Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Central midfield

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Yes seriously - we should have gone two up, LuaLua laid on two really good chances after the first goal.

The second half was a slog but defending well is also part of the game.

Well done Sami.

I understand there will be those who have totally given up him and I don't have any big argument with those people, he's still on very thin ice. But if you couldn't enjoy the progress we've made tonight, then that's a shame

Frankly there was no progress made whatsoever. We were fortunate that Wigan are as bad as us otherwise they'd have had a field day. I'm all for trying to find positives but there are none with this lot apart from Walton being given some experience which he is handling very well. We are a very poorly coached side in serious danger of remaining in the struggle zone which will see crowds disappear even more.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Harsh assessments of Gardner. He actually wasn't too bad tonight. Actually seemed to be TRYING a bit.

I though Gardner looked OK for the first time. In the eagerness to get forward we by-passed the midfield to a certain extent. I thought as we were 1-0 we should have played the defensive possession game a bit more.

Sami did spoil my night by being a clueless manager for the club I've followed for 40 years home and away.

He finally played some in their correct positions but then left such a powder puff midfield in the middle it was laughable.

You're a classic example of a fan who loses objectivity because they hate a manager so much they are utterly blind to when they do some decent things.

Look, hate away if you want, that's your right - but don't insult verbally or the intelligence of the rest of us trying to genuinely watch our football and be more fairminded.

Frankly there was no progress made whatsoever. We were fortunate that Wigan are as bad as us otherwise they'd have had a field day. I'm all for trying to find positives but there are none with this lot apart from Walton being given some experience which he is handling very well. We are a very poorly coached side in serious danger of remaining in the struggle zone which will see crowds disappear even more.

You may well end up being proved right. But not tonight

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
You're a classic example of a fan who loses objectivity because they hate a manager so much they are utterly blind to when they do some decent things.

Look, hate away if you want, that's your right - but don't insult verbally or the intelligence of the rest of us trying to genuinely watch our football and be more fairminded.

Nurse...............nurse.................NURSE He's out of bed again, nurse.

You sir are a condescending "small scratch" as the medical profession call it when giving an injection

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What are the chances Sami is thinking 'the midfield still isn't quite working'.
Makes a small change or 2 for Blackburn.
Then gets hammered on here for 'squad rotation', by all the Sam people that are saying the midfield was terrible.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

I disagree about no progress, players were in positions they actually know. It was a start, a small one, but a start.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
There is no doubt however that Dale Stephens is a huge miss in our cenrtral midfield.

We are desperate for him to get fit and sharpish.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Had I been compiling the Players scores:

Gardner scored tonight so I gave him a point for that.

Which would give him a total of ............ 1.... total for the last three games

Surely Villa have a deal with the Albion that he has to play while on loan.

Dreadful

I'm no fan of Gardner but that is overly harsh.

His goal won us 2 points which is 1 more than you've given him. And his assist (decent crossfield pass) v Rotherham was worth zero?

What I find frustrating about him is he has potential (passing, shooting, mobility) but his decision making and consistency is not yet good enough.

PG

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I must be the only one who actually thought Wigan looked a half decent side to a point and think they will not be in the relegation battle at all

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I must be the only one who actually thought Wigan looked a half decent side to a point and think they will not be in the relegation battle at all

I thought Wigan were as good a side as I have seen this season, just lacked a finisher.

There is absolutely zero chance of them being relegated or struggling in my opinion

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

They will probably be changing their manager soon if results continue as they are. Their biggest problem last night was their shooting. They had a lot of attempts but because their players were leaning back when they shot, the roof was in more danger than the goal most of the time. Other than that part of their game, they looked to have dominated possession and probably deserved at least a point but thankfully didn't get.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here