dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
A protester just attacked the leader and probably cost him the race.:angry:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
edit: upon seeing the incident, i can now state that it was truly a disgusting thing for someone to do.

To think that guy has been training his whole life for that one race and a chance of a gold medal at the olympics..ruined by some twat. The race should have been stopped.

Last edited:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
That's got to be a contender for a future "What happened next" for Sue Barker.:ohmy:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Our fella was 4th.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Brighton till i die said:
i dont think its f***ing funny that!

Nor do I, denoed someone a possible gold medal :angry: :angry:

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
It was a bit of a comedy moment as it wasn't one of ours but blimey any nutter / suicide bomber could have got on the course. Not good. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
He ran across the road, grabbed on to the Brazilian and dragged him into the crowd.:nono:

Percy Tantrums

Jul 14, 2003
Brighton
I think I might know who the fellow is. Wasn't he the fellow who ran across the Silvertone track during the F1 race last year? If so I think I might know something about him

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Percy Tantrums said:
I think I might know who the fellow is. Wasn't he the fellow who ran across the Silvertone track during the F1 race last year? If so I think I might know something about him

Wasn't he a vicar or something?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
from bbc

Protester ruins marathon

Men's marathon as it happened
Italy's Stefano Baldini took gold in the men's marathon, but his victory was overshadowed after one of the runners was attacked by a protester.
Brazilian Vanderlei de Lima had been leading the race by a comfortable margin before the protester appeared four miles from the finish.

Soon afterwards, Baldini overtook de Lima to win with a new Olympic record in a time of two hours 10:54 secs.

USA's Mebrahtom Keflezighi took silver while De Lima finished with bronze.

The protester was immediately arrested and taken to a police station, but there was no further details about the man's name or nationality.

Great Britain's Jon Brown suffered further Olympic misery when he repeated his fourth place in Sydney four years earlier after clocking a time of two hours 12:26 secs.

A slow pace was set in the early stages in the hot temperatures before Hendrick Ramaala decided to break clear at the 10-mile mark.

But it proved too early for the South African who dropped well behind as the field caught him and then de Lima went alone after 13 miles.

He stayed comfortably in front until the 22-mile mark when he was bundled into the barriers by the protestor.

Even before then he looked likely to be caught by the fast-chasing Baldini but the incident massively helped the Italian's gold chase.

Once in front, Baldini looked in little danger of being caught despite the best efforts of Keflezighi, who had to make do with second.

Remarkably, de Lima managed to hold onto his bronze medal position much to the delight of the crowd, who had watched the earlier incident on the big screen and greeted his entry to the Panathinaiko Stadium with a massive cheer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here