Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Changes to the organisation of Premier League 2 for 2023-24

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
So instead of two tiers there will be 1 25 team league.

Teams will be seeded based on the previous 3 years performances.

Each team will be put into a seeded pot, presumably there will be 5 seeded pots.

Teams will play each team in there own pot home and away, they will also play 5 (or 4?) teams in other pots and the table will be tallied accordingly.

So our fixtures will comprise of:

- 4 matches home and away versus the other 4 teams in our pot? (8 matches)
-4/5 matches home and away versus teams in the other pots (8 or 10 matches)

But it seems that league is meant to run for 21 weeks, so not sure how you square that discrepancy.

At the end of the season there will be a 16 team knockout competition to determine winner of the league.

I have probably missed something but seems simple enough? The strange thing being we won't be playing everyone in the league, just the teams in our seeded pot, plus a few others.

This is apparently what is happening in the Champions League?? Haven't kept up with that news.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Swiss-style? Sounds full of holes to me.

Goldstone Guy

Nov 18, 2006
Hove
Apparently there will be changes to PL2 next season, with just a single division containing the 25 clubs. I've read the following article, but I don't understand how the fixture list will be created.

Premier League 2 to switch to Swiss-style format from next season

If anybody can help explain it to this simpleton, go right ahead.

:shrug:
My interpretation of it based on your link is as follows:
Teams are seeded 1-25. There are 5 bands, based on the seeds, so band 1 would be seeds 1-5, band 2 seeds 6-10, band 3 seeds 11-15 etc.
The groups would then be formed of one team from each of the five bands. Teams play all the other teams in their group and 4/5 teams in the other groups (presumably arranged so that each team plays a variety of bands/seeds in the other groups to make it fair).
It doesn't make sense to me if they put all the top seeds in one group, all the bottom seeds in another group etc and then you play all the teams in your group. That way it would be an advantage to be in the bottom seeds, and a disadvantage to be in the top seeds.

Edit - having thought about it that last bit is wrong, because if the top seeds were in the same group, bottom seeds in the same group etc, you'd still end up playing a top seed 4 times, a bottom seed team 4 times etc. So in summary I have no idea what I'm talking about and deletebeep....... is probably right.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Apparently there will be changes to PL2 next season, with just a single division containing the 25 clubs. I've read the following article, but I don't understand how the fixture list will be created.

Premier League 2 to switch to Swiss-style format from next season

If anybody can help explain it to this simpleton, go right ahead.

:shrug:
Strewth! - if you're baffled we've got no hope - it's usually you we rely on for information/explanations!

Reading it, it doesn't really make sense - home and away matches against the other teams in your pot: 8 games.
"....plus four or five teams in all other pots, either home or away" - so is that another 4 or 5 games, or 8 or 10?
Then the top 16 clubs go into a knock out competition to find the ultimate champions.....

.....so how the f*** does that equate to "each team will play 20 matches in the regular season"?

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
So instead of two tiers there will be 1 25 team league.

Teams will be seeded based on the previous 3 years performances.

Each team will be put into a seeded pot, presumably there will be 5 seeded pots.

Teams will play each team in there own pot home and away, they will also play 5 (or 4?) teams in other pots and the table will be tallied accordingly.

So our fixtures will comprise of:

- 4 matches home and away versus the other 4 teams in our pot? (8 matches)
-4/5 matches home and away versus teams in the other pots (8 or 10 matches)

But it seems that league is meant to run for 21 weeks, so not sure how you square that discrepancy.

At the end of the season there will be a 16 team knockout competition to determine winner of the league.

I have probably missed something but seems simple enough? The strange thing being we won't be playing everyone in the league, just the teams in our seeded pot, plus a few others.

This is apparently what is happening in the Champions League?? Haven't kept up with that news.
Would be twice home and away against the other 4 teams in the same pot (16 games) plus 5 games vs teams from other pots (home or away, not home and away) - making the 21 game weeks prior to the ko stage wouldn’t it ?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Would be twice home and away against the other 4 teams in the same pot (16 games) plus 5 games vs teams from other pots (home or away, not home and away) - making the 21 game weeks prior to the ko stage wouldn’t it ?
According to the link it’s only 20 games (played over 21 game weeks) so there are many possible permutations and the link doesn’t explain them well.

Another way could be 1 game against each of the other teams in your pot either home or away (4 games). Then 16 games against teams split across the other 4 pots (playing either home or away against 4 out of the 5 teams from each pot). In theory this would provide the most even and fair break down of matches no matter what pot you were drawn in as you’d play 4 teams from each of the 5 pots.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
According to the link it’s only 20 games (played over 21 game weeks) so there are many possible permutations and the link doesn’t explain them well.

Another way could be 1 game against each of the other teams in your pot either home or away (4 games). Then 16 games against teams split across the other 4 pots (playing either home or away against 4 out of the 5 teams from each pot). In theory this would provide the most even and fair break down of matches no matter what pot you were drawn in as you’d play 4 teams from each of the 5 pots.
Quite possibly...... :shrug: :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here