Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CH. Is he good enough for the PL?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
It's a very fair question because Norwich fans will tell you he was out of his depth in the season they got relegated.

In their view he was far too negative with his tactics and didn't have tactical alternatives. Plus he spent a lot of money on a striker (Van Wolfswinkel) who was hopeless. On the other hand, he did fine with Newcastle in the PL so it's not simple.

For me the key question would be has he learned enough from his previous experiences to know best how to set up a team which would, inevitably. lose a lot of games during a PL season. For instance, would he be more adventurous, would he be more tactically adaptable next time.

But I think he'd be fine. He's intelligent, calm, thoughtful and experienced and I think he'd use all of those to good effect. Plus he keeps the team's spirit and mentality together at all times which would be crucial when we did hit those bad spells.

The Norwich board, unfairly imo, publically undermined him just before Christmas that season. This would have had a negative effect on the players and the fans and it became a self fulfilled prophecy. Apart from Van Wolfswinkel it was a Paul Lambert team.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Is the f@cking Premier League good enough for Chris Hughton!

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
The Norwich board, unfairly imo, publically undermined him just before Christmas that season. This would have had a negative effect on the players and the fans and it became a self fulfilled prophecy. Apart from Van Wolfswinkel it was a Paul Lambert team.

Yes, may be right. I don't endorse what Norwich fans think of CH, just reporting how they see it.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Depends on the strength of the team if we went up. I presume we would have to strengthen in some areas (Bruno can't go on for ever). Winning the Championship is no guide to being able to survive in the Premier league.

If we did ever go up, how long before the first "Hughton Out" thread appears, regardless of his previous record? Football isn't a forgiving game.

Look what happens to most clubs that get promoted to the Premier League for the first time. They either buy big and destroy the team ethos which got them there, or build on the promotion squad selectively. It also depends on the age of the key squad players.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Depends on the strength of the team if we went up. I presume we would have to strengthen in some areas (Bruno can't go on for ever). Winning the Championship is no guide to being able to survive in the Premier league.

If we did ever go up, how long before the first "Hughton Out" thread appears, regardless of his previous record? Football isn't a forgiving game.

Exactly. Pardew is the perfect example. Hero last season. Then fired.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Seen quite a few posts on various threads suggesting that PL pundits consider CH as a good championship manager but can't cut it in the PL.

IMHO, CH has been fantastic for us and he has shaped a team for the future. We have heard a few times on NSC and on other forums about how BHA have not got the best players but have got THE BEST TEAM, which is what has separated us from the rest and is key to any clubs success, (take a look at 'our friends up the road'). I don't think CH had the chance to shape a team like he has with us in the PL and I feel that IF we go up and he stays with us, he will prove them wrong. This is my belief, #KeepTheFaith.

Thoughts?

new member alert. new member bulls*it alert

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Most of the time the prem is an open basket for the lesser clubs....not necessarily the manager that is the issue in the premiership but the ridiculously high demands from supporters and if things go wrong then their is little hope.

It's a dogshite league that bores the fack out of me and it's all about bloom getting his rewards for me as I have no interest in that league.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Fair point. Happy for mods to delete the thread on a "no-brainer stating the obvious" remit. I'm just disgusted at how he was treated in the PL and would love for him to prove himself in the top flight with Albion.

It's a fair question

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
It's a very fair question because Norwich fans will tell you he was out of his depth in the season they got relegated.

In their view he was far too negative with his tactics and didn't have tactical alternatives. Plus he spent a lot of money on a striker (Van Wolfswinkel) who was hopeless. On the other hand, he did fine with Newcastle in the PL so it's not simple.

For me the key question would be has he learned enough from his previous experiences to know best how to set up a team which would, inevitably. lose a lot of games during a PL season. For instance, would he be more adventurous, would he be more tactically adaptable next time.

But I think he'd be fine. He's intelligent, calm, thoughtful and experienced and I think he'd use all of those to good effect. Plus he keeps the team's spirit and mentality together at all times which would be crucial when we did hit those bad spells.

When he was sacked Norwich weren't in the relegation scrap. It was lambert who achieved that. Hughton will be fine in the Premiership

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
When he was sacked Norwich weren't in the relegation scrap. It was lambert who achieved that. Hughton will be fine in the Premiership

They weren't in the bottom three but they had an insanely hard run-in to the season from that point and Norwich fans will tell you they had no chance of staying up without a change of manager. (Of course they went down anyway).

