Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Champions League 23/24 Thread

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So a Madrid win tomorrow coupled with Brighton/Villa/West Ham not flapping would put England back into a good position.
Italy are all but guaranteed the first extra spot. If England are Brighton, Italy are Man City - we're not catching them.

We want bad results for German teams, so an unlikely win for PSV tomorrow.

Spain could still nick the second place, although it's highly unlikely. I'd take an Inter win to further diminish Spain's chances.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Italy are all but guaranteed the first extra spot.

If England are Brighton, Italy are Man City - we're not catching them.

Spain could still nick the second place, although it's highly unlikely. I'd take an Inter win to further diminish Spain's chances.

West Ham game is massive

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Foot has to be touching the line at point of kick of the ball. Raya was indeed only just off his line as the back foot was in the air when their bloke kicked it. But it was very tight and would have been ballsy to give it. Technically that last one should have been retaken I think.
Thanks. I'm surprised they don't have some kind of technology to decipher that.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Bit confused. What are the rules on keeper movements on penalties ? Raya clearly comes forward before the final penalty is taken.
The IFAB law says:

When the ball is kicked, the defending goalkeeper must have at least part of one foot touching, in line with, or behind, the goal line.

I believe 'in line with' includes above the line, and his right foot appears to cover that from one replay just eyeballing it (he appeared to be diving with his left foot planted in front of the line as it's kicked, but his right leg in the air is bent back a bit, I presume far enough to be deemed to be over the goal line).

Edit: https://www.theifab.com/laws/latest/the-penalty-kick/#procedure

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The IFAB law says:

When the ball is kicked, the defending goalkeeper must have at least part of one foot touching, in line with, or behind, the goal line.

I believe 'in line with' includes above the line, and his right foot appears to cover that from one replay just eyeballing it (he appeared to be diving with his left foot planted in front of the line as it's kicked, but his right leg in the air is bent back a bit, I presume far enough to be deemed to be over the goal line).

Edit: https://www.theifab.com/laws/latest/the-penalty-kick/#procedure
If your interpretation is correct then yes his back leg was in the air but hovering over the line. I thought it had to be touching. Almost impossible rule to 100% be sure of though without loads of cameras being checked for some pens…

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Italy are all but guaranteed the first extra spot. If England are Brighton, Italy are Man City - we're not catching them.

I mentioned I’d seen a predictor saying 85% ish chance we’d still get one of the spots 1 it was before this round of European comps. Not sure where that prediction would be now. Could well be just the Albion knocked out in this phase.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
So a Madrid win tomorrow coupled with Brighton/Villa/West Ham not flapping would put England back into a good position.
Weirdly for Spurs fans, an Arsenal win and progression tonight could be very important and good!

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Weirdly for Spurs fans, an Arsenal win and progression tonight could be very important and good!
It's that strange time of the season when we find ourselves supporting other teams as much as ours in the sense that three points for them may be three points Albion no longer need.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Doesn't really bother me to much, I'll admit I'd rather Arsenal win the league/CL than City

Arsenal have clearly spent money, but they have grown the club to be able to.

Plus if it means CL/EL for Spurs/Brighton who really cares?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Athletico Madrid/Inter Milan game has been worth a watch ..cracking atmosphere…Inter were two up on Agg…pegged back to 2/2 with AM having a chance to win right at the death….on to ET

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Athletico Madrid/Inter Milan game has been worth a watch ..cracking atmosphere…Inter were two up on Agg…pegged back to 2/2 with AM having a chance to win right at the death….on to ET
Watching too.

15 mins from pens.

What a miss by Riquelme to win it!

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I do so love these European nights. Compulsive viewing

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Love them or hate them Barcelona are totally nuts. Starting a 17 year old at centre back in the Champions League. Incredible really.

FCB

Sep 1, 2023
Love them or hate them Barcelona are totally nuts. Starting a 17 year old at centre back in the Champions League. Incredible really.

Cubarsi is the youngest player to make CL debut in a knockout stage game (17 years, 50 days). Previous record holder was David Alaba (17 years, 258 days).

He also played like he's 27 and earned MOTM award.

Barca is also the first team to start a CL KO game with two U18 players.

Incredible stat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here