Charlie Livesey.......RIP

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cadman

Jul 7, 2003
What an excellent player. A good laugh too.

One of the greats

Nice piece on him in the Argus

Seagulls mourn popular Livesey
by Argus sports desk

Fans' favourite: Charlie Livesey played for Albion from 1965-1969 Former Albion favourite Charlie Livesey has died after a short illness aged 67.

One of the cleverest forwards to play for Albion since the Second World War, Charlie was not a prolific goalscorer but was certainly a popular player with the fans.

During four seasons with the Seagulls he was acknowledged as the club's most talented player.

His ability was such that England manager Alf Ramsey had him watched in the build-up to the World Cup finals in 1966 despite Albion being mid-table in the Third Division at the time.

Born in West Ham, Charlie went on to play in all four divisions of the Football League in a career spanning 329 League games and 106 goals.

After spells with Southampton, Chelsea, Gillingham, Watford and Northampton, he signed for Albion for a £7,000 fee in September 1965.

Over the next four years he made 146 appearances for the Seagulls, scoring 37 goals, before being released in April 1969.

After leaving Albion, he had a season at Crawley Town before finally hanging up his boots.

Long-time friend Peter Keene said: "He was a big man with a big heart and was everybody's favourite. He was a bit of a lad, very outgoing and very popular with the crowd."

Charlie died on Saturday at St Bartholomew's Hospital in London. He leaves wife Pat and three children.

RIP

(was)DBS

Jul 24, 2003
Southwick
RIP our thoughts are with the family

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Oh my God .... I really can't believe it ... he was my first real Albion hero and can't believe how old he was

Remember standing on the North Stand with the chant

Char la la la Liv---er---- seee

and

I'd go a million miles for one of your goals oh Charrrrleee

Brilliant attacking midfield/come forward and a real charismatic player

RIP Charlie ... you really were an Albion legend

livesey_small1.jpg

Last edited:

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Post script:
1965-66 season FA Cup 1st Round match against non-League Wisbech Town Charlie Livesey scored a hatrick in a 10-1 victory before a crowd of 12,508

Real memories of him with the ball at his feet driving forward at the opposition defence - can't compare him with any Albion player of recent years

stratford seagull

Jul 30, 2003
Swindon
I think he arrived at the Albion to replace Bobby Smith.

I can remember him scoring two in a Boxing Day match at the Goldstone against Watford - I think in the same season as that Wisbech game. One of them absolutely rocketed into the North goal and I can still remember it clearly to this day.

RIP

corrallt

Feb 14, 2004
Kent
time to reel out my own Charlie story. When we were kids me and my mate used to watch the team train under the old grandsatnd near the car park at the Goldstone. One day in the middle of a five-a-side match charlie handed us his car keys and asked us to get his fags from hos car. Whcih we did. And he had a quick smoke in the middle of training. hope we didn't contribute to his early demise. A true great. RIP

Waterhall Wizard

Only one PETER WARD
Oct 14, 2004
East of Brighton
On the Left Wing said:

Remember standing on the North Stand with the chant

Char la la la Liv---er---- seee

and

I'd go a million miles for one of your goals oh Charrrrleee

RIP Charlie ... you really were an Albion legend

livesey_small1.jpg

I have the same memories. How I used to enjoy joining in with
'Char- la- la- la =Liv- er =seee.

He was a great unsung Albion hero.

capone

Feb 7, 2004
Brighton
A true legend and one of my all time Albion favourites. I remember the car key story too mate. After training he'd always light up and walk along to the Mum and Dads cafe for a cuppa.

And I'll never forget one of his goals at Millwall, who were in the middle of their long unbeaten home run. We were 2-0 down, then Charlie hammered a swerving right footer past Alex Stepney, followed by a Wally Gould equaliser .. but Millwall stole the winner in the last minute to win 3-2.

Charlie just used to glide past opponents with apparently very little effort, a great player.

RIP.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
He scored some quality goals. A sad loss.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
RIP indeed, a sad loss.

Charlie Livesey was a class player. I was young when I first saw him but even then I could see that he had so much ability. I suppose I'm reaching the age when Albion players that I saw are going to start dying off. Bill Cassidy was the first, now Charlie.

Eheu! fugaces ... labuntur anni.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
SCR: Can somebody ring Norman Gall and ask him "if he scored more goals than Charlie Livesey?"

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
perseus said:
SCR: Can somebody ring Norman Gall and ask him "if he scored more goals than Charlie Livesey?"

Normam Gall
488 appearances
4 goals

Charlie Livesey
146 appearances
37 goals

:D

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Waterhall Wizard said:
I have the same memories. How I used to enjoy joining in with
'Char- la- la- la =Liv- er =seee.

He was a great unsung Albion hero.

He was the first "sung" hero. Nobody else had a song of his own at the time! (in the Albion team).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports