Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Should have kept it in Russia

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
I don't know the answer but Clubs have got to encourage fans NOT to travel without a valid ticket. Liverpool had 20k tickets issued to them and took about 50k fans - that's not acceptable and will lead to the trouble we saw .

Plus isn't there meant to be cost of living crisis ? Obviously not for some !

Good advise , Jurgen Klopp was widely quoted as encouraging the opposite though

https://talksport.com/football/1102994/jurgen-klopp-liverpool-tickets-champions-league-real-madrid/

Jurgen Klopp has encouraged Liverpool fans to travel to Paris for their Champions League final with Real Madrid, even if they don’t have a ticket.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
French minister Gérald Darmanin told a press conference on Monday 30,000 to 40,000 Liverpool fans had turned up for the game either without tickets or with counterfeits.

About 70% of tickets presented by about 62,000 Liverpool fans were fake, the French interior minister said, and whereas 97% of Real Madrid fans had made it to their seats by the original 9pm kick-off time, only 50% of Liverpool supporters had reached their stands by then.

Darmanin said the fact that Liverpool supporters had been issued with paper rather than digital tickets had enabled “massive, industrial-scale and organised fraud with fake tickets”.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Good advise , Jurgen Klopp was widely quoted as encouraging the opposite though

https://talksport.com/football/1102994/jurgen-klopp-liverpool-tickets-champions-league-real-madrid/

Jurgen Klopp has encouraged Liverpool fans to travel to Paris for their Champions League final with Real Madrid, even if they don’t have a ticket.

My biggest take from that is that the leeches from Uefa only give 40,000 tickets to fans of the clubs involved in a stadium that holds 75,000. I'd say that's pretty scandalous and with all the money sloshing around from their "corporate partners" they can't even organise proper security. I note Rangers and Frankfurt fans are also urging an investigation into their final. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-61521682
https://www.scottishdailyexpress.co.uk/sport/football/rangers-hit-uefa-damning-dossier-27100454

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
My biggest take from that is that the leeches from Uefa only give 40,000 tickets to fans of the clubs involved in a stadium that holds 75,000. I'd say that's pretty scandalous and with all the money sloshing around from their "corporate partners" they can't even organise proper security. I note Rangers and Frankfurt fans are also urging an investigation into their final. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-61521682
https://www.scottishdailyexpress.co.uk/sport/football/rangers-hit-uefa-damning-dossier-27100454

As UEFA have said , 94% of ticket revenue from the final goes to both clubs. If they didn’t sell expensive corporate tickets, sponsorship deals etc the clubs would get less money. He said no club has ever gone to them and suggested a model of bigger allocations at much lower prices and taking the revenue hit …

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
As UEFA have said , 94% of ticket revenue from the final goes to both clubs. If they didn’t sell expensive corporate tickets, sponsorship deals etc the clubs would get less money. He said no club has ever gone to them and suggested a model of bigger allocations at much lower prices and taking the revenue hit …

Which of course makes it perfectly acceptable....

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

I’m not sure what you are arguing here. If the Albion reached a European final I would want a large ticket allocation regardless of whether or not Barber had argued for it.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I’m not sure what you are arguing here. If the Albion reached a European final I would want a large ticket allocation regardless of whether or not Barber had argued for it.

Agreed. But just saying the clubs don’t based on greed hence the ESL. Klopp was saying how disgraceful it was, and had it explained to him. Fans need to put pressure on their clubs to table a motion for it

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Big fan of some of the replies

“Take it down as they are accusing us of stuff”

What they mean is take down the evidence so they can claim they are faultless.

As someone else pointed out, seems pretty full as well.

No, what they are saying is that this feeds into a deliberate narrative of blame shifting. Which I agree with.

No-one is saying all the Liverpool fans were angels, but many independent observers are saying that all the blame is being unfairly placed on them.

A bit like some on this thread.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It continues. Michael Howard, former tory leader, was at the game. He says he arrived in good time and was directed (with his wife) to a turnstile that was not open. Then it got difficult. This was the reason for the delays. He said he saw no misbehaviour whatsoever by Liverpool supporters.

There is no evidence of mass ticket fraud, even though the French are asserting this. Local thugs were certainly mugging Liverpool (and Madrid) supporters for phones, wallets and tickets, though.

Basically the French are now lying about what happened in order to save face.

Meanwhile the VIP guests were flown in first class, and rushed into the stadium.

Still, after the Euro final, the Brits are in no position to be smug.

Best thing for all concerned? Blame the scousers and Move On! It worked well enough for 30 years after Hillsborough :shrug:

:facepalm:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
UEFA will commission an independent report headed by someone from Portugal.

Breaking news.

Good.

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
I don't think it will happen but what if finals were 2 legs home and away with the finalist stadiums. No neutral venue.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
UEFA will commission an independent report headed by someone from Portugal.

Breaking news.

Good.

Let’s hope they speak with this fella about what happened;

‘But Mathieu Valet, from senior police officers' union the SICP, told the BBC's Newshour the main issue was not ticketless fans or fake tickets, but "three or four hundred French and undocumented delinquents who were there on the concourse of the Stade de France".’

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61633840

They can then catch up with the French Interior Minister about the cover up.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

‘But Mathieu Valet, from senior police officers' union the SICP, told the BBC's Newshour the main issue was not ticketless fans or fake tickets, but "three or four hundred French and undocumented delinquents who were there on the concourse of the Stade de France".’

Indeed.

Hoards of ticketless fans trying to force their way in would be like Hillsborough. And this wasn't like Hillsborough. Nobody was crushed to death at the pinch points.

Liverpool supporters, above all, might be expected to not trigger a mass crush. And they didn't. Fancy that!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

and then goes onto say they need more police. fancy that from a police union :rolleyes:

couple of different things seen on twitter and news. firstly, some French having to climb under the barriers because tickets weren't scanning. some sort of celeb because the steward then asked for a photo. before proceeding to stop a Liverpool fan doing the same :facepalm: second, couple of nice Liverpudlians described after the chaos of the crowds they where directed to a different entrance, got to in without having their tickets actually checked.

fast looking like the omniclusterfudge, with anything that could go wrong, going wrong.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
How many ticketless fans travelled? Honest why bother....

Irrelevant. There were 100,000 Rangers at the UEFA final. Just there to soak up the atmos. Nay bother.

Not for me, Clive, obvs, but I would always rather stay in :wink:

Anyway.....nobody died as far as I am aware, so it really is all about doing things properly, taking responsibility and making sure that lessons really are learned.

I have to say that I am never likely to reach a convivial accomodation with the nation who brought us Jonny Halliday, optional personal hygeine, and Le Front National, especially in matters of British interest, particularly événements sportifs. :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here