Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Charlie Hebdo - merged

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
you can't judge someone's opposition to an event based on whether they March or protest. I don't condemn Christians for not marching every time a Christian man goes into a school and kills children in America or when a working class family don't protest when more funding for institutions put in place to help those most in need get cut. Believe it or not you can condemn something without having to make a public spectacle. How many of us were against the war in Iraq but how many protested bavk in 2003?

About 1 million people in London, 3 million in Rome, 1 and half million in Madrid.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
So, what is the benefit of offending the millions of people of moderate Islam, to spite 2 extremists? Muslims will en masse condemn the actions of these 2, that doesn't mean they're not offended by the cartoons that. Let's have a mature, inclusive response.

Do you have a piece of paper?

Harry H

Comfortably numb.
Aug 11, 2010
Amazed that the Monty Python Team weren't assassinated after Life of Brian.
Or are Christians just more sensible than Muslims.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
About 1 million people in London, 3 million in Rome, 1 and half million in Madrid.

When I asked how many of us were marching I was talking about people on NSC. I can't imagine many people were pro war with Iraq and out of those of us who were anti what percentage actually protested? The point I'm getting it is just because you don't protest doesn't mean you condone it.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
When I asked how many of us were marching I was talking about people on NSC. I can't imagine many people were pro war with Iraq and out of those of us who were anti what percentage actually protested? The point I'm getting it is just because you don't protest doesn't mean you condone it.

Exactly. I was anti-war but I was up in Bradford having watched us beat them on an absolutely bitterly cold day

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton

Attachments

• Je Suis Charlie .jpg
    Je Suis Charlie .jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 434

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
The problem is this group want civil unrest, they want polarised opinions against Islam, they want idiots attacking innocent Muslims, we will, inevitably, play right into their hands. There will be huge civil unrest and the consequences are the breakdown of our civilised society, it may take 10, 20, 50 or 100 years but that's their aim and it will happen unless something significant changes such as Russia and China joining the will for a united civilised society.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I have never looked at the cartoons before because they are all in French but found some translated. Maybe my humour is lost on this but it looks like they are trying to be funny without actually being funny.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I have never looked at the cartoons before because they are all in French but found some translated. Maybe my humour is lost on this but it looks like they are trying to be funny without actually being funny.

Lots of them reference threats they had received, a previous fire bomb (love stronger than hate one) that destroyed the offices and cartoons that had been banned elsewhere. The clip does not discuss much about the background to the cartoons.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
The problem is this group want civil unrest, they want polarised opinions against Islam, they want idiots attacking innocent Muslims, we will, inevitably, play right into their hands. There will be huge civil unrest and the consequences are the breakdown of our civilised society, it may take 10, 20, 50 or 100 years but that's their aim and it will happen unless something significant changes such as Russia and China joining the will for a united civilised society.

Do you honestly think those people walking around shooting and chopping peoples heads off in the streets of western capitals have some kind of political strategy, they are beyond political manipulation they are brutally killing innocent people in the street, they left your position when the west passively looked on as their mosques were infiltrated years ago.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

I know what you were saying, but it is not hard to find footage of Muslims protesting, if it is a book, a cartoon, or dead soldiers bodies returning home, but their outrage at Lee Rigby killing, done in their name, was limited to tweets and facebook comments at most. In Crawley, the most vociferous condemnation from the mosque leaders in recent times was against the Parliamentary vote to allow British planes to attack ISIS forces, little comment about the congregation members convicted of terrorism or filmed blowing themselves up in suicide bombings in Iraq and Syria.
The recent beheadings of western Journalists and aid workers brought some condemnation from Muslims, until they beheaded an islam convert aid worker, at which point the condemnation was much fiercer.
I am not a bigot looking for reasons to hate on Muslims, but it seems to me that Muslims value Muslims, even terrorist ones, above non Muslims, and many have difficulty speaking out against a Muslim pursuing Islamist aims, even if it involves murder.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Do you honestly think those people walking around shooting and chopping peoples heads off in the streets of western capitals have some kind of political strategy, they are beyond political manipulation they are brutally killing innocent people in the street, they left your position when the west passively looked on as their mosques were infiltrated years ago.

I wouldnt call it a strategy as such, but they certainly have beliefs about what they want to achieve and a "holy war" in Europe would certainly be that. To spark unrest they start with these terrible attacks, state why they did it etc and then the anti-Islam bandwagon starts up, except in recent cases less and less.

When Lee Rigby was murdered, there was a monumental anti-Islam feeling in the UK and it seems to have died down a bit - and that is what they simply want. A holy war in Europe/The West.

Unfortunately though for these extremists - they wont win. Yes, there will be those who give the extremists what they want with the anti-Islam views - but there will always be a majority, much like those currently in Paris, who will show strength that this sort of extremism simply will not win and the strength and support being shown for free speech today/tonight certainly proves that whatever they want to achieve - they wont.

Also RE Muslims not "speaking out" - has anyone also ever not thought they might not be speaking out due to fear of reprisal ?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I wouldnt call it a strategy as such, but they certainly have beliefs about what they want to achieve and a "holy war" in Europe would certainly be that. To spark unrest they start with these terrible attacks, state why they did it etc and then the anti-Islam bandwagon starts up, except in recent cases less and less.

When Lee Rigby was murdered, there was a monumental anti-Islam feeling in the UK and it seems to have died down a bit - and that is what they simply want. A holy war in Europe/The West.

Unfortunately though for these extremists - they wont win. Yes, there will be those who give the extremists what they want with the anti-Islam views - but there will always be a majority, much like those currently in Paris, who will show strength that this sort of extremism simply will not win and the strength and support being shown for free speech today/tonight certainly proves that whatever they want to achieve - they wont.

They're at war, those killing people couldnt really careless about some trumped up strategy, they left that position one day during prayers years ago.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here