Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Changing tastes. A question..

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Close season thread alert !

It's well known as we get older our tastes change / mature.

As I have eased into middle age with my trademark grace and dignity (ahem) I have developed an appetite for and appreciation of;

Strong cheeses
Malbec
Offal
Olives
Deli meats
Fruits and vegetables

And some;
Jazz
Live orchestral music
Poetry

Also;
Radio 4
Dominoes
A varied exercise routine based mainly outdoors

And lost my appetite for

The vast majority of films
Small talk
Heavy drinking
Smoking
Weight lifting and long gym sessions
News
Junk food.

What about you? What have you picked up along the way and what have you discarded along the path of life?
That's a nice positive list. I'd do one except I feel like my ageing profile is almost entirely take up with all the things I've become completely intolerant of.

Pretty much any form of loud noises and busy places.
Social Media the Internet culture, and pretty much any of the vernacular associated with it.
Much younger people calling me 'mate'
Litter
A lack of indicating
The incessant need for everyone to have a dog. And the concomitant dogsh@t everywhere.
The prevalence of plastic surgery.

On the upside I really like comfortable shoes and clothes and almost always buy stuff from outdoors shops these days.

So all in all. I'm preeeeetty coool.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I ... almost always buy stuff from outdoors shops these days.
7bc2f986-990f-11e7-b83c-9588e51488a0

luge

Dec 18, 2010
Actually thinking about it - i have these new things:

I get very pissed off with people not responding to things - especially if it's a business thing that is being worked on. It happens so much.

I avoid the tube at all possible costs.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Swede. Couldn’t stand the stuff since childhood until I tried it again in my early 50’s. Probably because I’m of the generation whose mums used to boil the shit out of every vegetable on earth before they served it 😂

Now it’s pretty much a part of every Sunday roast I cook.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Pre Amex, my football routine comprised of going to the gym 1-2pm, drive to Withdean, watch the game and then go home.

Amex era, my football comprised more of a day out with a pre and post match beer and I started to get introduced to real ales and different beers.

So my main change in life over the last 10 years has been a change from lagers/ciders to different ales (Evening Star type beers).

Adders1

Jan 14, 2013
As I approach 40, I’ve been reflecting on this a lot recently
- due to living overseas and a high pressure job I have found myself with no interest in socializing late at night or with groups of lads only - much prefer an afternoon with a small mixed group, or even better - on my own.
- have definitely obtained a taste for red wine over beer, but it’s becoming a bit of a problem
- find myself getting less and less wound up by other peoples opinions, the only thing which irritates me nowadays are TV adverts.
- have no time for video games any more,

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Aren't people just describing ageing rather than changing tastes?

I walk less than I did in my 20s, I don't stay up so late and don't drink so much and definitely play less sport, but none of that is due to my tastes changing; it's just my body is not up to it. I'd certainly do a lot of these things if I could.

But my actual tastes, my likes and dislikes have hardly changed: I wish I could say the same about my body 😂

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I walk less than I did in my 20s, I don't stay up so late and don't drink so much and definitely play less sport, but none of that is due to my tastes changing; it's just my body is not up to it. I'd certainly do a lot of these things if I could.

But my actual tastes, my likes and dislikes have hardly changed: I wish I could say the same about my body 😂
I don’t think so, not all the time.

From my own list, 15 years ago I genuinely couldn’t understand why people had a dog. Now I can’t understand why you wouldn’t. That, to me, is taste. It affects the aesthetics of your house, who you talk to, how you spend your money.

The reading thing is even more down to taste. I read anything twenty years ago (except Mills and Boone or The Sun). Now I have time for about three books a year. I need them to be GOOD. Anything average gets binned after one or two reading sessions.

Turned 30 in October...

Definitely become open to more music, I used to just obsess over electronic music, as I mix it, now I like a varied selection of music genres which has definitely helped me become a better dj.

Starting to enjoy early nights and staying in or at least not going out and getting battered, although that still happens quite a bit.

5 years ago I started taking my career very seriously which has paid dividends.

Found a hobby with my passion and am learning to fly.

Definitely view marriage and to have children as my next thing to aim for.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Pre Amex, my football routine comprised of going to the gym 1-2pm, drive to Withdean, watch the game and then go home.

Amex era, my football comprised more of a day out with a pre and post match beer and I started to get introduced to real ales and different beers.

So my main change in life over the last 10 years has been a change from lagers/ciders to different ales (Evening Star type beers).
Rather oddly, given that lager is meant to be a younger person's drink - I have moved from drinking nothing but real ales in my teens-30s, to mainly drinking lager and cider in my 50s.
Not necessarily - see above. I seem to have gone the opposite way!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
57, retired 3 years ago

Far, far more patient now. Don’t get stressed about things like traffic jams or flight delays like I used to. Also driving more slowly (although ironically just had to do my first speed awareness course)
I’m much tidier - I put things away properly rather than slinging them into drawers/cupboards
Can’t stand noisy bars/pubs, cackling groups of women or teenagers saying ’like’ all the time
Hardly listen to any music at all nowadays, prefer radio talk
Stopped reading newspapers, either paper or online (used to avidly read when commuting)
Watching some vacuous TV now that my parents used to watch and made my toes curl (Antiques Roadshow for example)
Eating/drinking and exercising habits haven’t really changed in 20+ years

Flagship

Jan 15, 2018
Brighton
I've got more time now for older people.
I've got more time for my wife.
I love my local pubs more than ever.
I ride my motorbike faster now than when I was younger.

I hate dinner parties and all the small talk so havn't done one for fifteen years.
I can't abide listening for hours about peoples' ailments, operations and illnesses.
I dislike youngsters who say they have nothing to do, like, it's an excuse for anti-social behaviour like, you know, like.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I can’t queue for anything now or stand for hours at a concert . I physically can but I don’t want to.
Festivals, I used to do a couple each year and loved them! but the past few years found myself going back to the tent early and laying awake for hours because the music Is so loud..

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
I like to potter around more. A bit of gardening here, reading my book, bit of housework etc. Before I would've done one thing intensely to get it all done in one go.

I really enjoy peace and quiet. I dislike a noisy bar/pub, I just tune out now, whereas down a local with a group of mates is a real joy.

I've lost my joy of travelling abroad. I travelled the world extensively in my twenties and early thirties, but now I'm in my mid forties I'm more excited to visit places like Scotland or Wales. I'm not sure if that's an anxiety thing (my husband is a terrible traveller and so always worried about him). At the moment I can't be arsed to deal with it, maybe when I retire in ten years.

Like others I've lost interest in TV and film. I'd rather pick up a good book.

I embrace my inner geek. I make time for me now as well as others. Love planespotting, so indulge in that and don't care what others think.

I actually have a lot more tolerance for younger people (teenagers and above) these days and quite happily chat to them. Lost all tolerance for babies/kids (didn't have much anyway).

Found a real love of cheese 😂

Oh and one more. I've taken to wearing a watch again. Got so fed up having to take my phone out my pocket to find out the time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here