Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Charlie Oatway interview

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Was just reading it myself, and about to post. Always liked Oatway as a player, and rate him even more as a person now.
I am sure there was a recent Harty interview as well covering a lot of this ground as well

That reminds me. Does he no longer do the interviews

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Hmm, quite a bit of airbrushing of history by Charlie here since he first went public about his literacy issues (in The Times) in 2004. He omits to mention that when he "sought [Alan] Sanders' advice", it was when Sanders was working for Albion In The Community and that he first began to learn to read in the community programme of the club he was captaining - in the Withdean portakabins. But then I suppose both he and Alan feel rather bitter about the way the club treated them so wouldn't want to mention the Albion.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/oatway-proving-he-has-the-write-stuff-pjl2p80l9lt

Agreed. The only way that Charlie said he would ever grace the doors of the Amex again,was if Gus was reinstated.

Something that we all know will never happen.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
That reminds me. Does he no longer do the interviews

I honestly don't know how many people would be interested in them anymore. There is a sizeable minority of Albion fans who have only really supported the club during the Premier League years, and although they will know the name Charlie Oatway probably have no real idea, or interest in in anything that went on at the club beforehand.

twowheelsbest

Nov 1, 2009
Brighton
Really interesting interview from someone who has always been very open and frank about his past and family connections. Always loved Charlie in his playing days. He wrote a book some years ago about his illiteracy, that’s a good read too.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Am aware of the Oatway issue (apparently he has said he'll never go to The Amex again despite still living in the city) but what happened with Alan Sanders?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Alan and Steve Ford both left when former Amex apparatchik Michael Edwards took over. Official version below:

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/10206015.new-boss-takes-helm-at-albion-charity/

However, I was told at the time that neither Alan nor Steve had left of their own volition, and that some of those quotes in the Argus piece were, er, not exactly verbatim. Alan went on to work for Charlton's community scheme.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
He did loads of stuff with my kids football team and you couldn't meet a more down to earth honest bloke.
I also know his cousin who is a big lad !!!

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here