Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Champagne what a load of bollox by the French

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Quite right. The Somerset area of Cheddar should also have fought to keep the Cheddar name.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Quite right. The Somerset area of Cheddar should also have fought to keep the Cheddar name.

What quite right that they can make a town called Champagne stop calling their wine Champagne after a few hundred years? I don't think so, they are hardly a threat to French Champagne are they and the place is actually called Champagne?

It's the process called cheddaring that makes Cheddar cheese, not its place of origin.

Cheddaring is a step in the production of cheese where, after heating, the curd is kneaded with salt, then is cut into cubes to drain the whey, then stacked and turned.

Joseph Harding of Somerset, was responsible for the introduction of modern cheese making techniques in the mid nineteenth century, and has been described as the "father of Cheddar Cheese". He himself took the method to Scotland and North America. So it's hardly a case of Somerset ways of cheese making being stolen by people outside the "traditional area".

The EU does, however, recognise "West Country Farmhouse Cheddar" as a protected designation of origin (PDO). To qualify, the cheese must be made in the traditional manner using local ingredients in one of the four designated counties of South West England: Somerset, Devon, Dorset, or Cornwall.

What quite right that they can make a town called Champagne stop calling their wine Champagne after a few hundred years? I don't think so, they are hardly a threat to French Champagne are they and the place is actually called Champagne?

There's a village in central Italy called Sambuca. Their football team used to play in the same league as the team from the town that I lived in.

They have no claim whatsoever to the name that is given to the drink, which was first imported into Italy from the middle east (through the port of Civitavecchia) in the mid nineteenth century. But that doesn't stop the good people of Sambuca putting it about that their village is the "home" of this drink.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I always wondered if Buffalo Wings, so favoured in North America, actually came from that drab excuse for a town just over the border from Niagara...even though they are chicken and certainly nothing to do with buffalos.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here