libel/defamation grounds or anything like that.

But not sure you can really claim it wouldn't affect all that has gone before. There has been more written about this, and very strong stuff (this thread being just one example), then most recent issues I can remember.

In a way I think it is a good thing that he has his day in the Appeal Court, because if he loses that then it is done and dusted for good and realistically he has nowhere else to go and no complaints.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Indeed - if I were an employer who had chosen not to employ him at the time, or a fan who had campaigned for my club not to sign him, I'd be perfectly comfortable with my stance, based on that behaviour - regardless of any appeal.

Obviously this is all hypothetical, but I don't know how you (not just you, anyone) could say that it made no difference whether he was or wasn't a convicted rapist. It is pretty fundamental.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Of course the outcome matters. If the conviction stands, he raped a woman; if it's quashed, he had consensual sex with woman who seemingly regretted it the following day (we've all been there). Slight difference.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Personally I'm quite pleased that this is being appealed. Ultimately, if they turn down the appeal I think we can categorically say he is a rapist. Until this appeal is heard, there is a nagging doubt about his conviction I think (although I'm really not disputing that his behaviour has been pretty disgusting regardless).

Obviously this is all hypothetical, but I don't know how you (not just you, anyone) could say that it made no difference whether he was or wasn't a convicted rapist. It is pretty fundamental.
Absolutely right. HKFC makes a good point that regardless of the outcome, potential employees can feel comfortable about their decision not to recruit him. But ultimately, if he didn't rape her, it needs to quashed. That bit is of great relevance to the world at large.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

I'm not suggesting it 'makes no difference'. Of course it does.

What I'm saying is that I personally think he is a scrote (based entirely on HIS account of the night), and would still not wish to employ him, or see him at a club I support, regardless of his guilt in the eyes of the law.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If a different person / judge / court decides he's no longer guilty, on a point of law
Wo, hold on a minute. If he's found guilty (again), then he's guilt of rape, and will be forever known as a rapist. If he's found innocent, then he's not 'no longer guilty', he never was guilty, he was simply wrongly convicted. And where does 'point of law' come into it? You're prejudging a trial that hasn't occurred. He may have been granted the appeal on a point of law, but IF he's found not guilty, then that's not a point of law.

it won't change his behavior, or their own subjective view on his 'guilt'.
The guy's a complete shit, but unfortunately, there are plenty of them about, and plenty in football too. That, however, is very different to being a rapist.

Of course the outcome matters. If the conviction stands, he raped a woman; if it's quashed, he had consensual sex with woman who seemingly regretted it the following day (we've all been there).
That's not quite true. If it's quashed, then it's not beyond doubt that he raped her. It's unlikely to be the case that they prove it was consensual.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

What I'm saying is that I personally think he is a scrote (based entirely on HIS account of the night), and would still not wish to employ him, or see him at a club I support, regardless of his guilt in the eyes of the law.

This.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

I can understand that viewpoint, I'm sure you wouldn't be alone. There might be some employment law issues about refusing to hire a 'free man' with legally no stain on his reputation if he was cleared on appeal, but we're a long way from that yet. Certainly going to be huge interest in those proceedings.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

The fact that he cheated on his girlfriend is not for us to judge him on. That's between him and her, and she's clearly forgiven him.

Other than that, IF he's cleared, then all he did was have casual sex with a woman - something that 1000s of men and women do every weekend when a few drinks have lowered inhibitions.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The fact that he cheated on his girlfriend is not for us to judge him on. That's between him and her, and she's clearly forgiven him.

Other than that, IF he's cleared, then all we know he did was have casual sex with a woman - something that 1000s of men and women do every weekend when a few drinks have lowered inhibitions.
Edited

IF he's cleared, we'll still never know how involved the girl was. She could have been anything from unconscious to clearly wanting to have sex.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here