Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Champions League going to BT Sport

D

Deleted member 18477

Like i have said before if i was a bt shareholder i would be very worried, this is going to end in tears.

Why? I'd say things look pretty strong for BT shareholders.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
So one weak group stage game per British team. That's all they have to do to honour the commitment.

Honestly, why would they do that?

As I said before FTA games are a chance to massively promote the subscription service AND pull in £££ from advertisers.

Under the existing model both Sky and ITV make money out of the Champions League but in different ways. From 2015, BT will make money out of it in different ways too.

(As for BT shareholders being worried about the outlay on sports rights, I think they were more worried about losing 20,000 broadband subscribers to Sky each month - or whatever it was)

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I'll be talking about it on the BBC News Channel just after 7pm. Suspect it won't be driving housewives to switch over channels from Strictly or X Factor though...

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Honestly, why would they do that?

As I said before FTA games are a chance to massively promote the subscription service AND pull in £££ from advertisers.

Under the existing model both Sky and ITV make money out of the Champions League but in different ways. From 2015, BT will make money out of it in different ways too.

(As for BT shareholders being worried about the outlay on sports rights, I think they were more worried about losing 20,000 broadband subscribers to Sky each month - or whatever it was)

If they're going to put their best games free to air, why would people bother to subscribe? They'll make money on adverts but that's not really the point of the business which is basically about having as many broadband customers as possible signed up.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
No great loss to terrestrial tv as far as I'm concerned. Have so little interest in CL.
this, never watch the matches - used to watch the occasional UEFA/Europa League match but I can do without it fairly easily,

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
If they're going to put their best games free to air, why would people bother to subscribe?

Come on now. They're not going to give away ALL the best games, are they?

Just as ITV don't show all/many of the best games now. (Or both legs of ANY tie)

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Come on now. They're not going to give away ALL the best games, are they?

Just as ITV don't show all/many of the best games now. (Or both legs of ANY tie)

ITV have no say in which games they show. They just pick the best one available on the night they hold the rights for (commercially the best, that is). Just as they always have done.

It'll be interesting to see the BT approach and I'm sure everyone will be delighted if they're as generous as you suggest. Time will tell.

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
According to the original article, UEFA stipulate that some of the matches must still be free to air.

I think it'd be interesting to see how popular the CL is in this country without the effectively free advertising/hype it gets from ITV, I wonder if most people wouldn't be bothered until the quarter finals.
I never bother until the quarter finals

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Shan't really miss this to be honest however the obscene money paid for it is a massive gamble by BT

bha100

Aug 25, 2011
Why? I'd say things look pretty strong for BT shareholders.

BT are like kids in a sweet shop trying to buy everything in sight at any cost, the money they are spunking on sports rights are ridiculous, £900 for c/l & e/l that is laughable, c/l only represented 3% of viewing on sky. They currently have 2 million subscribers, how many of them are paying subscribers? it's only going to cost the end user more in the long run because the current model of offering the channels free to b/b customers is not sustainable.I don't subscribe to sky.

D

Deleted member 18477

BT are like kids in a sweet shop trying to buy everything in sight at any cost, the money they are spunking on sports rights are ridiculous, £900 for c/l & e/l that is laughable, c/l only represented 3% of viewing on sky. They currently have 2 million subscribers, how many of them are paying subscribers? it's only going to cost the end user more in the long run because the current model of offering the channels free to b/b customers is not sustainable.I don't subscribe to sky.

BT want their share of broadband customers back. That's what they're in this for really. The Live sport is an enticing ploy to do just that - and it works as demonstrated by Sky over the last 5 to 10 years...

I think its great as Murdoch is an utter prick!

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
I go out of my way to avoid this stupid competition.

The most pointless aspect of the game.

Why so many squeal at delight of Sparta Prague vs CSKA Moscow I will never know.

And who wants to see English clubs do well in Europe (other than their own fans). Unless of course you want the gulf between the haves and have nots to extend.

bha100

Aug 25, 2011
BT want their share of broadband customers back. That's what they're in this for really. The Live sport is an enticing ploy to do just that - and it works as demonstrated by Sky over the last 5 to 10 years...

I think its great as Murdoch is an utter prick!

Indeed it is and if they have to result to this in order to win back phone and bb customers then it just shows what a crap and over priced product they have,how about this for a radical idea,why not invest all that cash in a more competitive telecommunications product that can stem the flow of customers leaving.

D

Deleted member 18477

Indeed it is and if they have to result to this in order to win back phone and bb customers then it just shows what a crap and over priced product they have,how about this for a radical idea,why not invest all that cash in a more competitive telecommunications product that can stem the flow of customers leaving.

You need more than broadband these days mate... Sport sells. Simple as that.

BT are trying with their roll out of super fast broadband which is a good product. However sky TV is better at the mo and offer a fuller package... So BT had to get involved with more media to compete. Otherwise they would have gone broke in a few years...

bha100

Aug 25, 2011
You need more than broadband these days mate... Sport sells. Simple as that.

BT are trying with their roll out of super fast broadband which is a good product. However sky TV is better at the mo and offer a fuller package... So BT had to get involved with more media to compete. Otherwise they would have gone broke in a few years...

Would have gone broke in a few years, not so sure about that but with all the money they are spunking on sports rights for 2 channels you may well be right, I'm sure the billions they are spending could be better spent on their core business.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here