Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Charlton game to kick off at 15:07-Hillsborough 25th anniversary

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
There were NO fans without tickets. That has been proved beyond reasonable doubt. They were herded into one area instead of three. That has been proved too.

Other events have nothing to do with this.

Please tell how you prove that everybody had a ticket ? No one will admit to that. But there was a culture at the time of turning up en masse without tickets. I'm just not having it that it was 100% the authorities fault. They have justice now, just hope they are not going for any compensation seeing as they said at the beginning that it wasn't about that ?!

A final point is I have respect and have respected the 96 that died that day I just don't like the forced hand wringing we have to do.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I think this is a fine memorial. As football fans (especially those of us who experienced the conditions at the time) we should remember those who died, and appreciate how we can prevent this tragedy happening again.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
My point being that we get made to do these silences when other tragedies haven't been given the same respect.

Is a more reasonable question and I think there are 2 main reasons

1.) The ongoing fight for justice as a result of the cover up
2.) The fact it was broadcast live on the BBC. I remember watching it unfold as an 8 year old, which has always given me a more personal attachment to it. Rightly or wrongly.

Your "whingeing scoucers" routine is pretty offensive in this context. If you had bothered to take the time to read the most recent report you would realise that they have plenty to be upset about.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
People turned up pissed , late and some without tickets that is a big reason this tragedy happened. The aggresion outside was also a factor. King of the jibbers across europe and they are proud of this reputation. Or it was the police fault !

Do you work for South Yorkshire police?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Please tell how you prove that everybody had a ticket ? No one will admit to that. But there was a culture at the time of turning up en masse without tickets. I'm just not having it that it was 100% the authorities fault. They have justice now, just hope they are not going for any compensation seeing as they said at the beginning that it wasn't about that ?!

A final point is I have respect and have respected the 96 that died that day I just don't like the forced hand wringing we have to do.

You don't have to do any hand wringing.
The number of fans that turned up did not exceed the number of tickets sold.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I think it is a good thing to mark an anniversary where 96 people went to watch a game of football and never should have died.

thats ok, but why aren't other disasters remembered? I don't recall anything 4 years ago marking the Bradford City fire. (maybe there was and i missed it)

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
thats ok, but why aren't other disasters remembered? I don't recall anything 4 years ago marking the Bradford City fire. (maybe there was and i missed it)

Maybe the Bradford fans weren't treated so disgustingly by the Police, The Media and the Government? They haven't had a 25 year fight to show exactly who was to blame for their loved ones going to a football match and being killed by the actions of police officers who then fiddled accounts of what happened. Senior police lying at every level trying to place the blame on the innocents tends to galvanise people's resolve to make sure the 96 deaths aren't forgotten.

The 2 are not remotely linked apart from tragic deaths of football fans. Remember the actions of the police, The Scum and Thatcher and her ministers for what they were-an opportunity to pillory football fans with no compassion whatsoever.

Meanwhile, the bar stewards who corrupted the records are all enjoying full pensions at our expense.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Well this thread is a nice snapshot of NSC isn't it?

96 people went to a match and died there, an utterly horrific state of affairs. As football fans (which I'm assuming most on here are) that should really be enough for it to be taken maybe a little bit more seriously than other things on the board.

Instead, you've got the expected (and completely correct) respectful posts mixed with a nice batch of 'look how much I don't care' entries, a few political ones and the, sadly unsurprisingly, token callous ones.

It's amazing the de-humanising effect being behind a keyboard can have on some people...anyway, as to the actual event, it's a nice touch, makes it stand out over the normal minute silence, as it should.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The 2 are not remotely linked apart from tragic deaths of football fans.

thats a fairly significant link though. your post makes it sound like a political protest, rather than a memorial.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
thats a fairly significant link though. your post makes it sound like a political protest, rather than a memorial.

Not at all. It is a culmination of 25 years of anguish and anger. I agree the deaths are linked-by deaths of innocent football fans who never made it home. There the similarities end.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Please tell how you prove that everybody had a ticket ?

No need it's already been done.

What's quite interesting (and I mean that in all respect to the victims and families) is that although important parts of the story were never fully investigated certain parts very much were and are not subject to "debate".

The ticket less fans theory was something that came out in the initial media frenzy, but it was quickly discounted.

The health and safety inspectorate at the time painstakingly counted the fans entering the stadium from the CCTV available. Compared to the tickets sold any difference was insignificant. In fact tickets were still available on the day.

Your theory only holds truth if hundreds of Liverpool fans bought a ticket and then decided to stay in Liverpool. This was offset by hundreds turning up without. An interesting theory.......

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here