But I agree with you - CH will be fine if we get there. He's an outstanding manager.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Amazed such a question even needs to be asked.

I actually think it is a good question, and an interesting thread. Personally everything that I have seen and heard from CH since he joined makes me think that he has everything needed to get us up and to keep us in the Prem. Does history say different? Sacked at both Newcastle and Norwich but thought by most to be unfairly so, at least at Newcastle.

I think CH absolutely loves it here and would not leave unless offered a 'biggie', I think TB values his straight talking but under the radar approach. But if and when Premier League status comes under threat then it takes a brave chairman to gamble £180 million on the hope that a so far failing manager will come good in the second half of the season. Glad it is not a call that I will ever need to make!

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
I actually think it is a good question, and an interesting thread. Personally everything that I have seen and heard from CH since he joined makes me think that he has everything needed to get us up and to keep us in the Prem. Does history say different? Sacked at both Newcastle and Norwich but thought by most to be unfairly so, at least at Newcastle.

I think CH absolutely loves it here and would not leave unless offered a 'biggie', I think TB values his straight talking but under the radar approach. But if and when Premier League status comes under threat then it takes a brave chairman to gamble £180 million on the hope that a so far failing manager will come good in the second half of the season. Glad it is not a call that I will ever need to make!

Agree. If we stay in this div I would want him to stay and I really think he would too. He has got something his approach, the low radar thing, muted celebrations, even keel narrative etc that commands respect from the players, not verbally maybe, but in the way they play. It seems like no player in the squad wants to let him, or the team down. Very special. Whatever happens, lets enjoy whats going on and hope he carries on.
:albion2::salute::albion2:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
He wouldn't start every week at his age, but a decent option from the bench if Bruno gets a knock.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Loads of different points to address here on people's comments but I would give you my thoughts before I cover a couple of them.

CH will be as good in the Premier League as he is supported in the transfer market and the strength of recruitment of other clubs around the same time. His strength is in the transfer market so he will recruit well if he is funded sufficiently.

In one year he was coming up against striking Partnerships of Saurez / Sturridge and Silva / Aguero. Competing against that is difficult. You won't get expansive football in the PL under CH so brace yourselves for that when it comes but he is not as defensive as Norwich fans made out and just look at what's happened to Norwich as the CH team has gradually been dismantled. Promoted with his team and as his players have been moved on. They are struggling to compete at the top of the Championship.

Van Wolfwinkel is not as bad a player as some people think. The Norwich Board were told if you want to get the best out of RVW then you need to sign a --- ----------- type player along with him and they wouldn't fund it.

Players he signed like Snodgrass, Redmond, Fer, Howson etc have increased in value, so for the most part his transfer dealings are good and he got shot of a lot of the free loaders sitting at the club.

Norwich would not have gone down under CH. Difficult run in or not. He always picked up points when they got into trouble. The previous year he took them to 11th in the League. At Newcastle he got no money to spend at all.

So in short of he gets backed financially then he will succeed in PL but it will take about 3 or 4 years if you want to get established there. It doesn't happen overnight and in many games it will not be pretty to watch for a few years.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Most of the time the prem is an open basket for the lesser clubs....not necessarily the manager that is the issue in the premiership but the ridiculously high demands from supporters and if things go wrong then their is little hope.

It's a dogshite league that bores the fack out of me and it's all about bloom getting his rewards for me as I have no interest in that league.

Give us a wave from the Preston end next week.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I haven't read all the thread but CH has done enough to be a shoo in to manage us for a full season in the Premier League, should we get there. Even if we got relegated after one season we should stick with him IMO.

I was not impressed when he was appointed, or for his first half season. I am now a big fan, we should stick with him whatever imo

Last edited:

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Norwich would not have gone down under CH. Difficult run in or not. He always picked up points when they got into trouble. .

I don't see how you can possibly know that.

I've got no opinion either way but people I know who follow Norwich say unequivocally that they were going down by that point and they were obviously closer to it than we were.

Whatever. There's no one I'd rather having managing Albion and if we go up I've got confidence we can stay there under CH.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here