Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Channel 5 PM War Films

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I watched The Great Escape on Tuesday. Well the last 45 mins or so anyway.
Never seen it before and was surprised when Steve McQueen didn't escape over the fence. I believed he jumped it on his bike.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Love the Dambusters film. I've posted elsewhere here before about how for a while I worked as a volunteer at Brooklands, before it opened properly as a museum, alongside Norman Boorer who was a key part of Barnes Wallis's team. We spent a lot of time together and he showed me all sorts of amazing blueprints and drawings of prototype and real aircraft and more from the Vickers days and had so many stories. It's a regret of mine that I was too young (13 or 14) to fully appreciate the significance or privilege of the experience or think to record it. I knew it was special, but not quite how special.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Thanks for the heads up Jez. My afternoon is complete.
There is something very therapeutic watching black & white films, particularly a feel good war film.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
The model railway just bought it

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Historians would have us believe that the effect of The DB raids on the outcome of the war was
negligible. All it did was kill hundreds if not thousands of workers in the factories/populations around the dams - so actually
a bad thing.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Dambusters at 13.10 followed by Where Eagles Dare.

First one reasonably historically accurate, second one utter tosh
If you’re telling me that Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood weren’t members of an elite group of commandos who must enter an almost impregnable Nazi stronghold to rescue a high-ranking American officer, then frankly I don’t know what to believe anymore.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Historians would have us believe that the effect of The DB raids on the outcome of the war was
negligible. All it did was kill hundreds if not thousands of workers in the factories/populations around the dams - so actually
a bad thing.
Have to dispute that, disrupting the water supply to the Ruhr Industries was not 'negligible'.

And all bombing is a 'bad thing' if you are of that persuasion. Bombing Nazi Germany was not a bad thing in my view.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
If you’re telling me that Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood weren’t members of an elite group of commandos who must enter an almost impregnable Nazi stronghold to rescue a high-ranking American officer, then frankly I don’t know what to believe anymore.
Especially as Burton is clearly 40 plus.. :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here